Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a hat tike those worn in Peru

Travelr

New in Town
I visited Taquile, an island in Lake Titicaca about a decade ago where the men wore hats like this. They were all produced locally by hand. They made a tourist grade one for strangers but they wouldn't make a higher quality one for me. Any idea where something like this can be purchased? Something with a narrow brim and not a thick felt.
I've always remembered how distinguished this man was.
IMG_8533.png
IMG_8534.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8534.jpeg
    IMG_8534.jpeg
    721.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8535.jpeg
    IMG_8535.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Looks like a standard medium brim fedora to me. With only side shots it's hard to tell the taper of the crown, so trying to find an exact replica might be tough. Something from the late fifties would have a similar brim width. You could try a custom hatter. A custom hatter could make you something close in whatever felt quality you wanted to pay for. In the case of a custom, the more pics you have the better.
If you are wanting something from South America, check out Lagomarsina from Argentina. I once had one of their mid grade fur felts, and it was a nice looking hard wearing hat.
Good luck!

Travelr

New in Town
But he doesn't want the cheap tourist grade hat, he wants to find a quality one.
Yes. I can find loads of inexpensive thick hats but I'm looking for something dresser with thinner felt. I used to have an old Stratoliner that was in miserable shape but the felt was thin and elegant.

Yes. I can find loads of inexpensive thick hats but I'm looking for something dresser with thinner felt. I used to have an old Stratoliner that was in miserable shape but the felt was thin and elegant.
Depending on your size you may be best served looking for vintage online. You will pay for it but a good 1950's Stetson will get you what you seek. Or commission a custom hat and get exactly what you want, look, colour, feel, size and trimmings........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1