Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How long did it take to get your Montecristi?

sonorlite

New in Town
I have had a hat on order from Panamabob for 4 months. Is this the normal turnaround time?

I ordered in January expecting to get in time for summer wear but I am getting worried since this will go to Art Fawcett for blocking and I need to factor in his time as well.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Instant gratification

If you want to have your Montecristi Blocked ready
look for Panamahatsecuador on the e-bay> they have now a fine US blocked Optimo on sale. I did snap such a baby in March 2008.
It was some 10 days between clicking and its arrival to Hungary.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
sonorlite said:
I have had a hat on order from Panamabob for 4 months. Is this the normal turnaround time?

I ordered in January expecting to get in time for summer wear but I am getting worried since this will go to Art Fawcett for blocking and I need to factor in his time as well.

Mine didn't take that long, but Bob's always got some sort of trouble with his supply line. I know that he may seem a bit short sometimes, probably due to the relative (brother in law, I think it was) who doesn't always get things right. Also remember that, if you're having the hat blocked in the US, Art or Gus might be pretty busy.

Be patient. When you get the hat, you'll see that the wait was worth it.
If you feel you've waited too long, I believe that Bob is always willing to offer a refund.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Last year I had to wait several months for mine. But once I got it--wow! I love it. Just hang in there, but you might consider grabbing a lower end one for immediate wear and as a knockabout later.

Fast, good, cheap--pick two. With Robert you get (very) good and cheap, not fast.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Don't forget to factor that some of the large sizes take longer, if you are a larger size. I am a 61 so I believe he had to have mine started as there none stocked at the time I ordered.:)

sonorlite

New in Town
I have asked for a refund but Bob told me he won't give me back my money until he finds a buyer for my hat.

If anyone is interested in a size 61 $299 variety please let me or Bob know so I can get my money back.

flylot74

One of the Regulars
I'd hang tough for a while if I were you. Actually, I am hanging tough myself. I ordered on back in November and have been told it is now stateside. My intuition tells me that it will be well worth the wait.....

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
This is what I said.
>> I'll be able to resell it as soon as it comes in...probably next week. I'll
>> issue the refund then. I would do it now, but I've already paid the weaver
>> and for the shipping. In fact, I've done all of the leg work and am simply
>> waiting patiently.
>>
>>
>>
>> Look for a refund in a week or two.

This is another reason why I'm pretty sure we'll give up custom hats and focus on being a service to supply stateside while in Ecuador. I'm thinking about being solely a service, so that at least I get paid for the phone calls, leg work, weaver, etc. when Visa and MC issue chargebacks to me. I'm just being honest with the buyers; if you are impatient and can't wait...don't! We're going to be over 4,000 hats soon this year and the 40 or so hats that are slow or get busted up tend to be aired in public. I really wish Ecuadorians cared about the clock and calendar as much as I do...but they never will. I also wish that they wouldn't sell the hats I've paid for to others, but they always will.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
I think Panama Bob has been very clear at his website, and in the ordering process online - where you have to check a box indicating that you understand this could take a while, an undetermined time due to circumstances beyond his control. I know it is tough waiting and totally understand that too, but there are ready-made options if that is paramount.

We live in a strange and wonderful time where instant gratification is the norm! But I still like the incomparable products of hand-craftsmanship. I had to wait a year and a half for the wooden flute I currently play, and the waiting period for the same maker is now closer to 3 years - his are short and other comparable makers are in excess of 6 years. Needless to say I don't let it out of sight.

- Bill

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you can wait for Robert to get your hat, I can assure you that you will not be disappointed, especially with a hat of the $299 variety. I bought a Montecristi from him and waited a while and then returned it because I ordered it too big and waited a while again. I also bought a less expensive Cuenca from him through ebay and had it within little more than a week. Both of the hats are quite nice, and if I buy another Panama (which I am likely to do), it will be bought from Panama Bob too.

By the way, the Montecristi is now with Art Fawcett to be reblocked and fitted with a new ribbon. I figure I have a good looking Cuenca to wear now (see avatar) and when I get the Montecristi back from Art I will have an Art Fawcett blocked Montecristi to wear for a good long time after that.

The Outlaw Kyle

One of the Regulars
See this thread for my story. Does it take a long time? Yes. Are there problems sometimes? Yes. But you are getting so much hat for the money, that is the trade off. You can have it right, now, or cheap. Pick two. Mine took about, oh, 6 months on and off from the first hat I got to the final version. But, I got it, and I got a really nice hat for the money.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Panamabob said:
This is what I said.

This is another reason why I'm pretty sure we'll give up custom hats and focus on being a service to supply stateside while in Ecuador. I'm thinking about being solely a service, so that at least I get paid for the phone calls, leg work, weaver, etc. when Visa and MC issue chargebacks to me. I'm just being honest with the buyers; if you are impatient and can't wait...don't! We're going to be over 4,000 hats soon this year and the 40 or so hats that are slow or get busted up tend to be aired in public. I really wish Ecuadorians cared about the clock and calendar as much as I do...but they never will. I also wish that they wouldn't sell the hats I've paid for to others, but they always will.

Robert, I hate to see it come to that. That being said, I fully understand your feelings as many times working with the public is trying at best. There seems to be a growing subculture that feels they are owed Tiffany value at a Walmart price supplied at McDonald's speed. I am sure that I am not alone when I say how much I appreciate all that you have done.

RBH

Bartender
Bud-n-Texas said:
Robert, I hate to see it come to that. That being said, I fully understand your feelings as many times working with the public is trying at best. There seems to be a growing subculture that feels they are owed Tiffany value at a Walmart price supplied at McDonald's speed. I am sure that I am not alone when I say how much I appreciate all that you have done.
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Mark G

A-List Customer
I ordered mine in early October and Robert informed me that he just got the hat in last week and sent it to Art for finishing, YIPPEE! Would I have liked it sooner, sure, but it's not an assembly line product and I'm not going to die if it takes a little longer to get. I deal in a hand made product myself and life sometimes throws you a curve ball, and I say this as someone who produces that product, Robert doesn't.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I sympathize, empathize, and apologize, but I get wiped out emotionally each and every year over a small portion of the custom side. Believe me, I can make money and donate more by focusing on the cheapies that are stamped out in Cuenca, but I don't want the Montecristi industry to die a slow death at the hands of one greedy SOB.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Bud you are not alone

I am only missing that darn time travel machine that could take me back to 2003-2004 or so when superfine hats were to be had here at the Lounge for 200-300 dollars outside the season.

Once the world gets again the taste for the finest summer hat and re-learns to call it and demand it by the proper name than I think Woodfluter's waiting list times will come true. :(

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millionaire there are 95000 ultra-high-net-worth individuals worldwide - those who reside in households with a net worth or wealth of $30 million or more and some 9,5 million who live in households with over 1 million USD.

And those were only the millionaires...

Definitely more potential clients than Montecristi.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
HungaryTom said:
Once the world gets again the taste for the finest summer hat and re-learns to call it and demand it by the proper name than I think Woodfluter's waiting list times will come true. :(

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millionaire there are 95000 ultra-high-net-worth individuals worldwide -///
Definitely more potential clients than Montecristi.

Good points...but on the other hand, if more begin to appreciate this fine, hand-made item, perhaps more younger people in the Ecuadoran towns and villages will begin to find the manufacture of this traditional product a viable alternative to leaving to find work in other countries. And the larger volume will level out the price increase over time. Maybe!
- Bill

univibe88

One Too Many
sonorlite said:
I have asked for a refund but Bob told me he won't give me back my money until he finds a buyer for my hat.

If anyone is interested in a size 61 $299 variety please let me or Bob know so I can get my money back.

Sit tight grasshopper. You'll be glad you did. What will you do with your $299 once you get it back? Buy a 500 wpsi Monticristi from somebody else? Um, probably not.

Get one of Bob's Cuencas for short money from ebay if you need a summertime hat to hold you over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe