Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My First Borsalino

A

Ande1963

Just won my first Borsalino. Ended up paying exactly my highest bid, which is always a little bittersweet.

Do you guys think it really is a bowler? I think I'd be happy either way... just wondering.

Now, I have to hope their sweat measurement was correct.

Anj

pic1.jpg

pic4.jpg

S

Samsa

Either way, I'd say you did very well. If the inside circumference measurement is correct, it's really a US size 7 1/2 - and $100 for a '30s Borsalino size 7 1/2 is a good deal.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I watched that one, but it went higher than I was ready to go, and likely is too big for me, anyway. I'll be interested in your evaluation when you get it. I sort of leaned against it being a bowler, but it could be. That's a rare size in vintage (as you well know!).

Tony in Tarzana

When you get it in your hands, it'll be easy to tell. A true bowler is hard like a helmet and a homburg will be soft enough to shape. Either way, you've got yourself a swell hat! :)

Edit: Looking at the pictures again, I see some slight dents in the felt, so I'll say it's a Homburg. Just shape it into a center dent and you're in like Flynn.

A

Ande1963

I got this hat today. The good news is that it's a lovely vintage hat... unworn, and the size was accurate.

The bad news is that it was shipped from Europe in one flimsy box, and arrived mangled. It is a homburg, and the brim is all messed up. The ribbon is also a little creased, and the crown is squished.

So, I told the seller what happened and offered two options: return for a full refund or credit me $50 towards having it professionally re-shaped. They got back to me right away, saying they would send the $50 credit next business day. That probably won't pay the full bill (certainly not, with shipping), but I'm cool with it.

So, it's a pain, but hopefully, it will end well. This will also give me a chance to test the fine folks at Optimo.

Anj

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Hey, at least they credited you the 50 clams instead of putting up a huge fuss. Not a bad seller there, that's at least something positive. Well, I hope that it will come out good in the end. I'm sure the folks at Optimo will do your hat right. Please post some pictures of the before and after. Congratulations on a nice Italian Homburg!:eusa_clap

Cheers!

Dan

Undertow

It sounds like you got a good deal either way and I'm sorry to hear it arrived in the shape it did.

And yes, if it's possible, post a pic of how it looks now and how it looks after the "fixing". I think we would all like a look at it! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust