Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think I want Aero, but Cirrus is offering to give me a discount...help!

JLStorm

Practically Family
Ok, I am almost completely sold on having Aero make me a custom jacket based on the B3 design. Amanda has been so helpful at Aero and they are willing to do whatever it is to get me the jacket that I want. She has even offered some cost saving tips as I am on a budget. I am about 90% sold on Aero...BUT Cirrus recently emailed me back about a custom b-3 gunner jacket which I really like the look of also. I let Sally know that it was simply out of my price range when she told me the charge (due to my size the charges were higher) and she is willing to work with me so that I get the jacket I want and so that she doesnt loose a sale.

Amanda and Sally both seem very nice, although Aero was begging me to send me samples (which I accepted) whereas Cirrus would rather not, but possibly due to lack of material or cost of shipping.

I just want the jacket that will have the warmest shearling with the thickest skin (to avoid tearing as happens with thin skins). Cirrus says that their skins are extremely thick and can only be punctured with scissors. Aero has let me know that shearling simply isnt the toughest skin around so they are willing to do some more overlays.

Aero will get me what I want for GBP 450.00 with free shipping.
Cirrus is GBP 500 + shipping charges (we are working on finding cheaper shipping methods than her traditional company)

Does anyone have any input, opinions, or reasons why should or shouldnt go with either company?

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
SKiES the LiMiT...

boy, cirrus and aero...when it comes to jackets, sky metaphors are the order of the day...

which wasn't your question...but to that, i will say that i wanted to get a luftwaffe jacket, but was ok with getting a modern version that basically was the same design, though no neck and waist buckle...with that compromise understood, i looked very hard at pictures of what was out there...

i found aero's highwayman with certain options picked (like 1-piece back, added top chest zip pocket, etc) would create a 90percent accurate replica of a 40s luftwaffen jacket, while costing $800 vs. $1000+ to get an exact replica from eastman et al...i was willing to forgo the neck and waist buckle...but not just to save bucks, i liked aero's execution of that style based on extensive photos...however, lewis leathers had a jacket as well that fit the bill, a modern motorcycle jacket that was just as good cutwise as the aero...and was even used in the film 'battle of britain' by the film company...however, with exchange rates what they are, $1400 was out of the question...hence aero

looking at cirrus' website, they seem quite well versed in the jacket you wish...as for aero, living in calif i do NOT want such a warm jacket that i'll wearn twice a year, so i haven't compared pix...so i'd recommend comparing pix of the jackets against authentic photos of the time, and against each other, and going with the most authentic to your tastes...another $100 over time will mean nothing compared to your lasting enjoyment of a jacket that was what you wanted...

i will add, that dealing with aero has not only been the best experience ever with a jacket company, it has been the best experience ever dealing with aNy company from which i was purchasing aNything...mark moyes, the u.s. rep truly an exceptional person to deal with... he gives that company remarkable appeal and a high reputation...amazing what one person can do for a company, though i'm sure the others at aero are wonderful as well

by the way, my 'luftwaffe' highwayman is going to be here in a few days...i'm excited...but as for your question, i'd say the answer is in the details, which are seen in the pictures...study the pix, and see which maker best produces the jacket yOu see as what yOu want in a shearling jacket

best of luck
johnnyjohnny

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
I have an Aero custom Irvin in their ‘real deal’ sheepskin. I can’t imagine a tougher sheepskin.

When the first jacket arrived it was too small so they without hesitation made and sent me a larger size jacket, very quickly indeed. Will Cirrus do this if necessary?.

I have not owned a Cirrus so can only say that if you not looking for complete authenticity and want a very well made jacket to your spec then I am sure Aero will not disappoint.

Can you tell us about the custom specification you are looking for on the B3?

James

John Lever

One Too Many
There is no comparison between the two on authenticity, customer service and quality. Aero wins every time.
An example. Ask for some samples ?
Aero will send good size pieces 4 x 4 inches or postcard sized. Cirrus will send you a postage stamp !
Go for Aero.

Naphtali

Practically Family
Several Britons have mentioned that Cirrus products tend to be perhaps higher priced than their quality warrants. Having written that, if Sally is willing to work with you, strongly consider their [Cirrus] 2plus2. Jacket's design -- that is, number of seams, flexibility of cuffs, etc. -- appears to be superior to any B-3.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
One, last thing. If you buy a Cirrus jacket, please PM me the percentage of your discount. You see, if you can lead the way with a discount that renders my buying objections moot, I would buy the 2plus2 immediately.

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
I can't help with your decision, but I wanted to say that it's great to see two companies offering that kind of service and help. It seems rare to find one that really deserves your business, let alone two.

But that Aero Route 66 in another thread is really impressive.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Thanks for all the replies. I have been back and forth between styles and types of jackets from horsehide, to steerhide, to b3s, irvins, barnstomers, etc. Basically I need a good jacket for very cold weather. I have a military issue N3B, a very warm nylon B15 jacket, a warm schott 184SM and a very cheap (cost $250 US) shearling b-3 style jacket that I got several years ago.

Without a doubt I prefer the warmth of the shearling to any of the other jackets. I love the n3b parka and it is VERY warm, light weight, and easily carried or packed, but it has some dangerous flaws in my line of work that personally I find my b3 style jacket makes up for.

Anyway, after going back and forth with several companies I decided on a B3 or Irvin jacket and I really like the fur type shearling on Aero's B3, but they are sending me samples of the Irvin shearling as well just for my to look at as the wool may hide dirt better.

What I am having done to the jacket is:
  • making it about an inch longer
  • having the collar enlarged so that it will more than cover my whole head when put up during wind/ice storms
  • full steerhide overlays over every inch of the arms
  • steerhide overlays over the neck area and shoulder areas
  • Either putting zips at the end of the sleeves or having no shearling there so that if I have to get my hands dirty the shearling doesnt get stained or wet, etc.

Im doing all these changes for increased functionality, not looks and obviously authenticity has gone completely out the window. I also have to have it custom sized because of my shape.

So, thats my story. Cirrus is willing to work with me and Sally did offer to send samples after I mentioned that Aero was doing the same. I have to admit though that Sally seems as though she is very willing to help, but just doesnt have the same resources as Aero does. It seems she is a much, much smaller operation. Overall though, Aero just seems like they have more total knowledge of the traits of the hides they use. Maybe its because they sell more jackets and have more good and bad experiences. Sally is such a sweet lady and if I had lots of disposable income I would be more willing to take a chance, but Aero just makes me feel a bit more at ease for one reason or another.

I Simonius

New in Town
JLStorm said:
Does anyone have any input, opinions, or reasons why should or shouldnt go with either company?

My experience: if it were 1997 when I bought my first sheepskin, (Hurricane Classic Flying jacket) I would have said go with Cirrus, but since my sheepskin has fallen to bits ( I wear it 7 months+ a year so that's well over 5yrs non-stop wear with no skin treatment in all weathers) so I ordered and paid for a new one.

I was so disappointed with the thickness compared to the original that I returned it immediately and got a refund (I had to wait until they could resell it because it was a custom job). Sally was nothing but pleasant throughout although I can't say the same for her partner.

I was initially sent samples and should have realised at that point that it was no where near as thick as my original which was the same thickness as the new samples even after 10 yrs of wear so imagine how thick the original was when i got it - it was so thick that I couldnt bend my arms! I suppose I just didnt believe that the new jacket would be as thin as the samples i.e. that the quality of skins would really be that different from my first one from them but they were! So.. big dissappointment with cirrus thickness of skins now.

Aero: I ordered a horsehide jacket from Amanda about 3 yrs ago, customised and was very pleased with the quality. When I had occasion to contact them for help with wet paint I had leaned on, their customer service was way beyond the call of duty and so I would recommend them without reservation for both quality of skins and customer service

I hope my experiences are helpful
ps-please post pics of your jacket when you get it it sounds very like the specs I am going to be going after as well - I still need to replace my old hurricane - Although it was recently repaired, it is still falling to bits faster than I can repair it with new holes appearing all the time ! I'll be really interested in how the steerhide overlays feel to wear;)

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
What I am having done to the jacket is:

having the collar enlarged so that it will more than cover my whole head when put up during wind/ice storms

JLS: You keep coming back to sheepskin, I see. I was looking at your modifications, however, and the one noted above caught my eye.

If you have a shearling collar that will more than cover your entire head when you pull it up, how are you going to see to walk (or do anything else)?

Get the Aero. Get the Aero. Get the Aero.

JLStorm

Practically Family
DJS Press said:
JLS: You keep coming back to sheepskin, I see. I was looking at your modifications, however, and the one noted above caught my eye.

If you have a shearling collar that will more than cover your entire head when you pull it up, how are you going to see to walk (or do anything else)?

Get the Aero. Get the Aero. Get the Aero.

The big collar is just to pull up during a wind storm or ice storm to cover my face, head, and neck. When working or moving around outside of those circumstances I would have the collar down. I need a full view of my surroundings when working so a collar or hood doesnt work for me, but the problem with a hood is that even when its down it still obstructs my view (cause warm hoods never seem to go all the way down) like on my N3B. So, the enlarged collar that covers all of my head but that can be put down and not obstruct my view is a good middle ground.

I wear a mad bomber hat to keep my head and ears warm the rest of the time which makes up for a hood.

I Simonius

New in Town
JLStorm said:
The big collar is just to pull up during a wind storm or ice storm to cover my face, head, and neck. When working or moving around outside of those circumstances I would have the collar down.
I wear a mad bomber hat to keep my head and ears warm the rest of the time which makes up for a hood.

With my sheepskin I also had a sheepskin hat, this was very effective even against driving sleet but didn't restrict my view - worth considering?

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I've owned RAF jackets from both - we all make mistakes - and in terms of the quality of the jacket there is absolutely no comparison on rational terms. However, people don't buy jackets (even $500 jackets) on rational terms.

My advice? Don't take anyone's advice...

JLStorm

Practically Family
H.Johnson said:
I've owned RAF jackets from both - we all make mistakes - and in terms of the quality of the jacket there is absolutely no comparison on rational terms. However, people don't buy jackets (even $500 jackets) on rational terms.

My advice? Don't take anyone's advice...

How dont they compare in terms of quality?

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Like I say, I have my view of factors such as quality, authenticity etc. based on my own knowledge and experience. Everyone else has their view, which is probably different. People have different requirements and perceptions. I don't expect to agree with them or them to agree with me. Therefore I don't usually try to influence them in any way.

However, since you ask, the Cirrus sheepskin does not resemble that of the corresponding 'original'. For me, the cut and styling look as if the jackets are made from photographs rather than original jackets. The material was durable enough and the jacket was reasonably well put together. Like some other manufacturers, Cirrus operate in a market (e.g. sports car drivers) where close resemblance to a WW2 jacket is not a prime concern. As such, they are a reasonable buy, but not as good as the Aero. As I said, I didn't know any better...I learned since.

The Aero jacket is not quite the same as originals I have owned or examined, but was much closer. Again, its a matter of personal choice - one person's quality is another person's garbage...

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
For your budget...

You could get a decent WWII original. Or if it must be a 'new made' then there are better bangs for your buck out there.

However, sticking to the strict sentiments of this thread, AERO is the one.

Edward

Bartender
Folks, if I remember correctly, the threadstarter is the same fellow who was on a while back, discussing a customised design, or an alternative to the Irvin / B3, the idea being to create soemthing warm and durable with a specific function in mind, rather than historical accuracy being paramount, so we should probably bear that in mind.

(Though FWIW, what seems to my eye to let the Aeros down a bit is the sleeves - seem too narrow and tubular in the photos I've seen? Never handled one in person, though.)

I Simonius

New in Town
Edward said:
(Though FWIW, what seems to my eye to let the Aeros down a bit is the sleeves - seem too narrow and tubular in the photos I've seen? Never handled one in person, though.)

That is a very important observation - I would like to hear from anyone whpo owns this jacket - it's on my shopping list;)

JLStorm

Practically Family
PADDY said:
You could get a decent WWII original. Or if it must be a 'new made' then there are better bangs for your buck out there.

However, sticking to the strict sentiments of this thread, AERO is the one.

I wish I could save money and get the same or better quality through an original. But I need a size 50 or 52 with custom wide arms that will fit an arm with 21 - 22" circumfrence. That leaves originals and non custom makers out of the running as far as I can tell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe