Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mexican Expedition circa 1916 or my version of the Lounge

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Check it out. Nice variety. Which is your favorite? Found on the net. Maybe you could suggest a caption for this picture.

RUN01350.jpg

dean

Bogie

One of the Regulars
Wow, what a great photograph Deanglen!

The variety between hats in that picture is astonishing. I'm particularly fond of the one that fellow is wearing on the upper far left next to the Sombero, where do you find these pictures?

deanglen

Bogie said:
Wow, what a great photograph Deanglen!

The variety between hats in that picture is astonishing. I'm particularly fond of the one that fellow is wearing on the upper far left next to the Sombero, where do you find these pictures?

Google, e-bay, different sites. I troll regularly for them.

dean

deanglen

Martinis at 8 said:
Do you have any background on the men in the photo?

What's up with that dog? lol

Sorry. Nothing available from it's original location. The dog? No idea. Maybe it's sleeping.lol Actually, I'm not sure it's from the Pancho Villa expedition, given the fact that so many of the campaign hats are NOT Montana peaks, but Frontier/Span-Am war Fore and Aft creased. Might just be some border area contact around the early 1910s. I really don't know. The Khaki Field Blouses put it around 1902 at least, I think, but others are better at this dating thing than me.

dean

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
deanglen said:
Sorry. Nothing available from it's original location. The dog? No idea. Maybe it's sleeping.lol Actually, I'm not sure it's from the Pancho Villa expedition, given the fact that so many of the campaign hats are NOT Montana peaks, but Frontier/Span-Am war Fore and Aft creased. Might just be some border area contact around the early 1910s. I really don't know. The Khaki Field Blouses put it around 1902 at least, I think, but others are better at this dating thing than me.

dean

1902 would put it in the chase for Pancho Villa time frame. Pancho got away, eventually shot in the back by someone years later.

Photo looks like there might be a translator or two in the group. The dog looks like he's living a good life :D

M8

Pat_H

A-List Customer
Martinis at 8 said:
1902 would put it in the chase for Pancho Villa time frame. Pancho got away, eventually shot in the back by someone years later.

Photo looks like there might be a translator or two in the group. The dog looks like he's living a good life :D

M8

The M1902 remained in use as late as the 1916 expedition. You tend to see it very early on, and I suspect in use by federalized National Guardsmen. Shortly after Federalization, the hats all seem to be M1911 hats.

This particular photo either appears somewhere on the TMH forum, or is linked in there, but I can't recall the details on it. It'd be post 1911, but probably not any later than 1916.

FWIW, there's a huge number of Punitive Expedition photos up on the TMH forum, and a large number of links to other photos there as well.

deanglen

Pat_H said:
The M1902 remained in use as late as the 1916 expedition. You tend to see it very early on, and I suspect in use by federalized National Guardsmen. Shortly after Federalization, the hats all seem to be M1911 hats.

This particular photo either appears somewhere on the TMH forum, or is linked in there, but I can't recall the details on it. It'd be post 1911, but probably not any later than 1916.

FWIW, there's a huge number of Punitive Expedition photos up on the TMH forum, and a large number of links to other photos there as well.

Pat, you meant "SMH", right? Because that is where I found the references you posted. Same picture, for sure, and better view of the hats!

dean

Uncle Vern

One of the Regulars
Martinis at 8--The Mexican Revolution did not begin until 1910, and Villa didn't raid Columbus, New Mexico until 1916, so 1902 is an inaccurate date for Mexican border operations.
Pancho Villa wasn't shot in the back by "some guy," he was assassinated while returning to his his ranch in his auto by a group of professional killers who drilled him full of lead from various angles, killing him instantly, probably supporters of Calles. His assassination took place in Parral, Chihuahua. Villa had many enemies. Unless historians discover new information, the actual circumstances of his death will remain a mystery.
For those of you who are interested in Villa, the Mexican Revolution and Villa's Columbus raid, read the recent book "The General and the Jaguar," by Eileen Welsome. While the book deals with Villa's life and many other topics related to the revolution, it specifically addresses the Columbus raid and the intimate recollections of the town's survivors. It's an excellent, well-researched book.

Pat_H

A-List Customer
Uncle Vern said:
Martinis at 8--The Mexican Revolution did not begin until 1910, and Villa didn't raid Columbus, New Mexico until 1916, so 1902 is an inaccurate date for Mexican border operations.
Pancho Villa wasn't shot in the back by "some guy," he was assassinated while returning to his his ranch in his auto by a group of professional killers who drilled him full of lead from various angles, killing him instantly, probably supporters of Calles. His assassination took place in Parral, Chihuahua. Villa had many enemies. Unless historians discover new information, the actual circumstances of his death will remain a mystery.
For those of you who are interested in Villa, the Mexican Revolution and Villa's Columbus raid, read the recent book "The General and the Jaguar," by Eileen Welsome. While the book deals with Villa's life and many other topics related to the revolution, it specifically addresses the Columbus raid and the intimate recollections of the town's survivors. It's an excellent, well-researched book.

Another good book is "Chasing Villa" by Tompkins, an officer involved in the P.E. It also has a good first hand description of the Columbus raid, from the U.S. Army defenders prospective, as well as a good description of events leading up to it, and following it.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
deanglen said:
Maybe you could suggest a caption for this picture.

RUN01350.jpg

dean

Circa 1916;
" The commitee,still hung over from the fiesta the night before, is still trying to figure out if it was the crate of hot peppers that killed the dog. Private Johanson (front row, right) is exploring all possabilities."

Too good to pass that up.lol :p

Cheers!

Dan

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Dammit Deanglen

Your photos are amazing. Keep at it, I always enjoy your postings. I'm a campaign hat collector also. I think the American Army needs to get away from berets and ball caps. I believe that the Cav Hat gives us a little distinction. More is needed.

deanglen

Prairie Shade said:
Your photos are amazing. Keep at it, I always enjoy your postings. I'm a campaign hat collector also. I think the American Army needs to get away from berets and ball caps. I believe that the Cav Hat gives us a little distinction. More is needed.

Thanks Prairie! Post some shots of your hats, if you feel like it. I seriously could not agree with you more about what a return to traditional headgear for our troops would mean for morale. But maybe they wouldn't agree. I just think this is an example of some strength and honor:

8-10-06s12a.jpg

8-21-06s25A.jpg

8-28-06s7a.jpg

BUT I KNOW I'M OLD FASHIONED AND DREAMING. A dream our allies, too, could use.

dean

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Old Guard

I think that the Army of a Nation should somehow project the spirit of that nation and its unique contribution to the world. In WWI the French referred to our troops as the men with the cowboy hat (or something like that). Today, we look like every other European nation with the Beret. Its not American and its not our tradition. The ANZACS retained the felt hat for years much to their credit. We need to go back to our roots and traditions. I wear my Cav hat with pride from time to time. The last visage of what was really American Military Tradition. BRING IT BACK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally