Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with identifying this RMC Double Riders

greenc

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone, hope you've all got a terrific weekend planned. I shared this in the "Ask A Question" chat, thought I'd open it to a wider audience to cover my bases.

This is for the RMC aficionados - does anyone know the reference of this RMC HD collaboration?

I saw one advertised in the Classifieds a while back being described as quite rare and initially only available in Japan - it was noted then as a Cycle Champ repro. If anyone can provide insight I'd appreciate it. I think the leather looks quite nice and the detachable mouton collar is a nice touch.

Looking forward to your thoughts, particularly on quality and fit - it looks fairly short, which I'm good with. Thank you in advance, speak soon.

As always, photos are extremely helpful - would love to see it on one of ya'll if you have it. Enjoy the long weekend and Happy Labor Day if you're in North America.

Chris

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-29 at 10.44.14 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-29 at 10.44.14 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot 2024-08-29 at 10.44.32 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-29 at 10.44.32 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot 2024-08-29 at 10.44.57 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-29 at 10.44.57 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 33

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
RMCNZ HD.jpg

These jackets were made in The Few factory in New Zealand around the late 1990s to early 2000s, under the HD license.
The main difference between the RMC NZ jackets and the later RMC JP jackets is the leather used, and of course the pattern has updated as well. Personally I prefer the RMC JP Shinki over the RMC NZ horsehide, but pattern wise I prefer the older ones as I wear my shirts tucked in and the updated patterns are designed for the untucked shirt customers. For example RMC NZ A2 vs RMC JP A2, the NZ one is shorter and the JP one is longer, See how the JP shinki drapes different than the NZ horsehide (which is very similar to the thick and rigid stuff from the earlier Rainbow Country jackets)
A2 Jacket Comparison open.jpg

A2 Jacket Comparison front.jpg

A2 Jacket Comparison back.jpg

A2 Jacket Comparison side.jpg

I've been hunting these older RMC NZ (Harley and Buco) motorcycle jackets for a long time, but the sellers all wanted current JP pricings for them in the 44/46 sizing. They're worth it but current JP pricing is current JP pricing...

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Your last photo is great because you can also see in it how original RMC kept the proper full seam construction that you see in vintage jackets and makes for a stronger jacket. Not so with modern RMC.

cbez

One Too Many
Have you actually see jackets fail there though? Every seam explosion I've seen has been in the shoulder/pit area

greenc

One of the Regulars
View attachment 636277

These jackets were made in The Few factory in New Zealand around the late 1990s to early 2000s, under the HD license.
The main difference between the RMC NZ jackets and the later RMC JP jackets is the leather used, and of course the pattern has updated as well. Personally I prefer the RMC JP Shinki over the RMC NZ horsehide, but pattern wise I prefer the older ones as I wear my shirts tucked in and the updated patterns are designed for the untucked shirt customers. For example RMC NZ A2 vs RMC JP A2, the NZ one is shorter and the JP one is longer, See how the JP shinki drapes different than the NZ horsehide (which is very similar to the thick and rigid stuff from the earlier Rainbow Country jackets)
View attachment 636278
View attachment 636279
View attachment 636280
View attachment 636281

I've been hunting these older RMC NZ (Harley and Buco) motorcycle jackets for a long time, but the sellers all wanted current JP pricings for them in the 44/46 sizing. They're worth it but current JP pricing is current JP pricing...
Canuck, this is fabulous stuff, thank you so much! I like leather a bit on the stiffer side and the shorter length is also different from other pieces I own so this one may be something to consider.

Again, super nice of you and I really appreciate - the visuals add so much to the conversation around the leathers. Have a great weekend!

CG

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Canuck, this is fabulous stuff, thank you so much! I like leather a bit on the stiffer side and the shorter length is also different from other pieces I own so this one may be something to consider.

Again, super nice of you and I really appreciate - the visuals add so much to the conversation around the leathers. Have a great weekend!

CG
If you are comfortable buying them from Japan, and if the jackets fits, then there are lots of options on the used market.
https://jp.mercari.com/en/item/m60697684955
https://jp.mercari.com/en/item/m89907838278
https://jp.mercari.com/en/item/m92373659609

The Gorilla Store in Tokyo also carries some NOS jackets from this era, if you want brand new un worn ones they're there, but at a premium price bracket.
https://gorilla-tokyo.com/product/motorcycle/891

And this one from Mushmans
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k1136441386

greenc

One of the Regulars
If you are comfortable buying them from Japan, and if the jackets fits, then there are lots of options on the used market.
https://jp.mercari.com/en/item/m60697684955
https://jp.mercari.com/en/item/m89907838278
https://jp.mercari.com/en/item/m92373659609

The Gorilla Store in Tokyo also carries some NOS jackets from this era, if you want brand new un worn ones they're there, but at a premium price bracket.
https://gorilla-tokyo.com/product/motorcycle/891

And this one from Mushmans
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k1136441386
Thank you again Canuck, I've purchased a few jackets off Buyee.jp so no worries there.

The reason I like the Cycle Champ I attached photos of is because I like the fact that the belt is removable. The asking price is about $1,300 CAD, which is about $975 USD at the moment, give or take.

I have no familiarity with the jacket so I don't know if that's a premium. From the ad you attached it looks like that version ranged from 135,000 Yen to 138,000 Yen, but I don't know what year that would have been from.

Basically at $1,300 CAD it's roughly full retail. That said, it looks like it's in unworn condition. What do you think?

CG

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Thank you again Canuck, I've purchased a few jackets off Buyee.jp so no worries there.

The reason I like the Cycle Champ I attached photos of is because I like the fact that the belt is removable. The asking price is about $1,300 CAD, which is about $975 USD at the moment, give or take.

I have no familiarity with the jacket so I don't know if that's a premium. From the ad you attached it looks like that version ranged from 135,000 Yen to 138,000 Yen, but I don't know what year that would have been from.

Basically at $1,300 CAD it's roughly full retail. That said, it looks like it's in unworn condition. What do you think?

CG
Yeah to be fair those were 1996 prices, from the very first Real Mccoys ordering catalogue. This year the RMC Buco J-24 is ¥330,000. Not as bad as Vancouver housing price increase but jackets prices doubled in the last twenty some years. If I recall the Harley/RMC/Momoa jacket was over USD $2k. I just like complaining about how expensive things have gotten because they have gotten really expensive…
IMG_3129.jpeg

And remember that they tweaked the sizing at least once or twice before the brand handover and all the way until the Few closed its doors a few years later. So the original catalogue sizing may not be the same as later dates.
IMG_3130.jpeg

If you’re buying from Gorilla make sure you ask for photos of tape to the jacket measurement. Without that I would advise not to buy. Also ask about the zipper condition, it’s best they can send a video to show how well/bad the main zip operates. My NOS Talon failure rate is about 3 out of ten jackets and I bet if I wore them more often at least half would fail. It’s another 150 for zipper replacement, I just see this as part of the package when it comes to NOS Talons. Some may have better luck, but my best guesstimate is that half would fail if worn daily. Something to keep in mind.

My best advise is to go for the like new condition but used jackets from private sellers, they‘re more in the ¥80,000 range and pops up every now and then. And save the big bucks for leathers tanned in this century to get the most outta it for daily wear.

greenc

One of the Regulars
Canuck, just wanted to say thank you again for the links, I really appreciate you being so generous as to search those for me.

I've got a few pieces in mind, even though they're different styles and manufacturers - I'm interested in a Double Riders from either RMC or ELMC (Roadstar) and then either a Psycho J100 or a Diamondbuck J100.

I'm a size 36 so anything with approximately 43cm shoulders and 50cm chest will work. I like jackets to fit more on the snug side and if the sleeves are slightly short that's better than slightly long for me.

The Cycle Champ is one to consider for sure. Thank you again.

CG

cbez

One Too Many
I haven't been super impressed with the used examples I've seen on online. They're nice but I feel like RMC hit its stride later on. A lot of times the topcoats wear in a kind of unattractive way, at least to me.

greenc

One of the Regulars
I haven't been super impressed with the used examples I've seen on online. They're nice but I feel like RMC hit its stride later on. A lot of times the topcoats wear in a kind of unattractive way, at least to me.
Canuck and Cbez, thank you for your responses.

Canuck, I live in Toronto and while I don't think it's quite as bad here as Vancouver it's still bananas how much things cost - this city was crushed by Covid and in the aftermath the prices went through the roof and never came down.

There was a house down the street from me that sold for $700,000 over asking - it was madness. There was such a frenzy to buy property that people were purchasing homes online without ever seeing them in person prior to. Banks were doing 100% mortgages without home inspections - the norm became agents showed a house on Thursday and accepted multiple offers (all over asking) on Tuesdays. If you came with any kind of conditions you weren't even in the game.

People were snapping up anything they could get their hands on. Meanwhile, others were remodelling to the point that contractors here were quoting two year wait lists to get work done. An eight foot 2x4 at Home Depot went from $7 to $28. The world was upside down.

Now, real estate has cooled a bit, but even I'm tired of hearing me complain about the price of blueberries, gasoline, insurance, and the internet.

Instead, I just look at jackets, and make paintings, and dream of retiring in a small Italian town. One of these days.

Meantime, thank you again, you've been terrific and I sincerely appreciate it - such great information. Enjoy the weekend.

CG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1