Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Akubra Fedora Arives

The Outlaw Kyle

One of the Regulars
After sending back my size 60 gray Fedora to hatsdirect, and after being told that the size 61 was out of stock, and after waiting 3 more weeks, it has finally arrived:
484863692_6df18dc727.jpg

Nice side view
484863688_d8bb9e6705.jpg

One with the hats owner
484863698_4e3e35801e.jpg

Liner
484863682_fe8e341d51.jpg

Interestingly enough, the previous hat I received hat a red liner, which I like a little better.

So, I have a hat. I really enjoyed wearing it. I got almost all positive comments at work. On person said "Is that a Crocodile Dundee hat"? I said "No. That hat is almost completely different, but it is a hat".

I'm thinking a Campdraft in taupe fawn for my next hat. I have an idea for it: What if I removed the liner? I think it would make a great summer hat, and with the liner out would be cooler. Has anyone taken out a Akubra liner? I see on my fedora it's glued in. Any ideas, comments? Thanks so much for your help everyone.

Feraud

Bartender
It is funny how people identify any hat with a specific one. [huh]
If the liner is glued in you can remove it. Use caution and go easy. I too like the red liner.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Very nice hat and looks really great on uou! Pretty nice feeling eh?

You did the right thing, sending it back.

Akubra sometimes advises stretching a hat by putting it over a knee and pulling as hard as you can: "it won't hurt the hat." I did this with my Snowy River to tug it into a long oval - and half the sweat band stitiching popped out.

It's long oval now though!!!

Nice hat, Kyle.

RBH

Bartender
Great looking fedora you have!
When I ordered my taupe fawn Campdraft [I love it], I was expecting the white liner. When it arrived it had the red, did not like it at first but now it is my favorite liner.

p.s. Scot , love your new avatar!

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Nice looking lid, Kyle. In terms of the ribbon, I'm a big fan of the gray on gray look.

One halfway step that has an immediate effect on keeping things cool is to remove the plastic liner at the top of the crown. I have done this with a number of my lids and it makes for a much nicer feel.

Enjoy your Fedora!

Cheers,
JtL

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The Outlaw Kyle said:
484863688_d8bb9e6705.jpg

One with the hats owner
Lookin' sharp there fella. Good choice.
484863682_fe8e341d51.jpg

Interestingly enough, the previous hat I received hat a red liner, which I like a little better.
Of course, you're really not entitled to a red liner until you've killed five people.

:D Joke. Only applicable to aces and flight jackets in WW2.
Please don't kill people. Or shoot down planes. Unless you really can't avoid it.

Now the summer hat idea is intriguing, but unless the Campdraft is a much lighter weight felt, you may not feel much cooler without the liner.

Is the Campdraft (or any 'koober) appreciably lighter weight felt?

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Great looking hat! I love my Akubras. They may not be the finest hats in the world, but for the price I seriously doubt you could find many others of finer quality, let alone ones still being made by an independent family hat company from raw fur to finish.

silvereed

Familiar Face
Atomic Glee said:
Great looking hat! I love my Akubras. They may not be the finest hats in the world, but for the price I seriously doubt you could find many others of finer quality, let alone ones still being made by an independent family hat company from raw fur to finish.

I agree....I own two Akubra Sydney's. I love the fact that I can change the bash anyway I like. I have a Akubra Federation that should be here anyday. Looking forward to that hat in... tawny fawn.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Sydney (same hat is called "Fedora" on the Australian sellers' sites) is a great hat. I tried on one of the gray when I was up at David Morgan last month, but I really wanted the fawn at that point. But the gray's definitely on the wish list for the future. It suits you well!

The Outlaw Kyle

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the positive responses fellas. It sure is great to have a nice hat. I'm wearing it to church today, I can't wait for it. One thing this hat does, it make me want to dress better. Tucking in my shirts, wearing my nice shoes instead of my Vans, wearing a long sleeve shirt and thinking "If it gets warm, I'll just roll them up".

Maybe you Open Road/Campdraft guys can help me out with something. My wife, who doesn't approve my purchases mind you, isn't really a fan on the thin ribbon. At first, I thought the same thing, but now I really, really like the OR/CD style. I have a couple of requests for help from you fans:

1. What time period does the OR come from? 1940's would be my guess, and then it stuck around strong into the 1950's?
2. Can any of you guys point me in the direction of some vintage pictures (not adds) of people wearing the OR? Famous or other wise.

I really appreciate your help and support. Hats are great, and I love mine. This board really pointed me in the right direction with the Akubra.

Tony in Tarzana

The Outlaw Kyle said:
2. Can any of you guys point me in the direction of some vintage pictures (not adds) of people wearing the OR? Famous or other wise.

Here's one:

jfkp.jpg

The Open Road was introduced, if my memory serves, in 1947, and Presidents Lyndon Johnson, Dwight Eisenhower and Harry Truman wore them.

0803look_1.jpg

HarryTruman.jpg

Achille

Familiar Face
Hi TOK,
Happy to read that your so waited hat arrived.
I'm really happy too with my three Akubras. First I ordered the "style master", the same as Joel, then a "country club" straw and the "Fedora". The last one is my preferred.

cimg0527qy6.jpg

cimg0531ce7.jpg

In brown it comes with the red liner you talked about. I agree it's really nice

About my size probleme I've found a good solution using a long peace of box leather.
cimg0528td5.jpg

Really, many thanks to the forum for your advises.

J.M

johnnycanuck

In your first post you asked if you can remove the hat liner in an Akubra. Yes you can. But I would not try this with all hats. I popped the liner out of an older cowboy hat, it turned out the felt on the inside was not finished and very hairy (well deserving of a shave:) ) But the Akubra will be fine.

If you are looking for video’s, Merle Haggard’s “Motrocycle Cowboy” can be found on youtube. You can see a few open road style of hats in it. Merle himself has a fedora bash in his.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
The Outlaw Kyle said:
I have a couple of requests for help from you fans:

1. What time period does the OR come from? 1940's would be my guess, and then it stuck around strong into the 1950's?

Stetson started marketing the thin ribbon fedora as the Open Road in the 40s and is still being sold today. It is the longest running hat line they have. However that style was in existance long before that. I remember seeing pics of hats that looked like the Open Road from the 20s. All of the major hat makers have sold the thin ribbon, bound edge fedora's in various colors and brim widths down through the years.

fedoralover

The Outlaw Kyle

One of the Regulars
Achille,
I'm happy you got your hats to fit as well. I've been wearing mine for a couple of days, and I can really feel the sweat band starting to shrink up. That's good, as it was a touch on the big size right out of the box, but now it's getting great!

Tony,
Thanks for the pictures. I think that the OR/CD is a great classic style. The fact that Ike was an OR guy makes it even better. I've got RBH's CD as my desktop. An awesome hat.

Liner removal,
This seems like a nice way to make a cooler felt hat on the cheap. It's going to be too warm for felts soon, and I want to keep my hat momentum up. This gray goes well with my winter coat, so that's why I picked it for the most part.

I don't know why, but people have been telling me I look thiner? It might be that my shirt is tucked in, but maybe it's the hat? Makes me taller, spreads out my fat a little?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally