Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Yourself Why Don't You? :rolleyes:

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
fatwoul said:
I've noticed something of a personal boundary in the couple of months since I've started wearing hats.

When I go into a shop, I tend to take my hat off. I know this isn't required, and a lot of you don't do that unless it's a small family shop, but I just got into the habit of doing so, and its stuck, so unless I am forced to put it back on because I am picking up loads of stuff, my hat stays in my hand. When I arrive at a counter to be served, I usually set the hat crown down on said counter.

Three times since I have started doing this, shop assistants have said "nice hat" or whatever, picked up the hat and tried it on. They have been complimentary about it, but they haven't asked if it's OK. I haven't said anything, because I don't want to be "that guy", but it kinda bugs me. If I took my jacket off, I wouldn't expect someone to just try it on, but because it's a hat, somehow it seems to be different in people's minds.

Another reason I haven't objected is because it has always been accompanied by a compliment, and I am as keen as the rest of you to encourage the wearing of hats.

I just don't really fancy the idea of getting headlice of someone just because they didn't have any manners.

OK, grumble over. But am I alone? Has anybody else experienced this?

You 'fix' by asking -them- if they sell lice shampoo.... lol

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
This has happened to me, and I've seen it happen to others. Yet, I only see it happen with hats (specifically, full brimmed hats, not caps). However, when I'm with other hat wearers, it never happens without asking.

I find it rude and distressing to have strangers just grab my hat and try it on, but I try to comfort myself by thinking that it's a manifestation of mankind's deep-rooted genetic instinct to wear nice hats. A small sign of hope that one day civilized man may make a comeback! lol Of course, if they had manners, that would also be a good sign. :eusa_doh:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Well, you don't want to be rude, or discourage them from trying a hat (just not your hat!), so you might just have to either leave it on when seated at a counter (which is an entirely correct thing to do), or make certain to always put it down out of reach of grabby people.

It's really a nervy thing to do. No different than snatching up a woman's purse and going through it.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Quote: "I just don't really fancy the idea of getting headlice of someone just because they didn't have any manners."

You just hit on one of the major factors in the demise of hat wearing in the U.S.. I remember being in high school in 1967. I casually mentioned to my friends that I was thinking about buying a real hat for the winter. One of the girls said, "Ooo, you don't want to get head lice, do you?" I replied that the danger was in wearing someone else's hat, not your own new one. Half the kids in that group argued that wearing any hat promoted the likelihood of head lice. That was evidently a common notion in the early 60's.

Thankfully, we have outlived that unscientific theory. However, they say urban legends never die.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
J.T.Marcus said:
Quote: "I just don't really fancy the idea of getting headlice of someone just because they didn't have any manners."

You just hit on one of the major factors in the demise of hat wearing in the U.S.. I remember being in high school in 1967. I casually mentioned to my friends that I was thinking about buying a real hat for the winter. One of the girls said, "Ooo, you don't want to get head lice, do you?" I replied that the danger was in wearing someone else's hat, not your own new one. Half the kids in that group argued that wearing any hat promoted the likelihood of head lice. That was evidently a common notion in the early 60's.

Thankfully, we have outlived that unscientific theory. However, they say urban legends never die.
maybe now hat wearers should tell people we don't want to get skin cancer by not wearing a hat!lol

S

Samsa

I had a waitress recently do this. I didn't mind at the time, but would likely be annoyed if cashiers started doing this. Then again, I leave my hat on when in line (unless it's a smaller shop and there's a lady waiting on me), so it's not usually an issue.

fatwoul

Practically Family
Thanks ladies and gents. Glad I'm not the only one for whom this proves irksome.

I think I'm going for the advice to leave my hat on in these situations from now on.

Samsa - The idea of cashiers manhandling my felts is even worse. They handle money all day, and we all know how grubby notes and coins are. The worst one so far was the guy at the petrol station. I mean, he works around petrol, diesel, radiator and wiper fluids all day. I don't want any of those things on my hats. :rage: lol

fatwoul

Practically Family
indycop said:
Haha !! He's also holding out on us with his new whippet!:rolleyes:

Snitch. ;)

Colby Jack said:
Fats is holding out?!:eek:
On us?:eek:
Well maybe he'll feel like sharing later:D

Yeah, it's getting a gentle stretching right now, and will need a little steam and a reshape before I'm ready to post.

You'll see it soon, rest assured. :D

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
fatwoul said:
Thanks ladies and gents. Glad I'm not the only one for whom this proves irksome.

I think I'm going for the advice to leave my hat on in these situations from now on.

Samsa - The idea of cashiers manhandling my felts is even worse. They handle money all day, and we all know how grubby notes and coins are. The worst one so far was the guy at the petrol station. I mean, he works around petrol, diesel, radiator and wiper fluids all day. I don't want any of those things on my hats. :rage: lol

You oughta move here then Fats...Our gas station attendants are to lazy to touch any of those harsh chemicals!:D...Heck we only have 2 states left that even require them to pump petrol!

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
I agree RBH...I just keep mine on...unless propriety requires my removing the hat. Besides, here in the south, people get away with wearing hats everywhere. I know a few that sleep in their ball caps.....:D lol

Jovan

Suspended
The reason is probably because they see it as a costume-y thing, and don't think twice that you'd get annoyed. Would they do the same with a pair of sunglasses? I doubt it. Ask that of them if anyone does it again.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I have tried my best to figure out why this kind of behavior seems to be such a no-brainer for so many people (grabbing other people's hats and putting them on, that is). To be kind, I think the reality is that people often wonder what they'd look like in a hat -- or what it would be like to wear one -- but they rarely, if ever, have the actual chance to try one on. So, a hat laying on the counter is fair game. In the Old West, anyone pulling such a move would be "toes up" in no time.

In any event, I am always acutely aware of where I leave my lid, and take pains to guard against the random curiousity of the hatless...:)

Cheers,
JtL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally