Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Do the Cuffs Close on a Non-Zipped Sleeve Highwayman?

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
There's a 38 Aero on ebay that I'm not going to bid on, but I was curious. I emailed the seller and asked if if was a "motorcycle" jacket and how did the sleeves close and the guy mailed back "Yes" and "Elastic?" I think I would want a jacket with zippered sleeves or some kind of old-fashioned strap or something. So how do the cuffs close on a non-zippered sleeve Highwayman and is it a motorcycle jacket?

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
The Highwayman is not really a motorcycle jacket, but saying that it could be worn as has the look of an old British or American jacket.
The cuffs do not open or close, it is basically a normal sleeve tube with a slanted leather patch on the outer part of the cuff. The elastic the seller mentions is inside the cuff, normally described as a storm cuff. These are similar to the knit/elastic that you get on other types of jacket such as an A2 G1, or Letterman jacket except they are sewn inside the arm at the wrist.
This cuff is very effective in normal street wear keeping out the breeze but may not really be suited to motorcycling.
Look on Aero's website, they have motorcycle jackets but these are not like modern jackets so have no hard protection at elbows or shoulders.
John(long time Aero wearer and motorcyclist):)

Edward

Bartender
To the best of my knowledge, the Highwayman is a recreation of a jacket very popular among the ton-up boys and other rocker motorcyclists of the latter Fifties and later. It' a cracking jacket, but no, not by any means similar to a contemporary motorcycle jacket. Personally, if I was riding while I'd be prepared to compromise on the full on modern safety gear so as not to look like a Power Ranger, I'd probably go looking for something neater fitting than the Highwayman just in case of a spill.

FWIW, of all my Aeros, the Highwayman is the only one I have with the storm cuffs. They certainly work well at keeping out the chill.

Edward

Bartender
Highwayman cuffs as compared to A2 cuffs is like comparing bellybuttons - innies and outies respectively. FWIW, I remembered I have some photos online of my Highwayman, bought new just a couple of months ago. The jacket front, exterior - note the cuffs:

427118_10150586879487260_555787259_9470415_2013326958_n.jpg

Photo taken looking down into the sleeve, end-on, showing the storm cuffs:

428595_10150586897167260_555787259_9470433_989667041_n.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
There's a 38 Aero on ebay that I'm not going to bid on, but I was curious. I emailed the seller and asked if if was a "motorcycle" jacket and how did the sleeves close and the guy mailed back "Yes" and "Elastic?" I think I would want a jacket with zippered sleeves or some kind of old-fashioned strap or something. So how do the cuffs close on a non-zippered sleeve Highwayman and is it a motorcycle jacket?

Considering where you live, the Highwayman may not be your best choice for a MC jacket. With the storm cuffs in the sleeve, you would not have the open cuffs to allow the flow of cooling air when the temps rise into the 70s. I would look for a MC jacket with zippered cuffs so they can be opened wide when the temps rise.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Thanks everybody. That last pic really says it all. I had to go on a healthy diet, have lost some weight, and when I level off I'm planning to buy a nicely fitted jacket for riding, etc. Currently I'm leaning Aero Rocker maybe, but I'm not ready to wait a really long time like the nine months I've heard about on this board. I emailed Aero and they said the current wait time is three months. That seems reasonable.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
To the best of my knowledge, the Highwayman is a recreation of a jacket very popular among the ton-up boys and other rocker motorcyclists of the latter Fifties and later. It' a cracking jacket, but no, not by any means similar to a contemporary motorcycle jacket. Personally, if I was riding while I'd be prepared to compromise on the full on modern safety gear so as not to look like a Power Ranger, I'd probably go looking for something neater fitting than the Highwayman just in case of a spill.

FWIW, of all my Aeros, the Highwayman is the only one I have with the storm cuffs. They certainly work well at keeping out the chill.

Oi! Us Power Rangers need that protection when riding our Hayabusa's at hyperspeed and the like:D.
The fashion goes with the bike, When riding my ploddy old BSA A65 I have an Eastman Luftwaffe jacket with zip pockets, an open face 1966 skid lid and some stadium goggles I bought in 1977. I can get an armoured vest under an oversize A2 I have as well.
Johnny Tee

Peacoat

Bartender
If you want a fitted MC jacket, take a look at Johnson Leather a bit to the North of you in SF. They supply many area police and sheriff departments with duty MC jackets. The wait time right now is about one month. They are closely fitted, and if you need a custom fit, they will do that as well.

Their standard weight cowhide is 3.5 oz., which, for me, is a bit light for a dedicated MC jacket. I have one of their 3.5 oz. jackets I got for street wear. I liked it so much, that I ordered another one in a heavy cowhide and a size larger so I could layer under it for riding. It will be a dedicated MC jacket as it is a heavy hide.

They are easy to deal with, do quality work and the hang time isn't bad this time of year. Allen is the one I deal with. He is a partner and very knowledgeable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82