Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you clean pig skin ?

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
Hello

I have a cap made of pig skin leather
I was wondering what to use to clean the inside liner (for the sweat) and the leather outside.
Any recommandation ?
Thank you very much

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Hello

I have a cap made of pig skin leather
I was wondering what to use to clean the inside liner (for the sweat) and the leather outside.
Any recommandation ?
Thank you very much
The mischief in me, when I read your post, was to think: Rub it with an apple. Apple sauce and pork being a culinary delight. Forgive me. Milandro is probably right. In the past my wife had a top known as a wrap, that was made of deer skin, (no more puns, thank you.) That was a very soft leather and it cleaned up beautifully with saddle soap. It was called Lettro Leather Soap, if you are interested I have found that it is still sold. Just put Lettro followed by Amazon into your search box.

RickP

Practically Family
A good saddle soap should clean, and dry without darkening or leaving dark spots... Just give everything an even coat. Work the soap into a foam with warm water and gently work it in. once dried, a horsehair brush or felt sponge can restore the original finish texture. On Pigskin or really fine suede Id be careful with any oily or waxy leather treatments. Most are intended for smooth finished leathers like sweatbands. Pigskin, particularly of a light color can darken with most leather treatments. If you want to be safe, cruise ebay and buy something used and cheap in pigskin to try it on first.

For a sweatbands and smooth leathers , I like Pecards leather treatment

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1