Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ideas for New Aero 1930's Halfbelt

zaman fu

Familiar Face
Hello all,

I am in the process of ordering a 1930's Halfbelt in vintage brown FQHH and am debating whether to request a leather strip on the bottom inside edge to protect against premature wear of the lining, which will be a tartan lining from Loch Carron. Aero charges 50 GBP for this feature. I am leaning against it as Amanda from Aero has said that she is not aware of any problems with premature wear of the lining in that area. I am also concerned that doubling up on the FQHH might make it too thick in that area. Do those of you with Aeros in FQHH think it would be worth the 50 GBP to have this done? Did it make the jacket too thick on the bottom edge?

Thanks.

Tom

JanSolo

Practically Family
The leather strip you mentioned is a neat and good looking feature and it does protect the lining. But only if the lining is made from a material that's prone to premature wear or fraying like alpaca. Another reason for premature wear of the lining could be a holster of a gun or cell phone or pocket knife/multitool pouch. I don't see why a tartan should be aging quicker than other linings although I am certain that it is not as hard wearing as cotton drill or gabardine. You could ask for a 1 1/2 inch wide black or dark brown corduroy strip instead of leather. That's been done many times before with great success. It's cheaper, less bulky and good looking.

zaman fu

Familiar Face
Thank you Jan.
I think I will ask for the corduroy. I have one other question for you. I saw that your 30's Halfbelt was made to be the same length front and back. I have also asked for this same modification. Will told me that this would be done by making the back longer. How do you like the overall length of your jacket with this modification? I would like my jacket's overall length to be the same or similar to the 50's Halfbelt or Route 66 jackets. Do you have any pictures of the back of your jacket while wearing it that you could share?
Thanks again.
Tom

Cooperson

One Too Many
The other reason for the leather strip is to prevent the possibility of the lining sagging below the jacket. My Highwayman was fine when new, but, after it had broken in, the lining began to show by about 1/2" when seen from the rear. I got my good wife to sew a horizontal pleat in the lining, which solved the problem, but for my next Aero (Californian) I had the leather strip put in. It doesn't make the bottom edge too thick at all and for me it's well worth the extra cost.

Last edited:

Lear

One of the Regulars
I vaguely remember that Aero aren't too keen on doing this mod, and therefore charge extra for it to be added. Is it something that's really necessary on any of the 'Big 3' (™bobJones)?

Lear

'Big 3' refers to Veste, Stockman and Cheyenne.

andy richards

Practically Family
I have this on all my Aeroleather jackets. Besides a functional addition it also looks better IMHO.
Good luck with your decision.
Andy

IMG00010-1.jpg

IMG00009-1.jpg

IMG00004-2.jpg

IMG00018.jpg

JanSolo

Practically Family
How do you like the overall length of your jacket with this modification? I would like my jacket's overall length to be the same or similar to the 50's Halfbelt or Route 66 jackets. Do you have any pictures of the back of your jacket while wearing it that you could share?

Sorry no pics of the back. All of those "tree pictures" are taken with a tripod, self-timer and natural lighting, therefore it's difficult to get a decent photo, when you are turning your back against the camera...
My 30s HB is a bit longer than a 50s HB would be. But I requested the extra length for the body. This not the result of the slight pattern mod that makes front and back even.

Does this one help? It was not included in the review.

4976020659_683708141a_z.jpg

Another one:

4975777365_9b0758d276_z.jpg

Last edited:

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
I always thought it odd that Aero doesn't include the hem strip as a matter of course, certain other manufacturers who charge less for their jackets do so.
I won't comment on the 50 pd. charge for the strip other than to say I think it's a bit much considering one is paying approx. $900 for the jacket to begin with.

zaman fu

Familiar Face
Bonneville, I agree it's pricy, but I figured I'd rather spend the money than to regret not having done it when it's too late.

One more question for everyone: I also ordered "double-leather" cuffs instead of having the cuffs lined with fabric. What are your thoughts on this mod? Will the cuffs (std. 30's halfbelt button cuffs on a FQHH jacket) be too bulky in this configuration? Perhaps corduroy lining would make more sense?

Thanks again.

Last edited:

JanSolo

Practically Family
The double leather cuffs are not a mod but come as standard on certain Aeros. But you'll have to specify those on a 30s HB otherwise you'll get single leather ones. The leather lining can feel quite cold on the skin especially in lower temperatures. Corduroy is probably more comfortable but less durable. Bear in mind that button cuffs (no matter how they are made) are generally quite narrow. There's not much room for let's say a big wristwatch or a thick sweater AND turnback button cuff shirt. Standard shirt plus thin sweater plus slim dress watch does work though...

Edward

Bartender
Bonneville, I agree it's pricy, but I figured I'd rather spend the money than to regret not having done it when it's too late.

One more question for everyone: I also ordered "double-leather" cuffs instead of having the cuffs lined with fabric. What are your thoughts on this mod? Will the cuffs (std. 30's halfbelt button cuffs on a FQHH jacket) be too bulky in this configuration? Perhaps corduroy lining would make more sense?

Thanks again.

I have both variants. My Bootlegger came with the double leather cuffs - I had requested "the button cuffs, as on a Thirties halfbelt" in place of the regular bootlegger sleeves, and this is what Aero chose to fit. The fabric-lined cuffs on my Thirties Halfbelt are definitely lighter, and much easier to unbutton (should that be something you want to do regularly - I don't have a problem getting my little, girly hands through the sleeve end when fastened, YMMV). The only other significant difference that occurs to me is that the leather-lined option are less like to show grubby marks on the inner cuff (especially if you wear short sleeves under it).

holdencain

One of the Regulars
The double leather cuffs are not a mod but come as standard on certain Aeros. But you'll have to specify those on a 30s HB otherwise you'll get single leather ones. The leather lining can feel quite cold on the skin especially in lower temperatures. Corduroy is probably more comfortable but less durable. Bear in mind that button cuffs (no matter how they are made) are generally quite narrow. ...

I agree w/ the double leather over the corduroy. I think you will love it.

Jan had mentioned to me that the button cuff was *narrow*, so I asked Amanda/Vickie to make it a "little looser" given I have very large wrists/hands. I am having no problems, although there is not a lot of extra room there. I also asked for "tighter turns" in the manufacturing process of my size 42, given I wear a 43 suit and was concerned about the "slim fit". I don't know how much difference this has made (since I never tried a regular size 42 in the 30's HB...) but it seems to be roomy enough. I think a 42 would have been a bit more snug.
HC

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
I made the jump and ordered a HalfBelt 1930 slim fit in Brown 3 weeks ago.

I didn't ask many things,

- a bi-swing back
- altered length in the sleeves and back to fit me
- corduroy lining for the pocket
- tartan for the lining

I can't wait to get it with all the satisfactory compliments these jackets get on this board!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I made the jump and ordered a HalfBelt 1930 slim fit in Brown 3 weeks ago.

I didn't ask many things,

- a bi-swing back
- altered length in the sleeves and back to fit me
- corduroy lining for the pocket
- tartan for the lining

I can't wait to get it with all the satisfactory compliments these jackets get on this board!

Speed I'll be very interested to hear how it compares to the Tony Nowak half-belt you have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe