Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

need help finding a panama hat

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
Hey everyone, I've liked hats for a long time but ATM I only own three, since Warm weather is coming I wanted a nice summery hat. There is a certain style of panama I like but I don't have much more info. Peter Davison wore it in doctor who. Here is a pic and if anyone knows where I can get a hat like this thank you kindly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fifth_Doctor.jpg

PS
the red band isn't necessary

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Dr. Who's hat.....

Hiya- welcome! That hat has a bump or ridge on the crown, looks like, which would make it an Optimo, I believe. There are generally some hats of that type on eBay. As you may or may not know, with Panama hats you can get decent reasonably-priced ones or you can spend a WHOLE LOT of money.....and at the end of the day it's still a straw hat, IMO. There is also a fella here on the Lounge who sells Panamas- here is his address:http://www.panamabob.com/- he seems to have a pretty wide-ranging selection. I would definitely check eBay, though....depending on your size you might find the right hat at some ridiculous price.....ya never know!

HungaryTom

One Too Many

duggap

Banned
bobalooba said:
what are the differences between the finos, superfinos etcetera?
That is due to the weave count. The more weaves per square inch the more expensive the hat. Those of about 1000 weaves per square inch, so they say, look and feel like linen.:)

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
What type of weave count would you guys suggest?
Keep in mind I'm only going to wear it over the summer and don't need an extremely high quality hat but I want one that will last

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
A bump is a post ( usually made by the OP) meant to send a thread back up to the top of the thread list.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Thanks again!

It's the small things that bug me, so I appreciate the new knowledge. As a professor of mine once said, "The only real question is a stupid one." :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth