Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather Fit?

kronos77

One of the Regulars
Can anyone tell me generally how Johnson Leather jackets fit? Are they looser , as I and others here have found with Schott? Are they tighter like Aero? It has been said that American manufacturers make jackets for beer bellied guys and the overseas companies make them more on the slim side.

Thanks

The great thing about Johnson is that Alan is very accessible. Tell him how you want it to fit, and it will.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
The standard models I've owned, the M-120 flight jacket, and a modded M-500 (perfecto style), both in size 40, close to my chest size (39.5), fit well with room to layer. They probably run closer to a 41-42, but they work. I'd size down if you want a snug, really streamlined fit.

The M-120 felt and was a bit large when unzipped, but when zipped up I wouldn't want it any tighter. I think the pit-pit was something like 23" across and shoulders 19", which is more like a 42. But it worked! Mine was in goatskin, but if I was to get it in a heavier hide I'd probably size down or talk to Alan about slimming it up a bit.

For the M-500 size 40, it's rather large without the side belts buckled in a tighter position, but I wanted it that way. It's perfect when the belts are tightened. Not overly big, not overly slim. I wouldn't go by the measurements for this model-I think the shoulders measure 20". But they feel like 18". Somehow it works.

For a sample M-200 jacket Alan shipped to me to try on, we started by sizing down to a 38, which was still pretty large. I ended up not going with it, because it just didn't work with my body type. I really liked it though, so I might give it a second try.

I also briefly owned a size 40 A-2 from them (not the M-120), but the fit didn't work so I passed it on.

I'd say most of the Johnson jackets I've tried run a little on the big side, but not so much that you necessarily have to size down. They're well-tailored, comfortable fits.The M-200 was the only one I felt I truly needed to size down on, but I know the opinions vary.

Last edited:

trapp

Practically Family
Of course different body types will find them fitting differently, but in general I consider most of the stock models quite fitted. I'm true to size in the m-200 and n-200. They are athletically cut; if you have an athletic 'V' build then maybe you could size down but if your build is 'average' I would hesitate to size down without trying the jackets on first. Also keep in mind that if going the stock route, these models are very short, so sizing down might shorten it even more. Not necessarily a good or bad thing, but a consideration.

Similar to nick's, my experience is that you can size down a size on m-500; it's a longer jacket and seems to me to have a slightly boxier cut. I wear size 40 in the n & m-200 models and I get away with a 38 in the M500.

Hope that helps. Great jackets - good luck!

Peacoat

Bartender
I have two Johnson Leather jackets and both are trim fitted. I have a 42" chest with a tapered waist and narrow hips. I found it necessary to go to a 44 with the Johnson, as I do in all of my quality leather jackets. Both my JL jackets are a trim fit built on a tapered V cut. My proportions must be the same as the Johnson model, as no fit alterations had to be made.

So my experience is that Johnson jackets are closely fitted as I had to go a size up with both of mine.

Once a purchase has been made, Alan will send a test jacket, which eliminates most of the guess work.

It is a good company with a quality product, and Alan is a pleasure to work with.

Edit Note: I should add that I have two of the M-200 models.

Last edited:

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
I have a 42 inch chest and 33 inch waist and Johnsons stuff fits off the rack for me at 42. However, I've ordered three custom pieces from them so go figure. My arms are shorter than their off the rack though so it all depends. The upcharge on custom is so small you might as well do it for a perfect fit.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
If you want it custom made to measure (and don't mind spending for some extra shipping): Alan sends you a new jacket in the same basic style you want. That jacket might suit you perfectly and you're done. Otherwise, you take some pix of yourself wearing it, email them to Allen, and then you talk on the phone and he says 1" off here or 2" more there. Then you ship it back It's really amazing how he does it, but that's experience for you. That's how I did it anyway and I don't have a smidge of buyer's remorse. And when people see the jacket, their brains fall out.:)

Last edited:

Mark Ricketts

One of the Regulars
Ask Alan nicely and he will send you the exact measurements for the size and model of jacket you are interested in, shoulder, back length, arm length, pit to pit, waist and hips.
As a general rule the shoulders are wide and the belly slim, but there is no problem making one to your specifications.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld