Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Light Grey Flannel Trousers -- DEAD?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Light grey (also referred to as dove grey, or pearl grey) flannel trousers were a once a classic. They matched well with practically everything: blues, darker greys, blacks, greens, and even browns. They were sold everywhere.

What happened? It seems impossible to find a new pair today. I've looked in stores (even Ralph Lauren), on the Internet, and on eBay ... with no luck at all. What gives? Are flannels in light grey even made anymore? :( Help!

---------------------
Shoes001.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
It would be like not making white cotton undershirts anymore... how can this be?

I have a beautiful pair of light gray flannels from Brooks Bros. that I need to replace for sizing and assumed they'd be easy to find. I'll start looking, too!

manton

A-List Customer
Sad indeed. You can still get light flannel cloth easily enough. I don't know why you can't get it RTW, especially from a place like RL. One of the things I always liked about RL was the huge selection of odd trousers, in most of the classic weaves and colors.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Trends, fellas. Doesn't matter what we want. It's what the buyers want us to want. Go outside that, y'best be prepared to cough up the kale. [huh]

I'm getting by this winter with heavy glen plaid suit pants, but they're getting tight.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Years ago, Tom Wolfe, the white-suited author, wrote a short story/cartoon about a man who always dressed ahead of the market. This man would be mocked and criticized by the very people who'd end up wearing his style of clothing three or four years afterward, when it would finally be "in fashion". By then, of course, he'd have moved on to another style -- and be mocked again for it.

I'm luckier. My problem is milder: I always want something two or three years before the RTW market decides to offer it, and I don't have the cash for bespoke. This has happened to me since high school, and I don't expect it to stop now. You watch: in 2009 or 2010, the clothing stores will be SATURATED with light grey flannel trousers. Wish I didn't have to wait!

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I picked up a pair of pretty recent vintage Barry Bricken light grey flannels at a thrift store recently. It's a good make, often available at discount from Sierra Trading Post online. You might check there.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Years ago, Tom Wolfe, the white-suited author, wrote a short story/cartoon about a man who always dressed ahead of the market. This man would be mocked and criticized by the very people who'd end up wearing his style of clothing three or four years afterward, when it would finally be "in fashion". By then, of course, he'd have moved on to another style -- and be mocked again for it.
Maybe he just wasn't gay or black enough?

benstephens

Practically Family
I had mine made.

flantrous5.jpg

They are made from a west of England 14oz Flannel. Very nice, and have a lovely drape to them when worn.

The other two pairs are 16oz west of England flannel.

Kindest regards

Ben

benstephens

Practically Family
Yes they are a 33. I will get a picture of them on soon. I would have thought a Tailor over there could get hold of a nice flannel?

Kindest Regards

Ben

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld