Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Advice: Crusher Cap Opportunity

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
OK, I was hoping some people might be able to chime in quickly with an opinion on this. I have a chance to acquire a genuine WW2 USAAC tan crusher cap. There are no photos, but the seller described it as being in excellent condition, in a large size (mine!), and information on a relative to whom it was issued.
I have no particular reason to distrust the seller. In fact, we are on totally neutral ground. However, I can pay with Paypal and they might protect me if things go wrong.

The seller is asking $100. Is this reasonable? I mean, I have not found any consistent pricing on these in my rather unskilled research. But I've seen some insane prices paid. :eusa_doh:

Normally, I'm the sort that might settle for a replica, but for a piece of real history I feel compelled to ask for some sagely guidance.

USAAFAcePilot

One of the Regulars
I'd go for it. I mean, judging that most crusher cap repros start from about $60 and reach onwards, for a piece of real USAAF history for about $40 more, you can't really go wrong.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
If you have not seen it before committing to buy- be sure that it is a genuine "Crusher", rather than one with the stiffening removed, or even a standard, OR visor cap- if a genuine crusher is what you want.
"Crusher" has almost become the default term for a visor cap.

Original Crusher caps were made as such, made differently from the standard
visor caps.

B
T

fishmeok

Vendor
Check this link:
http://acmedepot.com/keepemflying/crusher.shtml

Gives a great overview. Almost any visor hat is sold as a "crusher" these days, but most are just regular sevice caps. not that that isn't authentic, as many fliers could not afford (or were unable to obtain) a "true" crush cap and just used their service visors with the stiffening gromit removed.
Cheers
Mark

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for that link. If I follow the visual examples right, it seems that the true crushers had that "falling back" look about the front, while the converted visor caps tended to keep the insignia straighter because there was still a front spring or plate in place. Am I understanding that correctly?

Anyway, based on the what my seller has said, it sounds like this is a converted visor cap. Still worth it???

fishmeok

Vendor
Yes- you've got it. Also the service hats have a larger diameter cover, the crush caps are about 1" smaller in diameter. I'd hold off on the purchase. Keep an eye on e-bay or save up for one of Dave's Flighter repros:
www.diamondcapco.com

Cheers
Mark

kampkatz

Practically Family
I have two "crushers" that my late father-in-law wore. They are kahki since he served in 5th AAF territory. They were regular covers with the stiffeners removed. They developed a natural floppy look over time. One has a better crush look than the other, but unfortunately shows a few small moth holes. From many photos of the era , it appears that most covers were simply converted in this way to achieve the crush look.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
You hit upon a key element - large size. That alone makes it worth a bit more, so regardless of whether it's a true crusher or a regular service cap with the stiffening grommet removed, I'd say go for it! Speaking as a fellow pumpkin head, that kind of price for a large size isn't all that bad if it's in good condition.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Watch the dates on the tag if it has one, usually under the sweat band. The tan service cap was produced until 1947 I believe, maybe a little bit beyond that too.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
It looks like I got beat-out by somebody else. :eusa_doh: The guy still has an olive brown, but it's not what I'm looking for. So, if somebody wants a lead on a 7 1/2 olive brown soft-bill crusher, let me know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe