Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mitchell and Ness

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
New ones just don't look like ballcaps so I buy old school repros when I get the hankerin'.

I have a couple Cooperstown Ballcap company hats from about 6 years ago, and decided to try out mitchell and Ness for a change up. They are pretty good... Mitchell and Ness gets the details correct, though they use a hard plastic in the bill and a plastic thread to hold the leather sweatband in. I like the look of the cap, though with the plastic... just makes it feel modern to me, even though it looks vintage.

The one I have looks more authentic than the one in the pic below.
1937 Brooklyn Dodgers.

1938dod.jpg

There's an outfit up here called Ebbets Field Flannels that makes reproduction jerseys and caps, some of which are apparently quite close to authentic. The main guy there used up his supply of vintage flannel fairly early and then had to convince a mill to make more for him. Somewhere around here I have reproduction Hollywood Stars (from the old Pacific Coast League) cap from them that's really pretty nice, made with individual dark blue panels and red piping, with a white felt star outlined in red at the front.
Their story is a fairly compelling one. The guy started in his apartment and outgrew that space and basically helped create a market for what he does. They do a fairly brisk trade in reproduction Negro Leagues jerseys. They even have a bricks-and-mortar store now, in Pioneer Square, the historic district, not far from the "retro" ballpark.

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
I confess!

I have 3 Cooperstowns (by Roman) from the early '90s - Washington Senators...my old home team. If I remember correctly, they are a 20's (white-navy "W" -red beak), 30's (navy with red "W") and 60's (red - cursive "W"). They seem to be just cotton twill, not the wool/flannel of the top-line ones. I got them years ago for everyday wear, not necessarily for authenticity. Also, their sizes run quite small compared to vintage fedoras.

RedPop4

One Too Many
I have two old Chicago Cubs reproductions...a VERY soft brushed cotton 1908 Cubs with the little bear logo. And a darker navy, almost black, 1918 with a big white C.

I love baseball, and baseball history, I'd take a lot of these hats if I could. I like that white Nats hat with the red bill.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
:eek:fftopic:Did Somebody Mention The Bears?

:eek:fftopic:
RedPop4 said:
with the little bear logo.

When George Halas(founder of the NFL) moved the Decatur Staleys to Chicago in 1922 and settled in Wrigley field, he chose to rename his team the Bears because they were bigger(physically) than the Cubs. The Bears played at Wrigley for fifty years. When the NFL(Pete Rozelle) instituted a minimum stadium capacity of 50,000 in 1970, the Bears were woefully short at Wrigley(38.000). When the media asked Rozelle what penalties the Bears would suffer for their infraction Rozelle said, "None, otherwise Mr. Halas might decide to take his league back".

As an aside, Bears v. Packers- early 1960's-Lombardi and Halas at Wrigley. Halas protests a bad call by throwing a pocketful of coins at the referee, who turns around and walks away. After the game the media asks Lombardi if Halas should be reprimanded(fined, suspended) for his actions. Lombardi says, "Mr. Halas can do no wrong in this game because we wouldn't be here today if it weren't for him". He was MVP of the 1919 Rose Bowl, played outfield for the NY Yankee's and was player, coach and owner of the Bears for over 60 years.They called him "Papa Bear".

Halas03-1.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I've got a 1948 Reds cap from Cooperstown that I got to wear with my A2.

When I showed off the jacket for the first time, most guys said "yeah. Nice. Where'd you get that cap???

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I'd like to be able to find a vintage style baseball cap like the one Bing Crosby wore in either Going my Way or The Bells of St. Mary. I believe it was St. Louis.

Cheers!

Dan

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh here you are!

IMAHOMER! Where have you been? It's All Stars tonight, and that means baseball is half over!

Good to see you! Drive through Roundhill sometime and meet me for coffee:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally