Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I,Claudius

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
It was a series done in the mid 70's. Loved it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074006/

Derek Jacobi did a fantastic job of it. I remember seeing it in the late 80's on PBS, it was on each Tuesday I think. It was my first introduction to him as an actor and I have enjoyed him ever since.
I don't know if I could anyone else play the stuttering Ceasar. I wonder if Derrik would do a cameo?

Cheers!

Dan

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I read the book many years ago and loved it. I've read a couple Robert Graves things, very cool dude. In the 30's Charles Laughton did a film of it that was never completed. It was later released as "The Epic That Never Was". I've seen some clips, very interesting.
I liked the series, but the more I see of British actors portraying ancient Italians the more I just can't buy their whole teddibly teddibly British demeanor. Especially after having been married to a half Sicilian, lived in a very Italian neighborhood in Brooklyn, and traveled to Italy, not to mention read a lot about the era. The Roman Empire, as if it were actually the British Empire.
But it's a great story, and should/could make a good movie. It all depends on who does it.

Caroline

One of the Regulars
On the fence

Hmmm. I'm sure someone could make a great film, but I'm so in love with the series that it would really be a totally different animal for me. The actors from the series are intertwined with my mental processes now. I often (yes, scary) flash on Olivia yelling about how "Rome will never be a Republic" at work and Caligula gasping "DONT...go in there!" Oh well I'll try and keep an open mind!lol

Rachael

A-List Customer
we fondly refer to the recent adaptation of Pride and Prejudice as the "cliff notes version". Not that I dislike the film, it's just better if one is in a hurry or hasn't seen the miniseries first. I would imagine this will hold true for I,Claudius.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust