Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

drewgarcia618

New in Town
I recently picked up a hat block that’s designed to make hats in my size, as I would like to attempt making a hat. However I know nothing about it or what any of the writing (other than size and measurements) may mean. Any help with identifying or understanding would be greatly appreciated! Also, a best guess on style would be great… I think it’s a #52 but I haven’t a clue.

Here are some pictures of it!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
So, looks like the finished crown height is 5 1/4".

Just guessing, but going by the "Belle" and "Chapeaux," chances are this is a millinery block for women's hats.

Also, when you say "in my size," you're aware you need a block that is one size up from the intended finished size/head measurement, yes?

I recently picked up a hat block that’s designed to make hats in my size, as I would like to attempt making a hat. However I know nothing about it or what any of the writing (other than size and measurements) may mean. Any help with identifying or understanding would be greatly appreciated! Also, a best guess on style would be great… I think it’s a #52 but I haven’t a clue.

Here are some pictures of it!
See Jlee's comments to start. As well, this block is likely a regular oval. Do you know your head shape? You could well be a long oval and a regular oval blocked hat will not feel right on your head. 5 1/4" is a very short block and will produce a very low crowned hat. If you want to make a fedora style you will also need a flange in the right size and dimensions.

drewgarcia618

New in Town
So, looks like the finished crown height is 5 1/4".

Just guessing, but going by the "Belle" and "Chapeaux," chances are this is a millinery block for women's hats.

Also, when you say "in my size," you're aware you need a block that is one size up from the intended finished size/head measurement, yes?
Yes, the finished hat would be about a 58 or 7 1/4 when a sweat band installed. I wear a 7 1/4 - 7 3/8, depending on the brand and shape (oval/long/more circular/etc). At the end of it all, I do have a hat jack I could use to stretch it if it ends up a touch too small. I’m not opposed to, and I actually like, the way the brim swoops up when I hat is stretched.
See Jlee's comments to start. As well, this block is likely a regular oval. Do you know your head shape? You could well be a long oval and a regular oval blocked hat will not feel right on your head. 5 1/4" is a very short block and will produce a very low crowned hat. If you want to make a fedora style you will also need a flange in the right size and dimensions.
Interesting, 5 1/4” doesn’t seem small. I’m very much used to western hats with crowns around this measurement. Also, yes. My head is an oval shape. I’ve worn long oval and regular oval hats and both have felt fine.

Last edited:
Yes, the finished hat would be about a 58 or 7 1/4 when a sweat band installed. I wear a 7 1/4 - 7 3/8, depending on the brand and shape (oval/long/more circular/etc). At the end of it all, I do have a hat jack I could use to stretch it if it ends up a touch too small. I’m not opposed to, and I actually like, the way the brim swoops up when I hat is stretched.

Interesting, 5 1/4” doesn’t seem small. I’m very much used to western hats with crowns around this measurement. Also, yes. My head is an oval shape. I’ve worn long oval and regular oval hats and both have felt fine.
5 1/4" is fine if you leave the crown open. 5 1/4" does not leave much felt to work with if you want to put a crease in the crown.

Gotcha. I can easily make a base of something it can sit on. Do you think 1/4” or 1/2” would be better?
Decide what style of crease you want to put in. Then decide the finished height of the crown: front, sides and rear. Then you can reverse engineer it. The deeper the crease the more felt you need. 1" for a shallow crease, 1 1/2" or more for a deep tear drop or a Gus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust