Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first Aero order (Highwayman)

smoz

One of the Regulars
Long term browser but first time poster here.

I have found this forum very helpful while researching my first Aero leather jacket, I initially placed my order at the beginning of February and have changed my mind on the specifications several times since then, I think Amanda must dread each new email that she receives from me.

Here is a summary of my order:

· Style: Highwayman

· Leather: Vintage Cordovan FQHH

· Lining: Harris Tweed

· Chest pocket (outer): one, diagonal, left hand side with zip

· Outer pockets: two handwarmer pockets (not cargo)

· Inner pocket, left: one, vertical in facing (think this may be known as a G1)

· Inner pocket right: one horizontal with stud fastener

· No storm cuffs

· Inside windflap

· Corduroy pocket lining

· Corduroy strip at hem of jacket to protect lining

· Antique brass zips, buckles etc

The Harris tweed lining is an optional extra now shown on Aero's website (in the latest news section), apparently they currently have a limited supply of this material. The photo that Amanda sent me showed three slightly different variations on what I believe is a Glenurqurhart or Prince of Wales check.

When I placed my initial order I was told that delivery should be about twelve to fourteen weeks so I hope to receive it in the next month or so, when it arrives I will post pictures here.

Last edited:

Seawolf

Familiar Face
I ordered around the same time, and I feel the same way about emailing with Amanda. She's so patient though, and I often thank her for being so. Can't wait to see your new jacket. I'll post pictures as well.

I ordered a Long Halfbelt in brown FQHH, brown cord pocket lining, olive gabardine lining, no storm cuffs, double leather cuffs, leather facing along hem inside jacket, antique brass zippers, and jacket and sleeves slightly slimmed down leaving room for a sweater. I'll post pictures as well when it arrives!

Seawolf

Smoz
Sounds great..! The only thing that I might suggest is...if you are going to have two different kinds of inside pockets...one in the lining and one in the facing...you might consider putting the G-1 type on the right side and the horizonal pocket in lining on left side(as wearing the jacket)..as not to interfear with lefthand outside chest pocket. Otherwise...the pocket lining for both will overlap each other or be somewhat a double pocket lining on that side. I do have a couple of HalfBelts with G-1 pockets on both facings with outside pocket...and it is no 'biggie'...but if you are going with two different inside pockets..it might offer a little cleaner look without an extra pocket liner behind the chest pocket liner. I saw Aero's new Harris Tweed and think you made a wise choice going with that premo option.
HD

JanSolo

Practically Family
Hi Smoz, welcome to this place!

Please consider a combo-lining! Tweed for the body is a luxurious , good looking, warm, and very durable choice! But it doesn't work well for the sleeves. It will grip your sweater, shirt etc. constantly and putting the jacket on will always be a brief struggle. It's also quite itchy, especially when you are just wearing a shirt or t-shirt.
If you insist on the extra bit of warmth tweed gives I would ask for a heavy satin overlay for the sleeves.
Good luck with your order!

EDIT: Go with HD's advice! Drop the horizontal lining pocket! The G1 pocket looks much neater and will never loose its shape

Last edited:

Windward

Practically Family
Hi Smoz, welcome - like to hear you go with VINTAGE cordovan HH - will be my next order so i like to see how the hide will look.
Antique brass zipper will go best with vintage Cordovan HH - do you ask for "ball and chain" ?
Inside windflap also sounds great - also have a special order with the M422a inside windflap.
WW

smoz

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the advice.

Seawolf, glad to hear that someone else is in the same situation as me, eagerly anticipating a new arrival, sounds like a good design.

JanSolo, Re the sleeve lining, I had assumed that they wouldn't be lined with the tweed but will drop Amanda (yet another) email to confirm.

HD, Re the pockets, I will think about this, your comments seem sensible.

I did consider requesting button cuffs on my Highwayman, as available on the thirties half belt but decided that as this was my first Aero to stick with the regular ones, maybe there will be another one to follow.

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
maybe there will be another one to follow.
:D You know there will be - these things are addictive!

Love the specs of the jacket, very similar to HWM I started to spec out... before I changed my mind, maybe a Route '66 next.

I'd be very interested in seeing and hearing your impressions of the Harris Tweed lining when it arrives.

smoz

One of the Regulars
I already have an idea for number two, possibly a variation on the 50's Half Belt deluxe but will wait and see what I think of the Highwayman first.

Tito

A-List Customer
Sounds very, very good smoz.:eek:;)
Long term browser but first time poster here.

I have found this forum very helpful while researching my first Aero leather jacket, I initially placed my order at the beginning of February and have changed my mind on the specifications several times since then, I think Amanda must dread each new email that she receives from me.

Here is a summary of my order:

· Style: Highwayman

· Leather: Vintage Cordovan FQHH

· Lining: Harris Tweed

· Chest pocket (outer): one, diagonal, left hand side with zip

· Outer pockets: two handwarmer pockets (not cargo)

· Inner pocket, left: one, vertical in facing (think this may be known as a G1)

· Inner pocket right: one horizontal with stud fastener

· No storm cuffs

· Inside windflap

· Corduroy pocket lining

· Corduroy strip at hem of jacket to protect lining

· Antique brass zips, buckles etc

The Harris tweed lining is an optional extra now shown on Aero's website (in the latest news section), apparently they currently have a limited supply of this material. The photo that Amanda sent me showed three slightly different variations on what I believe is a Glenurqurhart or Prince of Wales check.

When I placed my initial order I was told that delivery should be about twelve to fourteen weeks so I hope to receive it in the next month or so, when it arrives I will post pictures here.

Edward

Bartender
I did consider requesting button cuffs on my Highwayman, as available on the thirties half belt but decided that as this was my first Aero to stick with the regular ones, maybe there will be another one to follow.

I did that (button cuffs) on my Bootlegger, among other mods, and am very pleased with them. If you're looking for a late 50s / early 60s type look as per the original design of the Highwayman, though, the 'without' style is more accurate. The one thing I would mention, just in case you haven't considered it, is the notorious cordovan bleed. I've occasionally had some dye come out of mine (FQHH non-vintage finish) onto a shirt collar, though typically only when I have been wearing it all day, on the move - and nothing that didn't wash out first go. No biggy to me, but worth just being aware of.

smoz

One of the Regulars
I did that (button cuffs) on my Bootlegger, among other mods, and am very pleased with them. If you're looking for a late 50s / early 60s type look as per the original design of the Highwayman, though, the 'without' style is more accurate. The one thing I would mention, just in case you haven't considered it, is the notorious cordovan bleed. I've occasionally had some dye come out of mine (FQHH non-vintage finish) onto a shirt collar, though typically only when I have been wearing it all day, on the move - and nothing that didn't wash out first go. No biggy to me, but worth just being aware of.

Thanks for the warning regarding the cordovan bleed, I am aware of it having seen it mentioned on here but decided that it shouldn't be too big a problem, most posters seem agree with you that where clothing does become marked the marks wash away fairly easily.

As for the cuffs, I decided that for my first Aero it was probably best to stick close to their original design. I have a feeling that a fifties half belt deluxe in brown FQHH may follow, if so I will probably have this with the button cuffs (unfortunately I am the wrong shape for the slimmer cut designs, several years of eating and drinking well have put paid to the idea of me wearing a 30's half belt)

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I know what you mean. I love the snug fit of my Thirties halfbelt, but I do find myself wondering whether a Fifties cut model might not be a better option when it comes time for a black one... ;)

Thanks for the warning regarding the cordovan bleed, I am aware of it having seen it mentioned on here but decided that it shouldn't be too big a problem, most posters seem agree with you that where clothing does become marked the marks wash away fairly easily.

As for the cuffs, I decided that for my first Aero it was probably best to stick close to their original design. I have a feeling that a fifties half belt deluxe in brown FQHH may follow, if so I will probably have this with the button cuffs (unfortunately I am the wrong shape for the slimmer cut designs, several years of eating and drinking well have put paid to the idea of me wearing a 30's half belt)

Wow - you and I are on the same page! I was going to get a 50's HB, then opted to go Highwayman. Trying to decide between the Brown FQHH and Oil Pull FQHH.
Otherwise, you literally are doing what I am, and I even thought about the button sleeves like the 50's HB!
I have taken Jan's suggestions and pictures to heart. He has a good sense of style and some solid, practical advice!
I am measuring and finalizing this weekend to send to Amanda. I'm hoping to get in time for our trip to Europe this fall!
Good luck,
Scott

smoz

One of the Regulars
Just bumping this thread as my jacket has been delivered, it looks great. thanks for all your help and advice both on this thread and on the hundreds of other threads about Aero jackets on this forum which I browsed through while trying to decide exactly what I was after.

The vintage cordovan FQHH is a beautiful colour, a really rich deep red, although I suspect it may appear different depending on the light. The Harris Tweed lining finishes the jacket off perfectly, I was worried that it may be too heavy, too rough or too itchy but it is none of these.

Here are a few quick pictures of the jacket, I have tried to use different lighting in different rooms to show the colour of the leather ...

IMG_1617.JPG

IMG_1621.JPG

IMG_1619.JPG

IMG_1620.JPG

IMG_1622.JPG

IMG_1626.JPG

IMG_1624.JPG

IMG_1625.JPG

zaman fu

Familiar Face
sweet jacket. similar to my vintage brown 30's halfbelt, which I received a few weeks ago (I will upload photos soon). i dig the vintage cordovan and the tweed. great job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe