Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new (vintage) Borsalino

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks like a great hat, the price really isn't out of line.

I wonder why the fellow would sell his father's hat, though. I guess some folks are less sentimental than others.

I have a hunch you'll really enjoy it and get your money's worth out of it. :)

mingoslim

Practically Family
A great hat . . .

And I do not beleive that you overpaid . . . I think you got a pretty good deal.
As for the red beans and rice . . . buy a little andouille to throw in for flavor. You will be fine . . .

fatwoul

Practically Family
I know Borsalinos are totally different, but now I have my Whippet I understand better what those crinkly-looking crowns are like, and how much wonderful character vintage felts have. They're just different, somehow.

A new hat, you can put a bash into it, and that's the only bash it has, but lots of these vintage hats on here have little dents left right and centre, like fingerprints. Every one of them is unique.

What sort of shape are you planning for your new hat when it arrives?

Wonderful hat. Good find. Enjoy it.

deelovely

Practically Family
fatwoul said:
I know Borsalinos are totally different, but now I have my Whippet I understand better what those crinkly-looking crowns are like, and how much wonderful character vintage felts have. They're just different, somehow.
A new hat, you can put a bash into it, and that's the only bash it has, but lots of these vintage hats on here have little dents left right and centre, like fingerprints. Every one of them is unique.
Funny you say that, I just discovered a couple of days ago that I can shape my vintage Borso into a pork pie! Now THAT is a very soft hat that doesn't want to hold much shape, but it does hold the pork pie and looks really neat that way!!:D

ideaguy

One Too Many
Now that there is one sweet hat! I'd get it cleaned & reblocked, and if it fits
you, you might not want to take it off...great price for that hat, great color, what more could you ask for? (yeah, I know- one in my size, too...):eusa_clap

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
fatwoul said:

Now Fats...thats what I've been wondering about for a long while. Now that you have a number of different hats...you'll be better able to describe the different feel of each. Can you perhaps start a thread to better describe the finer differences of the different hats you have. Maybe Douglas and the others will chime in. Whatchya think?:D

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Borsalinos

flylot74 said:
OK, I may have paid too much for this hat, but I had to calm the voices in my head :D QUOTE]

There is no calming of the voices until you have your own size 60 vintage Borsa (*stamps feet in totally infantile manner and has bottom smacked by wife*).

carter

I'll Lock Up
cookie said:
flylot74 said:
OK, I may have paid too much for this hat, but I had to calm the voices in my head :D QUOTE]

There is no calming of the voices until you have your own size 60 vintage Borsa (*stamps feet in totally infantile manner and has bottom smacked by wife*).

So you're OK 'bout the Open Road now? lol :D

flylot74

One of the Regulars
It's here! It's here! Oh my! It is a beautiful specimen indeed! I think it's softer than my new Borsolino that I recently bought. I think I like the 3" brim on me better than the 2 1/2" on my brown and my gray snap brim hats! However, I'll let you guys be the judge of that as soon as I can get my wife to take a picture.

It could use a cleaning and blocking, er, bashing. The current bash is a sort of semi-pinched/semi-kinda teardrop, although the more I look at it, the more I'm getting to like it. It's more "casual" looking than the Dobbs snap brim or my new Borso..... so, it's growing on me already.....

The elastic w/button (I know there's gotta be a proper term for it) is stretched. Must be a way to remedy that! I like the narrow ribbon better I think. The liner and sweatband are perfect! Which begs the question, "Did anyone really wear this, or did it just sit someplace and get dirty?"

I will attempt to brush it first to see how much I can clean, but ultimately guys (and gals), where can I send this to have it cleaned and bashed?

And to add to my surprise, the hat came in an industrial strength hat box the likes I've never seen with a leather strap and buckle to secure the top, not the cheezy cardboard boxes one gets today. Something I failed to spot in the picture on OFAS!

OK, now, where did I put that hat cleaning sponge........

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You got that hat for a great price. I was seriously tempted. It looks fantastic.

barrowjh

One Too Many
You landed a great hat a great price. I paid about $35 more for mine, and it is not in as good a shape as that one, and it did not come with a box. Good score! If it were not for the Loewe I sniped from you, I would have cause for jealousy!

After you've cleaned the former 'bash' lines with Scouts, and then you boil some water for steam to set a new bash, then pour some of that hot water into a bowl. Hold the hat and the wind trolley button up, but dip the entire length of the wind trolley string into that hot water and let it set there a few seconds, then take it out. Lay a piece of plastic, like an empty ziploc bag, on the brim and just let the string coil down onto that plastic, then set the hat in the cold (or on an a/c vent) to rapidly cool that string, and leave it be for the night - relaxed. Repeat as necessary. Be careful NOT to have steamed the leather sweatband, as this treatment will shrink it too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe