Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My third-born child

A few days ago I posted pictures of my first all-new (as opposed to refurbished) hat. This one is my third. (The second has proven a disappointment to his mother and me, after all the sweat and tears and even blood we put into that one. We locked him in the cellar for now and will rework him later.)

But this one is OK, even if the picture ain't so great. Its brim is a little less prominent than the photo would indicate, and the body color is a bit deeper.

The double bow (on both ends) is a slight variation on my usual way of doing it. I'm interested in using the same ribbon to bind the edge, in a Whippet-esque fashion. But I'm still far from confident in my abilities to do a decent job of that.

I avoided some of the mistakes I've made on earlier hats (live and learn) but committed some new ones. It's been said a million times before, but should you be tempted to make your own lids, it wouldn't hurt it hear it again -- just about anyone can make a hat, but doing it right is a lot tougher than it looks. Be prepared to spend a lot of time and effort learning what NOT to do.

IMGP1053.jpg

Stoney

Practically Family
It looks very sharp Tony. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
I particularly like the unusual bow. Whatever mistakes you're referring to are not obvious from the picture. The problem, I've found, with making ones own hats is sometimes being too critical of ones own work. From here your hat looks great. I'm sure you will enjoy wearing it for a long time to come.

Feraud said:
Is the felt black or a dark blue?

It's a dark blue. Indoors, at night, it looks almost black. In daylight, it's a deep blue. I'll get some more bodies in this color, for sure.

That's the look I was shooting for, Bud. Red (maroon, burgundy, whatever) on blue seems a natural to me.

As to the bow ... I made one much like it of blue ribbon, for another hat, but opted against using it. (It'll get used eventually.) That double bow (doubled both front and back, as opposed to just a double tail) isn't all that typical, but it isn't exactly rare, either. I've been making a careful study of bows of late, to gather "inspiration" for my own hats. (Or, to put it another way, to steal ideas.) But I gotta tell you, so many bows are just plain shoddy, especially on the newer, factory-made hats. Should you ever question if the additional cost of a custom-made hat is justified, take a look at the ribbon work. Note how, in most cases, the bow is secured to the body without any visible stitches. And contrast that with how it is typically done in the factories.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
handlebar bart said:
NICE! What color is that bound edge Bud?:eusa_clap

Bart, it is ? I do not want to come off as flip, but the photo is very accurate. It has a purple hue to it. The hat is a Dobbs 20 I picked up off of ebay. Is the ribbon and binding original, I could not say. I do like it though. Here is another photo.

MVC-049F.jpg

MVC-043F1.jpg

This is how it look upon arival.

adf7_1_b.jpg

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Bud-n-Texas said:
Bart, it is ? I do not want to come off as flip, but the photo is very accurate. It has a purple hue to it. The hat is a Dobbs 20 I picked up off of ebay. Is the ribbon and binding original, I could not say. I do like it though. Here is another photo.

MVC-049F.jpg

MVC-043F1.jpg

This is how it look upon arival.

adf7_1_b.jpg

A real stunning color combo. I thought it might be purple, real sharp looking. AAnd wow, what a improvement from its previous condition.:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld