Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg no more

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Inspired by several discussions in the archives regarding both Homburg to Fedora conversions & the lack of wide brimmed, high crowned black hats I have attempted a transformation.

I must admit, had this seller said this
fe_11.jpg
was a Homburg I would've passed it by... I guess the lack of a straight-on view might've been a clue... but I missed it.
00_11.jpg

So when it came I realized that this was an unworn Mallory
DSC_0104.jpg
of very high quality
DSC_0101.jpg
that fit like a glove.

Only the box was Richmond Bros. the hat was out of Chicago
DSC_0105.jpg

DSC_0102-1.jpg

...not being a Homburg type of guy, I set about trying to coax this into something I would put on my head, after all, I reasoned, I can always send it to a pro if (when) I bollocks it up, eh?

DSC_0095-1.jpg

It has a 3" brim, bound, of course, unfortunately there is about twice the binding on the underside of the brim than the top, but I can live with that...in a black hat
DSC_0094.jpg

The (unblocked) crown measures a staggering 7 inches :eek:

Visigoth

A-List Customer
I was thinking that a good method might be to soak the brim, lay it down flat, and pile heavy stuff all around to flatten it out... I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take out all of the curl, once it dried, but a fair bit. What do the professional hatters here think? (Apart from the obvious answer, which is to send it to them -- sending a hat from Mexico generally costs more than the hat itself.)

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I flattened a Homburg but getting the curl completely out and redistributing the brim tension, without removing it completely was tough.
This is where having the right brim flage would be helpful.

The brim break is not as distinct as it could be, so the Fedora effect is somewhat lacking.

B
T

Rick Blaine

THANKS FOR ALL THE FEEDBACK, GENTS!

... very gratifying... I think, for me, converting Homburgs is more viable than attempting to covert most cowboy/western hats... more supple felt, too.

Visigoth said:
I was thinking that a good method might be to soak the brim, lay it down flat, and pile heavy stuff all around to flatten it out... I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take out all of the curl, once it dried, but a fair bit. What do the professional hatters here think? (Apart from the obvious answer, which is to send it to them -- sending a hat from Mexico generally costs more than the hat itself.)

I didn't do anything nearly as sophisticated... bear in mind at the time I was frustrated by the fact this WASN'T a fedora, as I had been lead to believe... so I just forced the rolled brim over back to the point at which I judged the appropriate fedora brim break would be and applied a hot steamy clothes iron, worked it with heat, steam & pressure (and the edge of the ironing board) and hoped for the best...

Rick Blaine

serious business...

Sefton said:
You did a fine job with that hat. A hat to be worn for some serious business...:eusa_clap

Yeah, like circumcisions, weddings, funerals & the high holy days... lol
Seriously though, ya' gotta admit, it looks somewhat Rabbinical ...oy!:p

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
Homburg/Fedora conversion

Thought I would post the results of my attemt to convert a Homburg to a Fedora.

I think its a success!

Before:
BrownHomburg.jpg

After:
BrnF2.jpg

After much struggle with the bound edge including steaming and using my new hat flange I had to remove the ribbon in order to get the felt to conform to the fedora shape. No biggie to have a new one sewn on. There is only a slight tell-tale sign that one was there in the firast place. Almost all the stitching holes filled in while working the felt.

Shot of underside:
BrnF1.jpg

It's a little Indiana Jones but what the heck, I've wanted to be Indy since I was 18 yrs old anyhow.

This has turned out to be a very nice hat. Needs a little more steam work but I'm pretty happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally