Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather jacket shoulders sizing question.

marijn

New in Town
Hi there,
Im new here but enjoying every moment im happy i found these forums:)
Recently i bought a nice leather jacket from TFL, with a shoulder width of 47cm.
Will attach a pic of the shoulders.
Now im looking into a y2 single riders indigo leather jacket.
All measurents are perfect only the shoulders are 45,5 cm.
When i try to measure my own shoulders i get 46cm(im alone atm need to ask someone else)
I know there are people here with way more experience in leather jackets than me so i thought maybe someone here knows more about this.
Your thoughts are welcome :)
1000000249.jpg

Brandrea33

One Too Many
The jacket shoulders look perfect IMO.

For me, the shoulder measurements are less important than the chest. If a jacket is going to fit me well, that’s where I’m going to notice it most.

cbez

One Too Many
I am sensitive to shoulders being too big, because I hate looking like I'm in dad's jacket. A lot of times it will cause an undesirable shape in the shoulders too.

However I've found I have almost 4cm wiggle room where shoulders look fine on me.

marijn

New in Town
The jacket shoulders look perfect IMO.

For me, the shoulder measurements are less important than the chest. If a jacket is going to fit me well, that’s where I’m going to notice it most.
Ty for your thoughts.
Ive been reading a lot into this and i find these thoughts a lot.
That shoulder size not always is that "important" when other points are good.

marijn

New in Town
I am sensitive to shoulders being too big, because I hate looking like I'm in dad's jacket. A lot of times it will cause an undesirable shape in the shoulders too.

However I've found I have almost 4cm wiggle room where shoulders look fine on me.
In my head shoulders being to big doesnt flatter the silloute .

Thats some very nice info, about your possible wiggle room :)

Im learning that now myself

All measurents are perfect only the shoulders are 45,5 cm.
When i try to measure my own shoulders i get 46cm(im alone atm need to ask someone else)
View attachment 629642

Please don't even try measuring your shoulders as there is no right way to do it. How have you gotten the width you mention? Circle doesn't have a starting point so it all depends where you have decided that the imaginary starting & ending points are.

Two leather jackets in the same size and the in the same style can & often do have 10 centimeters discrepancy in the so called shoulders width between them & still fit you perfectly.

So called because the shoulder width measurement is simply the distance between the two seams that connect sleeves to the jacket. That doesn't really mean anything. Look up raglan shoulders, for instance - How would you measure a shoulder width on one such jacket?

Anyway, do you like how your shoulders look in this jacket?

To me personally, the jacket is making your shoulders look narrow which is the illusion that only the shoulder seams dictate but that doesn't of course mean the jacket actually is too narrow at the shoulders nor should this have any effect on how comfortable the jacket feels.

It's all very personal.

marijn

New in Town
Please don't even try measuring your shoulders as there is no right way to do it. How have you gotten the width you mention? Circle doesn't have a starting point so it all depends where you have decided that the imaginary starting & ending points are.

Two leather jackets in the same size and the in the same style can & often do have 10 centimeters discrepancy in the so called shoulders width between them & still fit you perfectly.

So called because the shoulder width measurement is simply the distance between the two seams that connect sleeves to the jacket. That doesn't really mean anything. Look up raglan shoulders, for instance - How would you measure a shoulder width on one such jacket?

Anyway, do you like how your shoulders look in this jacket?

To me personally, the jacket is making your shoulders look narrow which is the illusion that only the shoulder seams dictate but that doesn't of course mean the jacket actually is too narrow at the shoulders nor should this have any effect on how comfortable the jacket feels.

It's all very personal.
Ty for your thoughts.
I like how they fit and look.
Im starting to learn theres more options then just that one measurement.
I own a Varsity jacket and those shoulder measurements are way different.
Still it feels and looks perfect.

Very nice to see some other thoughts on this subject :)

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is spot on. I have purchased jackets with shoulder measurements that I thought would be too narrow for me, but because of the sleeve construction at the shoulder seam I had plenty of room. I like my jackets to fit a bit roomy, but I agree with what others have said that shoulders that are too wide just look sloppy.

Rm759

New in Town
This topic is great for newbies trying to figure out their measurements.

From reading here/other posts and from my very limited experience, it seems like the P2P number is the most important number as to weather the jacket will fit, be too tight or too big.
For me if the fit in chest is off then the jacket doesn't fit and the rest doesn't matter.

I don't know if I'm looking at it correctly but I hope it's this simple.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
It actually is.

Chest width = jacket size. P2P is the only measurement you need to know.
Weeeeelll, you need to check sleeve and back length, too - sometimes they are funky.

But you are right - everything about the jacket follows from P2P, not the other way around.

Sometimes, in vintage MC jackets shoulder width is very generous to provide range of motion. Some ppl do not like this style, hence some contemporary brands "modernized" their MC jackets by narrowing the shoulders, bringing them closer to fashion jackets. Not best for riding, but look great.

cbez

One Too Many
It actually is.

Chest width = jacket size. P2P is the only measurement you need to know.
a little too simplistic. but it definitely has the least wiggle room. that probably works for body types close to standard OTR sizing though.

sleeve length, shoulder width, and overall length can make or break a jacket for me easily.

bigmanbigtruck

One of the Regulars
This topic is great for newbies trying to figure out their measurements.

From reading here/other posts and from my very limited experience, it seems like the P2P number is the most important number as to weather the jacket will fit, be too tight or too big.
For me if the fit in chest is off then the jacket doesn't fit and the rest doesn't matter.

I don't know if I'm looking at it correctly but I hope it's this simple.
I think everyone would agree that p2p should be the first number you look at - but keep in mind, it can be a range depending on the style of the jacket. I'd rather a cafe racer fit slimmer than a boxier design like a 50's Highwayman.
You don't have to go too crazy with sticking to an absolute #.

From there on, I think it's dependent on your body structure. If you have relatively long/short torso or arms, then absolutely length will be a concern. If you are V-shaped, then the waist + hem-opening will need to be factored in if you're going for a more tapered look.

I think shoulders are probably the most accommodating area as long as they're at about your shoulder size or slightly bigger. Going smaller would make your movement feel restricted.

Recommend checking out this thread. The dude tries on different jackets with all kinds of measurements and as you can see, they generally work well despite not sticking to his "ideal" measurements on all of them

Last edited:

Rm759

New in Town
I think everyone would agree that p2p should be the first number you look at - but keep in mind, it can be a range depending on the style of the jacket. I'd rather a cafe racer fit slimmer than a boxier design like a 50's Highwayman.

From there on, I think it's dependent on your body structure. If you have relatively long/short torso or arms, then absolutely length will be a concern. If you are V-shaped, then the waist + hem-opening will need to be factored in if you're going for a more tapered look.

I think shoulders are probably the most accommodating area as long as they're at about your shoulder size or slightly bigger. Going smaller would make your movement feel restricted.

Recommend checking out this thread. The dude tries on different jackets with all kinds of measurements and as you can see, they generally work well despite not sticking to his "ideal" measurements on all of them
Great info. Thanks

marijn

New in Town

Ty for sharing your thoughts.
Great link that are things i really enjoy.
I dont have stores close to fit things i want.
Very good to read other peoples opinions.
I always checked shoulders sizing, if that didnt match i would look further.
Great insight and start to see a lot more in given measurements

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
That's a Hooch Hauler right? The Y2 single rider will fit very different than the Hooch, totally different cuts. With the Y2 single rider you have to go up at least one tag size from your actual chest size imo, the chest size is almost same as the tag, that's how slim they wanted it to fit. The y2 single rider also has full action back that goes all the way up to the shoulder seams so the shoulder measurements may be different from different sources. The indigo horsehide is super awesome.
IMG_9859.JPG

IMG_9858.JPG

IMG_9860.jpg

marijn

New in Town
That's a Hooch Hauler right? The Y2 single rider will fit very different than the Hooch, totally different cuts. With the Y2 single rider you have to go up at least one tag size from your actual chest size imo, the chest size is almost same as the tag, that's how slim they wanted it to fit. The y2 single rider also has full action back that goes all the way up to the shoulder seams so the shoulder measurements may be different from different sources. The indigo horsehide is super awesome.
View attachment 629913
View attachment 629914
View attachment 629915
Yes thats a Hooch Hauler, recently bought it here :)
I was searching for a black version of the single riders and came in to contact with barnstormers.
Had a lot of mail contact and shared this pic to.
The pointed me on the indigo one.
After checking some info i was sold.
Just like the pics you share looks like an awesome leather.

Im aware that both jackets are a very different fit.
I start to see that theres more than shoulder measurements to go from.
I am very happy with all peoples thoughts on this question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads