Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HELP with Fieldcraft Fedora Please

Snooker

New in Town
Hello Hatters -
I wanted to know if anyone knows about this hat.
Its a dark brown fur/felt fedora. Its made by Marshall Fields of Chicago hat company, Fieldcraft, but everytime I google that, I get a bunch of military and snipper info. I cannot find anything out about it. It was my husband's grandpa's and it was just given to us. We are curious to know the aproximate age and any tiriva about this brand as its a cool and fun thing to have now.
If anyone has any info, we would be most appreciative.
Thanks!
Dan & Shelley

nulty

One of the Regulars
Are you sure Fieldcraft isn't the model name of the hat and not the maker?..you mention Marshall Fields made the hat.....

Marshall Fields is most likely the chain store at which the hat was bought and not necessarily the manufacturer. They did sell all the major brands back in the day.

By the way Welcome to the Fedora Lounge Dan and Shelley. If anyone can help you it would eb some of the knowledgeable people here..

When you have enough posts (15?) you can post pictures. That and any other detail you can post about other names in the hat would be helpful....

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
It used to be common for stores to order popular goods which they could sell, at a discount, under their own house brand. A big reason for this was the "Fair Trade Law." Which required that certain brands had to be sold at the same price, BY EVERYBODY. However, a store could order that same product from the manufacturer, with their own house label, and sell it at a lower price (same item). For example, Sears sold Winchester shotguns under the "Ted Williams" brand, for about 25% less than Winchester (which they sold at the same price as everybody else). About this time, Stetson hats were $10 per "X." Penneys had their "Towncraft." house brand. "Fieldcraft" sounds like Marshall Fields' house brand. Who made it? Probably a more expensive well known brand.

Snooker

New in Town
Fieldcraft Fedora Help

Hello and thanks for your replies.
We cant find any info on this hat. All it says inside is Fieldcraft, Marshall Fields and Company, Chicago and the size, color and style tag. Its very frustrating as my husband is the last grown man in his family, so we dont have more points of reference to pass this on to our son someday.
I will keep the photo idea in mind and thank you for your ideas and warm welcomes! I have no idea this was such a big society - its awesome!

funneman

Practically Family
Welcome to the lounge.

Always good to have fellow Floridians on board.

I think you will find a very honorable crowd here, with a wealth of hat
knowledge that all are more than happy to share.

I think Nulty is on to something. Once you post a couple of pics of that
hat on this forum I'm sure you'll have all the info you need to know about it.

Now, let's talk about a Florida Fedora Lounge event!

leprechaun

New in Town
I have a similar hat. By the Union Tag on mine, it seems to be a Hatco product made in Garland Texas. Mine is a center crease with a 1 3/4" stingy brim and has a 2" ribbon. The color is listed as "British" and can be described as a very dark brown. When I post enough, I'll put some pictures up.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Welcome to the Lounge, leprechaun.

As far as I know, there's no minimum number of posts that you have to have before you can post pictures, only for private messaging. Pics would definitely help in identifying your hat.

leprechaun

New in Town
Thanks for the welcome, but I believe there is a 5 post minimum to post photos/attachments. I wasn't necessarily trying to identify my hat, but it would be interesting to know. My hat is nearly identical to bolthead's hat posted here in the Cavanagh Club.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
There are some Marshall Field's label MacLachlan hats. The sweatband on these have what looks like two ventilated perforated sections towards the front.
3880101351_298d4a135b_o.jpg

Spats McGee

One Too Many
leprechaun said:
Thanks for the welcome, but I believe there is a 5 post minimum to post photos/attachments. I wasn't necessarily trying to identify my hat, but it would be interesting to know. My hat is nearly identical to bolthead's hat posted here in the Cavanagh Club.
You may be right. I've actually seen several members make comments recently about not having enough posts to post pictures, but I don't ever recall seeing that in the FAQ. I've also seen a new member comment that he'd been able to post pics from day one. Regardless, even if there is a minimum, 5 won't take long to reach.

leprechaun

New in Town
Sorry... didn't realize I was digging up a 2 year-old thread.

No ventilated, perforated patches. Also, the liner and sweatband are black.

I misspoke on the brim, as it is indicated as a 1 2/4. The model is "Bryant". The hat was certainly made in Garland (and by Hatco) by the United Hatters Cap and Millinery Union Local #129 tag, but I can't be sure of the year.

It sparked my curiosity in a local Goodwill and was unworn, in my size, and a nice color. Being the only hat in the store, it decided to accompany me home for the princely sum of $19.99, original box included. The original price is listed on the inside label as $20, so I figured I probably did okay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust