Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My perfect Jacket??? Aero, Schott, etc

1avrgjoe

Familiar Face
I've spent a lot trying to find my jacket. I want one that I can wear for almost any situation, rugged, well made and good looking. I love Schott 141 but not appropriate for all times. I have Aero FQHH HWM BK which is really close but I would like it more if it weren't so boxy, I want it more fitted at the waist. I was thinking of trying Aero 30's Half Belt but I do not like the belt. Maybe I can ask Aero to make me a half belt front w/no belt back, I also like that the 1/2 Belt doesn't have the stitching around the bottom like the HWM. Does anyone know if Aero will do this? Any suggestions of other brands I might like would be appreciated.

Edward

Bartender
You can ask them. I don't see any reason for it to be impossible. I think I have seen a plain-back Thirties "halfbelt" (no-belt?) round here before. Aero are moving more in a direction of stock designs with less customisation than was the case under prior management, but they're not saying no to everything, I think. Worth a try.

Windward

Practically Family
....I have Aero FQHH HWM BK which is really close but I would like it more if it weren't so boxy, I want it more fitted at the waist....

I know exactly what you are talking about - I went from HWM to the Windward and it fits everytime very well at the waist....but aware if you order your size its a short jacket and maybe you need 1" or 2" on the lenght to cover the belt - and then it will be perfect.

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
Hi 1avrgjoe, I would recommend Johnson Leathers out of San Francisco. They really enjoy doing full on custom work and are capable of creating almost any jacket design that you can come up with (within reason of course). Search this forum for Johnson Leathers Custom to get a better idea of what they are capable of as their own website does not do their products justice.

The quality of their custom work is every bit as good as Aero, Schott and the other usual suspects. Their customer service is outstanding and their turnaround times for full custom work is very reasonable (typically 5-6 weeks).

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Hi 1avrgjoe, I would recommend Johnson Leathers out of San Francisco. They really enjoy doing full on custom work and are capable of creating almost any jacket design that you can come up with (within reason of course). Search this forum for Johnson Leathers Custom to get a better idea of what they are capable of as their own website does not do their products justice.

The quality of their custom work is every bit as good as Aero, Schott and the other usual suspects. Their customer service is outstanding and their turnaround times for full custom work is very reasonable (typically 5-6 weeks).

+1
There are absolutely zero limits on what Alan at Johnson's can do with regards to customization.
I saw a wonderful grizzly jacket he was shipping to Japan. Never would I have expected them to make such a jacket from browsing their website.
The only downside of JL is their lack of many variants of horsehide or goatskin. But you can special order these on your own or even commission Alan to find them for you.
But they have many different variations of cowhides, and even some exotics, such as buffalo.
Great service and company. The same can be said for most of the favs here but they are truly undiscovered/underrated.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Given you are in the USA "Joe" I'd give a +2 for Johnsons ... little bit of a wait but great quality jackets IMHO. Their steerhide chioices are GREAT both in finish, colours and weight.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
"Perfect Jacket"? There ain't no sech animal....

Worf

+1 that's exactly why I've owned about 25 different VLJs over the last year or so.

I say go with a halfbelt. Classy. You'll get over the whole halfbelt thing after a few dozen compliments from strangers ;)

Or perhaps a well fitted A2?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe