Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home is where you hang your hat...

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Where & how do you folks hang your hats at home? Do you go for the hat rack or the wall mounted hat hangers? What is your preference and why?

I'm starting to get a fairly expanded clooection going and would like to see some hat holders to show them off with. Either free standing hat racks or wall mounted hat holders. I'm looking for something that I could make from wood and maybe purchase a fancy looking hat hook or holder.

I've seen a few in the past that had sort of a mushroom like head on them so as not to distort the crown and hold it at a nice display angle. I've also seen the ones that look like a big horseshoe and you place the hat upsidedown in it and they usually have about three of these holders per rack.

Thanks in advance for any input and photos you have my friends, it is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Dan

ufguy11

One of the Regulars
I am about to purchase some hat hooks to put up in the front entrance to my house. I'm going with the mushroom head hooks because I think that it does best for the hat.

J.J.

Baggers

Practically Family
When I saw the title of this thread, the first thought I had was "gee, he's quoting Prof. Emilio Lizardo, John Lithgow's character in Buckaroo Banzai", but then I snapped back from the 8th dimension and realized that couldn't be right. (pretty obscure reference, huh gang?)

I've got two hat racks, a wall mounted one with three hooks that's by the back door and doesn't get much use. Then I have a full size tree by the front door on which I hang my seasonal daily wearers and which also holds my walking sticks. When cooler weather eventually arrives, I'll also start hanging a leather jacket or two on it.

I prefer the tree because I have more room to hang stuff, and it's not hidden back in the kitchen where I can't admire the collection while relaxing in the living room.

Cheers!

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have one of those racks for ties with pegs that expands like a scissors, but it only holds about three to four hats without putting one on top of another.

Twitch

Unfortunately, I have no hat rack and no logical plce for one in my house that wouldn't look out of place. Keep some of them in boxes and up in the closet where space is available.[huh]

Daisy Buchanan

We don't have hat racks in our home for all of Hemingway's hats. But, I really like the look of the old style hat rack in which you hang your hat upside down.
If Hemingway wanted to, I would hang his hats on hooks on one of the walls in his room. I think that they are all lovely, and this is a cool way to display them. Also, if your entranceway is large enough, a hat rack is always a nice site when you first open the door to your home. Something warm about it.

Feraud

Bartender
I use a freestanding wooden coat rack for my hats. It holds 4 hats, shoulder bag, and other minor accessories. Extra hats are in hatboxes in a closet.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I have a wall mounted mirror with four hat hooks that works well, but the collection is growing and I would loke to be able to display more of them in stead of setting them on the dresser or letting them languish in a box at the back of the closet.;)

Now I've seen ones like this.
Single.gif

And most of the time you see this variety.
AH00073.jpg
AH00512.jpg

But I'm thinking of something like this but made of wood.
48115F.jpg

There was a thread at one time in 'hats' and somebody posted a picture of their wall mounted hat holder. It was wood with a disk shaped base with holes in it. But I'll be a monkeys uncle if I can figure out what thread it was in. I thought it was pretty keen and wanted to make a copy of the design. I don't think the thread was about hanging ones hat but the images got posted.
Again thanks for any help.

J.J.: Where do you find the mushroom head hooks? I've seen a bunch of the cheap one that they have in retail hat stores but nothing substantial.

Cheers!

Dan

havershaw

Practically Family
I have a big old brass coat/hat tree that was once in the Wells Fargo office in San Francisco. I ran across it by chance - it had been "donated" to a Salvation Army that was closed, so it was just sitting in the parking lot. I slid $40 under the door and absconded with the hat rack/tree...
...which is where I've kept my favorite 4-6 hats for the past three years. But this year, we've moved into a new (1922) house, and we only have a window air-conditioner, which means we have to use a lot of fans. This results in any hats I leave on the coat rack being costed in dust and cat hair in two or three days if I don't clean them or wear them. So until summer is over, the hats have all been relegated to boxes. I, too, enjoy the homey-ness of a hat rack just inside the front door. I keep a modern (Peters Bros) hat on there for charm's sake. But I still have to clean it once a week or it's a sad sight.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Baggers said:
When I saw the title of this thread, the first thought I had was "gee, he's quoting Prof. Emilio Lizardo, John Lithgow's character in Buckaroo Banzai", but then I snapped back from the 8th dimension and realized that couldn't be right. (pretty obscure reference, huh gang?)

Not for this Blue Blaze Irregular! ;)

Back at the topic, I'm planning a refit of my study in a month or so, and have decided to go with a row of display heads on top of the bookshelves. It strikes me as mildly fun, and I can line them up on my desk and pretend I'm the Emperor Cartagia when I'm bored. (My turn for the obscure reference!)

Steve

Practically Family
I have a set of double-pronged hooks affixed to the one wall of my room where I hang my fedora and other favorite hats. Looks quite nice.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Let's see, where do I hang my hats...on the dresser, on my wife's dresser, on the TV, on the TV cabinet, on the ottoman, in the mailsorter, in the fridge, on the cat, on the other cat...

And you think I'm joking!

ideaguy

One Too Many
Daniel: The first fixture you show, the one with the horseshoe shaped wooden
gizmo on top & hook beneath-how about measuring the avg. ht. of ea.hat
while in the holder,upside-down, obviously, mark it (assume we're using a piece of wood 48"L x 3"W x 1/2" thick), and mount one holder; if you know the avg. ht.,simply mount the next holder beneath the 1st-working from top down;
keep on going until you run out of room, then on to next 48" piece, do the same, and after you do 3 or 4, make either triangles (like billiard racks) or sq.
pieces, give everything lotsa room to extract hats, put the vertical members
together with the internal structure, figure a way to run a rod up the middle
that will end up in mushroom-shaped base that allows whole gizmo to rotate
and voila! or voyla, if yr. from here. seems to be a way to max. # of hats in
smallest amt. of space,allowing breathing room, see-ability, and test of will vs.
the laws of physics. any thoughts, anyone else??[huh]

S

Samsa

I started a similar thread a while back, which received a good number of replies:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=9046

I usually leave the ones I currently wear (either a panama or a boater) sitting on a table or chair. (I don't have a hat rack.) If it's not lying around on a table or chair, it's in a hat box in my closet.

Dav3

New in Town
Sorry to top this thread off the second page. I just sort of saw something that some people might be interested in, and it made me think of this thread. I was looking around for a standing coat rack, and I saw this thing at Ikea. It almost seems to be made for Fedoras

22975_PE089667_S4.jpg

LEKSVIK

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Interesting, very interesting. I'll have to look at the Ikea web site and check out the dimensions. Looks like this would be good for a mud room to hang coats on and put ones lid up top. By the way Dav3, welcome to the Lounge.:eusa_clap

Now, there was a home made hat hanger that someone had posted here a few months back that showed a wooden sort of hook with a disk on the end of it. The disk had a series of holes drilled in it, I suppose to reduce weight and to add air flow. If anybody remembers this picture I sure would like to see it again. Thanks for the contributions folks, they have been greatly appreciated.:)

Cheers!

Dan

Dixon Cannon

Still on that same old tripod....

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=9046&highlight=nikon+hat+tripod

"I come in the door and I plop it down on top of an old Nikon SLR that sits on a tripod in the corner. It helps me forget that I'm not using the camera as much as I'd like and the hat looks great on display. It looks perfectly natural. -dixon cannon" ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe