Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many of you guys ordered from the Aero sale?

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the reply! Mine might be more seeing it is badalassi so I am not sure if I might do that for another 100lb. I like the default j106 back and not sure if the upcharge is worth it for me. Alright gotta think about it..
The Badalassi is an additional upcharge, and fairly steep at +120 GBP. It's great leather, can't go wrong with it. It's a matter of preference, but to me I don't think it's any better than CXLSH. They're different, but one isn't better than the other. And I love CXL Steer, and it's no additional cost, so that's what I went with.

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
I ordered a Rockafella in black goat for £616.26.
New price £1170.

I would never buy an aero at this price point.
That's what a fully customised field leather jacket cost me.
That depends on which country you are ordering from. For example, from Europe the Rockafella will cost you 975 gbp + local VAT, whereas the Field Leathers will cost you at least 1300 gbp + local VAT. So there is still a small difference.

Why do they even show the "base" price as just selecting Horsehide CXL as a leather type, which I thought was ought to be the default choice, immediately adds 60 GBP to the total? What do I even get if I just buy a jacket at a base price?

I've just customized a Half-belt to what I recall being once its default setup and the total somehow reached 1200 GBP!

These prices aren't right.

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
Why do they even show the "base" price as just selecting Horsehide CXL as a leather type, which I thought was ought to be the default choice, immediately adds 60 GBP to the total? What do I even get if I just buy a jacket at a base price?
Goat, CXL steer, Jerky and the other no name mid weights.

BloodEagle

A-List Customer
Which model?
I think the Premier Highwayman has gone from 750 to 900. I wouldn't have noticed 600 to 900 yet.
You always have to check whether the UK prices or the Rest-Of-The-World prices are displayed. That's a difference of 20% because the UK VAT is deducted.
This was the 'Type III Jean Jacket - Unlined Cow Suede' - I could have got it for about £520 a couple of days ago. This is all UK prices (where I am based)

cl206

New in Town
z
The Badalassi is an additional upcharge, and fairly steep at +120 GBP. It's great leather, can't go wrong with it. It's a matter of preference, but to me I don't think it's any better than CXLSH. They're different, but one isn't better than the other. And I love CXL Steer, and it's no additional cost, so that's what I went with.
Fair enough. I wanted the badalassi for the veg tanned leather and the chestnut color. Hopefully it is as fantastic as everyone says!

Guppy

I'll Lock Up

I've just customized a Half-belt to what I recall being once its default setup and the total somehow reached 1200 GBP!

These prices aren't right.
My order, sale price: 788.75 today: 1,087.50. (+100 for the KOTR customization, which I can't specify in their order form, 20 888.75 vs 1187.50). Difference: 298.75 (33.6%). I guess I got a good deal, then! Almost $400 USD off.

Togs

New in Town
This forum is driving up Aero prices!

More seriously, this increase is commensurate with peers in the space (e.g. LL, RMC). Curious to see what Greg/FL, Thedi and others do over the coming months/years.

Those of you who ordered from the sale came away with more than a 15% savings.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I ordered a Rockafella in black goat for £616.26.
New price £1170.

I would never buy an aero at this price point.
That's what a fully customised field leather jacket cost me.
I just configured a Rockafella in Badalassi with lochcarron lining and one inside pocket. Price ex VAT is £1175.

IMG_3759.jpeg

Shipping to Europe used to be £30, not sure what it is today but let's assume it's still £30. That would make it £1205 total. Importing it into the EU adds another 30% which means £1567 all in. That's €1840 (ignoring the currency conversion fee which actually adds another 2%).

A Thedi jacket in Badalassi costs €1750 +€50 shipping = €1800

Which means Aero is now more expensive than Thedi.

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
Two years ago, I paid 800 gbp for my PHWM with Badalassi. Today, the same jacket would cost 1000 gbp. The "low" price increase is due to the fact that the surcharge for Badalassi then as now is 100 gbp and therefore "only" the 200 gbp surcharge on the jacket is significant. But I still think it's pretty steep.
Shipping was 27.50 gbp two years ago, now 30 gbp

Buick

Familiar Face
I’ve ordered a King Of The Road, in tumbled CXL with Locharron lining. Have wanted one for quite a while, but they don't seem to come up second hand much. the 15% off sale was too good an opportunity to miss.

I do think the subsequent increases seem reasonable, from the perspective of having also been a UK resident in business here. Since Brexit and then the pandemic, many of my own costs have literally trebled and have stayed high even when the ‘supply chain issues’ etc have all evidently been resolved.

Nobody likes paying higher prices, but Aero seem to treat their customers well and have been around for long enough that they really know what they are doing. Plus, they allow customisation, with quality materials and with local crafts-people employed to do the work. I’d rather see them increase their prices to allow them to continue doing so, than to go under - and that could realistically be the choice they face.

LukeST

New in Town
I’ve ordered a King Of The Road, in tumbled CXL with Locharron lining. Have wanted one for quite a while, but they don't seem to come up second hand much. the 15% off sale was too good an opportunity to miss.

I do think the subsequent increases seem reasonable, from the perspective of having also been a UK resident in business here. Since Brexit and then the pandemic, many of my own costs have literally trebled and have stayed high even when the ‘supply chain issues’ etc have all evidently been resolved.

Nobody likes paying higher prices, but Aero seem to treat their customers well and have been around for long enough that they really know what they are doing. Plus, they allow customisation, with quality materials and with local crafts-people employed to do the work. I’d rather see them increase their prices to allow them to continue doing so, than to go under - and that could realistically be the choice they face.
For sure no-one wants them to go under. (Prior to this uplift their prices had probably gone up around 20% across the previous two years, again like many other places).

I just think they missed the mark here. They sent an email round about the sale, thanking loyal customers for their support. Would it have been that hard to include in the same mail that cost pressures were forcing them to increase their prices immediately after the sale period? (Given the increases seem to range from 30 to 50% in size).

Last edited:

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
Hi folks,

Just dropping a post to explain the reasons for our pricing restructure.

For many years, we’ve worked exceptionally hard to keep our prices as accessible as possible, even as the costs of materials, labour, and operations have continued to rise. We’ve always charged what we think is fair, not what we can get away with. However, as a company that prides itself on uncompromising quality, we reached a point where maintaining our previous pricing structure was no longer sustainable without sacrificing the very elements that make our jackets exceptional – elements that we refuse to make our jackets and run our business without.

Guided by that same philosophy, we’ve done our best to limit price increases over the last few years when prices have sky-rocketed around us and this has made this adjustment larger than it would have been had we spread this out more evenly like many of our competitors have (which was a costly mistake on our part).

From our research, the average ballpark base price of our competitors is now around the £1,250-£1,300 mark (some exceedingly higher) with relatively high customisation upcharges (or limited options). Also notably, most of our UK counterparts don’t remove UK sales tax from their prices for international purchases while we have and still do. At the same time, we were still maintaining an average base price point of around £750 ex VAT with comparatively low customisation upcharges. Our material, wage and overheads costs are at least the same and in many cases exceed those of other manufacturers in our market, as is the case with the quality of our final product… and yet we have been selling our jackets at a price point around 40% lower than the average for our market.

Even after our recent price adjustment, we remain amongst the most accessibly priced within our market - our average base price ex VAT is now £825-£925. Some styles are more depending on their manufacturing complexity, but the majority of our popular styles fall within that bracket.

Regarding the Chromexcel Horsehide surcharge, horsehide and especially that of the quality needed for Chromexcel which is carefully graded and selected and only skins of a certain quality make the grade for Chrxl,skins that don't make the grade are used for other Horween products. Horween have been working very hard to secure a regular supply of raw hides but by its nature it is far rarer and more difficult to manage than any of our other leathers and the new surcharge is to cover the higher costs we absorb in sourcing/managing it. We also face increasing costs in importing from the US.
Chromexcel Steerhide is still available as a default with no upcharge as its much more readily available and easy for us to manage.

We hope this explains why this price increase has been higher than we’ve done in previous years and explains that this isn’t a greedy cash grab, it’s an absolutely necessary adjustment to align our prices with our costs and continue to sustain our business. It isn’t an exaggeration to say that the level of price difference and subsequent direction we were headed was no longer viable and we really have done our best to maintain the accessible price point that we’re so proud to have offered our customers for so many years.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I get it, but find it really sad that a quality leather jacket, once a staple of a blue collar worker, has now become accessible only to well-to-do.

But I guess it goes hand-in-hand with starter homes no longer being accessible to the young, and even groceries being too expensive.

Not good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1