Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket style identification

Dr Mcgrat

New in Town
Hello Ladies and Gents,

I've been following the site for a while but only just made an account so forgive me for being a newbie.

Now I inherited a leather jacket from my Grandfather after he died, it has a label that says "Pelle" but after a google search I couldn't find any decent info.

I'm looking for the sort of style it is not the exact model.

I'd also like some opinions as to fit, it may need to be taken to a tailor but I'm not sure.

I can take some better photos if needed.

Thank you.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Pelle I believe is the Italian for leather. Literally 'skin'.
Sorry, cant tell you much more than that the jacket may be italian or at least European origin. You will really need some larger photographs with some light to bring out the details. That is not a critisism as we all started posting and using digital pics at one stage.
Enjoy the forums, John.

tomtom42

New in Town
Hi there,

as it has been written before by rocketeer "Pelle" is the italian word for "hide" or "skin" - so I guess the jacket was made for some generic or store brand.

Of course there probably is a lot of personal value to things that have some kind of family history. It is hard to tell how well it fits you, but if the fit is decent I would wear it as a happy memory of your granddad and not worry too much about the origins or quality - at least it was good enough to boecome a heritage :)

br.
T°M

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
It's not a vintage pattern, more of a 3/4 length fashion jacket. A recent item, no older than 1990's I'd think. If it's fairly light and soft I imagine it's lamb. You could say it was in the realm of being a car coat or field jacket pattern.

As to fit - given the nature of these jackets (they tend to be roomy) it's fine. Think of a M65 military field jacket fit.

Last edited:

Dr Mcgrat

New in Town
These have been some fantastic responses!

Seb has provided me with all of the information I wanted to know :)

I can confirm it was bought in the 90s and it is light and soft.

Thanks everyone!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I recall that brand being sold at Marshall Fields in the early 90s. They sold in the $500 range if memory serves.

...I'd also like some opinions as to fit, it may need to be taken to a tailor but I'm not sure...
Keeping in mind that I prefer my jackets (especially leather jackets) "roomy" in the shoulders with the sleeves slightly longer than usual, I think it fits you just fine; in fact, that's about how my jackets usually fit me. And if you wear layers and/or thick sweaters or sweatshirts for warmth, you'll appreciate the extra room. If it were my jacket I'd wear it as-is, but your tastes and preferences are what truly matter most.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust