Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

new cirrus sheepskin jacket

Mark

Practically Family
Hi, just looking for some advice about caring for my new sheepskin flying jacket i received from Cirrus just 2 days ago(it's called the "Defender"). I'd love to post some photos but just seems too complicated! Shame as its really beautiful and to my fairly untrained eye very well put together.
I'm also the proud owner of an Aero HH Highwayman. The Sheepskin jacket seems very thin and delicate in comparison to the Aero it makes me feel a little nervous about wearing it, especially in the rain as i'v heard shrinking of sheepskin flying jackets can happen. Is this true?
How should i care for this new jacket? Some recommend conditioning every month! Laying flat rather than on hangers? I'v always hung my Aero on a wide wooden hanger. Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated.
As a plug for Cirrus i do recommend a look at their stuff it may not be "authentic" enougth for the purists but for me they are a great balance between maintaining an "authentic look" and being pratical (like having hand warmer pockets!) and a touch more up-to-date.

Thanks Guys

Mark

alfyman

One of the Regulars
Hi, just looking for some advice about caring for my new sheepskin flying jacket i received from Cirrus just 2 days ago(it's called the "Defender"). I'd love to post some photos but just seems too complicated! Shame as its really beautiful and to my fairly untrained eye very well put together.
I'm also the proud owner of an Aero HH Highwayman. The Sheepskin jacket seems very thin and delicate in comparison to the Aero it makes me feel a little nervous about wearing it, especially in the rain as i'v heard shrinking of sheepskin flying jackets can happen. Is this true?
How should i care for this new jacket? Some recommend conditioning every month! Laying flat rather than on hangers? I'v always hung my Aero on a wide wooden hanger. Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated.
As a plug for Cirrus i do recommend a look at their stuff it may not be "authentic" enougth for the purists but for me they are a great balance between maintaining an "authentic look" and being pratical (like having hand warmer pockets!) and a touch more up-to-date.

Thanks Guys

Mark
Hi, I have a Cirrus sheepskin jacket Defender also, I love it. I never hang it up and I wouldn't wear it in the rain unlaess you have an umbrella. I have used Leather Boot lotion on it, after having it for several years I still haven't seen any wear out of it. I have some picture in this site somewhere, to upload just open a photo bucket account to put pictures in then just transfer them.

alfyman

One of the Regulars
Alfredo.jpg

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
Congratulations on your new jacket, Mark. To answer your question about jacket care: you don't need to worry too much about shrinkage. I have gotten my sheepskin jackets completely soaked through during a rain storm and have no issues. I condition my jackets once or twice a year and wipe them down if they get dirty (or have bug splats from riding). I think any more than that is probably overkill.

Also, even though sheepskin seems pretty wimpy compared to horsehide, it's actually pretty tough. I agree with Alfyman about storage; try to lay it flat in the bottom of a closet. Otherwise, you may get "hanger stretch marks" near the shoulders where the hanger ends are.

Enjoy your new jacket!

Noel

Mark

Practically Family
Thankyou Alfyman and WhiskeyTangoFox for your replies. It is some what reassuring to know this type of jacket is a little more hardy than i was thinking it was. I'v had it a couple of weeks now and have yet to wear it outside! Not cold enough. I'll take your advice re; laying it down flat, at least during the Summer months.

Thanks again

Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82