Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

is this a vintage Dept store mannequin?

green papaya

One Too Many
man1.jpg

man2.jpg

man3.jpg

just bought this male 1/2 body mannequin to use for my vintage military uniform displays.

it has removable arms and hands with a solid steel stand.

looks like it could be 1970's ?

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I don't know the age. Sorry.

But I do like it. I too have bought a few modern mannequins for military displays and find them to be 'girly' in appearance and posture. Yours looks more manly to my eye.

The head on yours is art deco in style and I like that. What is it made of?

green papaya

One Too Many
yes then head does have an art deco look to it, the seller says it's sturdier than modern mannequins, and it's of fiberglass construction.

I like the color, and the body has a very atheletic look, like a swimmer's build

the slicked back hairstyle on the head also has a vintage 1940's look

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm going to say no. By vintage, if you mean 1950's and earlier, than the construction is too new. If you mean 1970-1980's vintage, than the answer is probably yes.

With a little research, I can probably pinpoint the mannequin manufacturer for you, if it isn't marked. But the telling signs of my definition of vintage (not necessarily your definition) is the bold definition of the chest region (modern addition; old mannequins were flat) and primarily the joining/joints of the wrists and arms. The types of joints shown are modern in design; the older mannequins had different types of joints.

I can also discuss the facial structure of this piece, but don't think it's necessary unless you are curious.

Deco influence? Definately.
Vintage as in pre-1950's? No.
Lovely and a keeper? Absolutely. :)

Hope this helps.

Vintage Betty

Foofoogal

Banned
Vintage Betty, your box is full. Tried to send this message:

Hello,
This is foofoogal. I saw your message about the mannequin. I was wondering if you could help me with mine. Mine is vintage but missing the hands. Do you have any idea where I can get the hands? There is a round circle rod on an oval base they fit into. I have put a wanted bulletin out at ebay forever but no luck. Thanks. I would be eternally grateful. Sandy

Vintage Betty

Foofoogal said:
Vintage Betty, your box is full. Tried to send this message:

Hello,
This is foofoogal. I saw your message about the mannequin. I was wondering if you could help me with mine. Mine is vintage but missing the hands. Do you have any idea where I can get the hands? There is a round circle rod on an oval base they fit into. I have put a wanted bulletin out at ebay forever but no luck. Thanks. I would be eternally grateful. Sandy

Sorry about that. I have a lot of replies to respond to and have decided to give each person careful consideration of a response instead of just jotting something back quickly. My apologies.

Yes, I can help and point out resources. Out of respect for this thread, can you start a new thread with detailed pictures of your mannequin and a re-post of your request above?

Warmly,

Vintage Betty

Vintage Betty

green papaya said:
thanks Vintage Betty! I dont have the mannequin yet, so I dont know if it's marked with manufacturers markings. :)

Green Papaya is one of my favorite restaurants. ;)

Anyway, if I had been smart enough to start at the base, I could have told you it's modern without all the mumbo-jumbo. It's a modern pipe stand on a plywood base. :eusa_doh:

Vintage Betty

dhermann1 said:
VB, after your astounding tour de force with the photo, you're going to have to start charging for your services!

lol lol lol Mr. dhermann1 is talking about this thread.

I find it very fun to take all my useless knowledge...er.....brilliance of my years of research experience...yeah that's it....and share it! I mean, really I do! ;)

Quite truthfully, I'm thankful to share bits from my book and magazine collection. At least now I can justify the purchases I made!

donCarlos

Practically Family
It looks like it walks on hands :) Funny...
The head looks kinda art deco, eventhough the manequin is probably much,much younger. Still - It´s a very nice item.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Looks '80s / early '90s. The shop I used to work at had numerous prewar mannequins and while the overall presentation is somewhat similar, the originals definitely didn't look like that. Many of them had hand-painted detail, pretty much to look as lifelike as possible. They did have that somewhat creepy 'bright-and-cheery' saccharine magazine / billboard look, though.

green papaya

One Too Many
IM004456.jpg

heres how it looks with WWII gear

the stand is steel plate [not plywood] and the arms and hands are quick detachable with metal lugs and detent

it seems well made / heavy duty, probably used by a major dept store like Macys

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nebelschal