Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Longhairs & Fedoras

matei

One Too Many
Hi all,

Other than Johnny Depp, who admittedly looks pretty cool with his choice in lids, can you think of any other long-haired men who wear fedoras?

I mean a "proper" fedora, not one of those trendy things you pick up in the Gap, or anything Justin Timberlake would wear. :p

As a long-haired fella myself, I find that they are few and far between, aside from the few of us on the board and the aforementioned Mr. Depp.

I realise that long hair and a fedora might be frowned upon by some, but in my case I'm not going for a vintage look... rather I like to incorporate elements of classic style (hey) in my everyday look.

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
My hair is ...er...at least one foot long (in truth, that ...depends where... but hush, hush) and yes, I wear a Borsalino to work (but lately, I've been wearing my favorite "open road" style Stetson, in testimony to the great state of Texas - but not ALL people from there).

Again, in truth, I make a poneytail and, seen from the front, you can't see the long hair at all (because it's all tightened-up towards the tail like pulling my face up).
Sometimes, at home, I don't have the poneytail and, when I wear my black "almost bowler" homburg, I (like to think) I look like Johnny Depp, except for the color of the hair, and most of the rest, sorta, well...you get the picture :rolleyes:

All in all, I firmly believe fedoras go better with cleancut hair.

The exceptions are me and, as said, Johnny Depp.
We are "artistes" (said to the tone of some more colorful character from "Little Britain" ) ;)

HungaryTom

One Too Many
PONYTAIL

This is what I wear with fedoras.
My tail is rather short - it can be put inside the fedora and stretches it a bit.
The hat sits safe and no hairs hang out from the hat.
There were eons in history when hats/headgear AND long hair were the norm, also for gentry.
So with long hair and a fedora you look reeeally retro like 200-300 years back.

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
My hair is shoulder-length, and I occasionally wear a fedora.

I'm debating getting a 1940s-like haircut---short on sides and back, long on top---or going Regency-retro.

Stoney

Practically Family
Just don't cut it like Bruce Willis had his in Last Man Standing. IMHO it looked terrible. If you want a good looking retro haircut, consider Cary Grant, Gregory Peck, Jimmy Stewart or James Cagney. Simple styles that did not attract too much attention, yet elegant in a manly way.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I've been getting my haircut fairly short for the past year. I have to admit that I've gotten used to it this way. Back when my hair was medium length, I got fairly bad hat hair whenever I wore my fedoras and felt nervous about taking them off until the end of the day.

A short haircut certainly eliminates hat hair.

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
Half again as long

My hair is rather short now, but for most of the last five years I wore it very long and was seldom seen outside without a fedora. My pontytail was roughly three feet long at the time it was at last cut off in late August of last year and it was only at the end of last month that my hair was cut really short.

I always brushed my hair very tightly, so even if thought it was long, it was seldom an unruly mop, so I never noticed the length of my hair having a bearing on how my hat fit, although the Sequipedalian was a bit comfortabler after a haircut.

A long time ago, this was a great look:

image001.jpg

bk

p.s. I, too, have long hair. Bit of a mane, really.

What comes to my mind are photos of those last-half-of-the-19th-century guys in their long hair and wide-brimmed hats. That Wild West look was pretty cool, I think.

matei

One Too Many
Good answers guys!

HungaryTom - I like your point about looking very retro! :)

I had my hair short for a time, "classic" short, but now is the time for the long hair again.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In me teen yrs. (7o's), I had hair down to my butt & always wore a vintage fedora, those days we thought we were Arlo or Neal or Bhaaab (Dylan).

A summer of digging post holes w/ a manual post hole digger in the GA. summer sun resulted in a crew cut transformation, living beneath ten lbs. of wet black hair is a poor way to spend the summer, the hair went to a Cancer wig making chairity & I've had a short, short cut for ten yrs.

If we ever move back to the Mrs.' homeland (the Canukistanian Province of Alberta) I have entertained ideas of again "letting my freak flag fly"... man.

Though she does remind me that western Canada is not somewhere you necessarily want to be mistaken as an NDN.

Again, it is all a matter of "do YOU wear the hat or does the HAT wear YOU?

ideaguy

One Too Many
well...haven't cut my hair since Oct., and is getting to be pretty long and plenty thick- almost p-tail material (definitely heatstroke material), and find
that I like the look and feel of my classic fedoras just as much as when my hair was very short.
As an "artiste"-I can get away with all kinds of BS-although the wife is starting to raise the eyebrows just a bit higher these days...it is fun going back to the 60's, having long hair and enjoying it-simply keep it clean and have enough of it, and it can fill out the face-and the hat very nicely.
PS- don't attempt this at home...

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I prefer my hair on the short side...and I haven't had a haircut since late August. This was just to save money, and up until recently it hasn't been a problem. But I'm in that middling stage where it keeps getting in my face and I can't brush it back behind my ears.

Anyway, I've been wearing it thus with my wool fedora. Once I get my nice one I'll decide if it's finally time to get shorn.

MAB1

Suspended
I'm an old hippy. I get a wild hair, up you know where occasionally, and I cut it all off. I haven't cut it in over two years now (except for split-end trims) and it's about down to my nips, these days. And, I seldom tie it back. It's why I prefer WIDE brim fedoras.

I literally live on the edge of the Great Plains. In fact my favorite watering hole has two antique bars from the Black Hills gold rush days. So, I guess you can say that I come from that Wild Bill Hickock School of Style. :D

DrSpeed

One of the Regulars
I think I would prefer short hair for hat-wearers. But as I've got very little hair left (and shave the rest off) I'm not the most neutral spectator ;) . Just jealous :D .
Hair long or short, it doesn't matter. A style of your own is what counts IMHO.

Charlie Noodles

A-List Customer
I've been thinking about long hair and fedoras as of late. Since my hairline started to recede I've decided to just let it grow until it's noticeable. Sort of a last hoorah before I start shaving my head.

But I don’t think I really like the look of a fedora with long hair… Johnny Depp pulls it off, but he’d be an exception.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
I can't think of any other long haired blokes who wear hats right now (not famous, anyway).

Personally, I prefer very short for looks and comfort. One cut a month, minimum here. I really don't like the look of long hair hanging out from underneath a good dress hat. Then again, I don't think long hair looks very good with dressy clothes in general, not just hats.

[huh]

Edward

Bartender
My longhair days were long over by the time I got properly into fedoras.... nowadays I'm a strictly "all off bar the eyebrows!" from the neck up kinda guy. Don't see why long hair should be a problem, though, yes, if you were gonig for an icepick quiff, it could be difficult....

matei

One Too Many
Well... the situation resolved itself.

My hair is too thick to wear long and wear a hat. All my hats are 7 3/8'', and all the extra hair made it impossible to wear them!

I got tired of the mane, and I'm back to a '40s-esque style. Much better in the hot weather!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe