Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New Whippet... the good news and the bad

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Well, I was excited to finally find a Whippet I could afford. It arrived in the mails today and it really is a nice example. A pretty steely gray, good shape, all parts present, useful and accounted for, nice and soft.

So, the auction had it at a size 7.

This is where the "bad" comes in....

It is a size 7-1/4, not a 7. It floats around on my head like crazy. I am sooooo bummed. Now what do I do? Trade someone on the board for a size 7 Whippet? Sell it?

I could use some advice.

stetson_whippet_01.jpg

stetson_whippet_02.jpg

stetson_whippet_03.jpg

stetson_whippet_04.jpg

stetson_whippet_05.jpg

stetson_whippet_06.jpg

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I would say trade it here. Barring that, you might even make a profit reselling it, as 7 is the more common size.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Sell it and wait for another in your size. I don't know what you paid in this instance. But all else being equal, the larger size is generally worth more. Of course, if you stumble on a trade that makes you happy, so much the better.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Yeah, I guess I'll end up selling it. Even when I stuff the band it is wobbly on me and I am not much of a band stuffing fan. If any Lounger out there has a size 7 Whippet in comparable condition, I'd do a trade, though.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah, I guess I'll end up selling it. Even when I stuff the band it is wobbly on me and I am not much of a band stuffing fan. If any Lounger out there has a size 7 Whippet in comparable condition, I'd do a trade, though.

Sheeite, man. You could ebay THAT for enough to but TWO size seven Whippets, eh?

Actually, it's to the original seller's misfortune the right size was not listed, else he could have gotten more for it.

Another thought, depending on your pocketbook, is to have Optimo resize it for you. A 71/4
down to a 7 is not that bad.

Then again, you could follow Blaine's advice and Ebay it for a possibly higher cost with the larger size. Size 7 Whippets are not that rare right now.

Nice hat, nonetheless.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Rudie, I have been trying that since I got it in. I'm kicking around keeping it, of course. I have this fluffy stuff that is used for stuffing seems in sewing. It is cotton and fluffy that does a pretty good job behind the band. But, I just don't like the way stuffing the band makes the leather wavy. There's no help for it, either.

Anyway, you guys have given me a lot to think about.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I say keep it, at least till you find one your size. Nobody sees the wavy leather, so you can wear it and look great.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Rudie, I have been trying that since I got it in. I'm kicking around keeping it, of course. I have this fluffy stuff that is used for stuffing seems in sewing. It is cotton and fluffy that does a pretty good job behind the band. But, I just don't like the way stuffing the band makes the leather wavy. There's no help for it, either.

Anyway, you guys have given me a lot to think about.

Its really only partly a stuffing issue--the crown is wider on a larger size and your head is not--stuffing pushes out the base of the crown just a little bit more so the width may even be a little worse on the exterior. Depending upon the shape of your face, the wider crown may look both larger than your face and bad--individual results vary. There's more to hat sizing than gripping your cranium.

Last edited:

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Excellent points, rlk! Something to consider. I keep looking at it in the mirror and it does look a tiny bit large... but no too bad. I am vacillating back and forth on keeping it and throwing it on the bay.

Mocheman

One of the Regulars
If its just slightly large on your noggin I would keep it. You may be just obsessing on the fact that it is not the size you thought(I am guilty of this all the time). I've found that felt strips are great behind the sweat band. I have a couple that are slightly too big and I've used the felt on the sides of the hat and after wearing them for a while they tend to settle nicely on to the head.

Remember too that if you keep it for a month or so to decide if you want it the value of the hat isn't going to go down.

So forget it's the wrong size and wear it for awhile outside of the house. It's a great looking hat.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, I was excited to finally find a Whippet I could afford. It arrived in the mails today and it really is a nice example. A pretty steely gray, good shape, all parts present, useful and accounted for, nice and soft.

So, the auction had it at a size 7.

This is where the "bad" comes in....

It is a size 7-1/4, not a 7. It floats around on my head like crazy. I am sooooo bummed. Now what do I do? Trade someone on the board for a size 7 Whippet? Sell it?

I could use some advice.

Two sizes up is too much. Sell it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82