Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Aero 30s Halfbelt, in brown FQHH

Edward

Bartender
Last week, I cracked and bought this beauty from Aero's sale page:

4574cc2b5c140bb5_va885.jpg

The jacket has an olive drab cotton drill lining, with two G1 style inner pockets. I've long fancied a couple of thirties halfbelts - actually, this was the first Aero design I wanted. I had planned to pick up a black one eventually (I have several brown jackets now), but when I saw this one going at a good price, I jumped on it. It's technically used, but at that it's in fantastic condition - comparable to my Bootlegger which has been worn maybe a dozen times at most. Excellent fit: slightly neater on the waist, I think, than my Bootlegger, but not uncomfortable; perfect for wearing over a shirt / thin sweater. The inside of the cuffs is lined with the cotton drill - different than my Bootlegger, the cuffs of which are faced in the same leather as the outer. As I didn't specify this on my Bootlegger, it may be that this was down to my choice of lining in that jacket (a tartan wool). The one other detail I might have done differently is the chest pockets - when it comes time for my black 30sHB, I think I'll be opting for a single outer chest pocket, over the right breast (I'm a southpaw), with an angled zip. I'll also be adding a throat latch. I added the throat latch to my Bootlegger also. Have never used it, but really I just like the detail. The black jacket I might get in a different hide, for variety (tempted by goat, actually.... I have an Aero AN6552, and rather like the feel of the goat on that - light, soft, supple, but strong). As I say, there are a couple of minor details I might have chosen differently on a new Aero, but at a saving of GBP150 I'm more than satisfied with what I got! :)

Photos of the jacket on me to follow as and when I can get someone to take them...

JanSolo

Practically Family
Great find, Edward. The 1930s HB design truly is an alltime classic and you simply cannot go wrong by adding one to your collection. Judging from the pic this jacket looks almost unworn to me - no creasing on the sleeves, and no sagging or deformation on the handwarmer pocket entries. I bet this jacket was ordered maybe worn a couple of times around the house and then returned. Maybe the fit was too tight or not as desired... Can you tell who made the jacket? What's the condition of the lining? Any soiling in the neck area? EDIT: Just read that it features a Gabardine lining. So the Jacket really is quite new because before this strange JanSolo guy asked Aero to put that B10 outershell stuff in one of his jackets as a lining in 09 that option was unheard of...
Please post some decent pics of you wearing it!

PS: All 30s HBs come with cloth lined cuffs. Double leather cuffs are an extra (with the HB Deluxe being an exception)

Again, great find!!

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Thanks, Jan... hopefully I'll be able to have some shots done at the weekend, and I'll get them up here. I'm in the office right now without the jacket (wearing my Bootlegger today, actually), but my initial assessment of the jacket when it arrived was that there really aren't any signs of it having been worn other than that the leather has that slightly more supple feel you get with a jacket that has been worn once or twice. I suspect you may be right that it was a sizing issue. I'm a little pot bellied myself, if much less so than is common nowadays; there's definitely a lot less room in this jacket than someone expecting the same fit as a mall jacket or even a more generous vintage cut like a Highwayman would probably want. It has obviously been a custom order - the matter of the lining, plus the non-standard chest-zip arrangement. Makes me wonder did someone buy it, try it on and find it too tight for them., and sent it right back. I know Aero are good about sizings and things that way, and I imagine a returned jacket like that which is non-standard would go on their sale page.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Very nice indeed - I do love halfbelts. The jacket looks almost fresh out the box to me - maybe tried on, but not much more than that. Look forward to seeing the pics.

Cheers

Edward

Bartender
Photos, at last!

IMAG0089.jpg
IMAG0100.jpg

IMAG0098.jpg

IMAG0093.jpg

IMAG0091.jpg

IMAG0090.jpg

IMAG0085.jpg

IMAG0090.jpg

IMAG0101.jpg

No shots of me wearing it yet - had it on this weekend and a friend agreed to take some for me, but we got distracted.... bah!

Edward

Bartender
Oh.....

Also, I suspect it is just possible that it was originally ordered by a Lounger. There are a few non-standard features - the two inside pockets, the twin chest pockets, and at the back, instead of the 'normal' lining / outer join, there's a strip about an inch wide of leather up along the bottom of the liner. I don't think that's standard, anyhow?

Edward

Bartender
Eddie, I think you might be right.... I'm sure I remember reading way back about someone buying one of these and opting for those two front pockets after the style of the civilian pp jackets a lot of the Luftwaffe boys wore in the early Forties. Could well be it....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld