Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

is it safe to wash WWII fatigues in the washer ?

green papaya

One Too Many
I bought a WWII M43 cotton HBT fatigue shirt and it has a rust stain on the pocket, is it safe to use a little stain remover and wash it on the delicate cycle? or should I gently hand wash and lay flat to dry?

I have no particular expertise in such matters, green papaya, but I, like you, am interested in learning what may or may not be prudent.

I can say, though, that I've had some success with rust-stain remover. I've used it on cotton garments that got stained by the innards of metal buttons and/or snaps that got wet and oxidized and transfered the rust onto the fabric. The rust-stain remover did no apparent harm to the fabric itself, for whatever that's worth. Are you confident that the stain you're dealing with is indeed rust and not something that's just rust colored?

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bar Keeper's Friend takes rust stains right out like you wouldn't believe. It's a cleanser (in the same sort of can as Bon Ami, Comet, Ajax), but make a little past and rub it into the stain and it's gone in minutes. You might try it on a hidden area to see if it affects the dyes, but so far on everything I've used it on, it hasn't damaged fabric or lightened dyes or anything of the sort.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz is right, that cotton stuff will take anything.

It's the wool fatigues you don't want to wash or dry. It'll shrink several sizes and pill up like you won't believe.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Yes- a cold machine wash and hang-dry will preserve them.
Dryers are hell on clothes.

I have quite a selection of US HBT and British KD, which is on a high rotation and gets washed frequently.Cold wash/hang-dry will preserve the colour.

B
T

green papaya

One Too Many
WWII HBT cotton shirt

thanks, I'll will wash them in cold water in the washer and hang to dry

I have some stain remover called SHOUT that works well

I'll make sure not to use the dryer

Im not really sure if it's a rust stain or something else?

d3b9_1.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I don't know about Navy, but Marine Corps fatigues had a herring bone weave in the material. My mother wore her WW II fatigues for going to the beach, camping, etc., continuously into the 1960's. She washed them in the washer and they held up for years. I guess she finally tossed them. I wish I still had them. I have both parents' green wool covers, my mom's barracks cover and my dad's piss cutter, but no fatigues.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
The Army used HBT, too but different from the USMC HBT.
The USMC HBT has a larger, more regular, more distinct herringbone.

I remember now, I think USN HBTs did have star buttons but some also had black metal buttons with laurel wreaths, I have owned such an example, that's why I'm asking if it's USN.
Surprisingly, the USMC buttons have USMC stamped into them.

B
T

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Washing out rust?

Probably THE best product for removing rust is "Whink Rust Remover" that comes in a olive-brown squirt bottle with a white cap.
Warning! This stuff is lethal- it can cause chemical burns and permanent nerve damage. HydroFluoric acid ain't too good for ya!

If you machine wash the shirt/jacket, also turn it inside out- this will reduce how much the edges get worn down and faded. I agree with the "Cold water, drip dry" method too.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
I remember now, I think USN HBTs did have star buttons but some also had black metal buttons with laurel wreaths, I have owned such an example, that's why I'm asking if it's USN.
Surprisingly, the USMC buttons have USMC stamped into them.

B
T

I have late war Army, Navy, and Marine gear (both denim and hbt) that all use the flat metal buttons with the stars.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Neither Shout nor Oxyclean will take out rust stains. Oxyclean's great for getting whites really white or food-based stains (including blood) but nada on rust. Shout's fine for other common stains and grease/oil spots. Both are in my laundry arsenal for use when the need arises for what they do best. And if you don't know for sure the origin of the stain, I'd probably start with Oxyclean.

I still stand by Bar Keeper's Friend on rust - no worries like the various acid-based rust removers, you can use your fingers to rub it in, it's cheap AND you can use it for other stuff like countertops and sinks and tubs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82