Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me date this B3

octopus_luke

Familiar Face
hey guys,

Just spotted this B3, which I like the look of a lot. It is dotted in amongst lots of cheap imitations, and shares the same cost (1100 Danish kroner - around $150). The leather is dry and not in the best of conditions, plus there's an elbow tear that would need to be stitched, but the shearling inner looks tip top. It's a size 50. I normally take a 38 chest in anything, but it doesn't look too shabby on - perhaps the sizing is not accurate?

Any ideas on the dating for this, and thoughts on whether it's a good buy?

Thanks,
Luke

Attachments

• IMG_3764.JPG
    IMG_3764.JPG
    587 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_3766.JPG
    IMG_3766.JPG
    546.6 KB · Views: 92

Stand By

One Too Many
It sounds as though you've tried it on and if it's not hanging off you, then the labelling sounds out, but really, if it fits, that's all that matters.
It has two hand-warmer pockets - not the usual one pouch, so it's a mall-version of B-3. I couldn't date it or say who makes it (Cockpit?) but the question you're asking is, is it a good buy?
It looks warm and if you're looking for a relatively inexpensive and warm coat to wear whilst you walk the dogs or work in a workshop or garage or ride a motorbike (assuming you'd prefer not to wear armour), I'd say sure, it's a good buy. And the hand warmer pockets you won't mind a bit!
But if you're wanting a B-3 that looks nicer and is more classic and accurate, I'd say save your money and put it towards something better - because if it's something you're talking yourself in to at this point, it doesn't take a trip to see Mystic Meg to get your tea leaves read to see that you'll be disappointed with it as time goes by and be selling it on in your future.

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
IMHO, if you paid less than 70 Euro, its a good buy...If you are looking for accuracy in reproduction of a WW2 B-3 jacket...not that good...
Trying to resell it will be a task and might end in a 100% write off or loss...IMHO.

octopus_luke

Familiar Face
Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback so far.

I really would not have considered going near it, if it wasn't for the sizing looking off. In theory - a 50 should swamp me. It came off looking like a 40 at best. Perhaps some weird bastardisation between EU and US sizing?

For this part of the world, it's a whole lot of coat for that kind of price. It's pretty fantastic feeling it up against what are very poor quality shearling liner imitations. The one thing holding me back is that the store doesn't offer any refunds or returns under any circumstances, and I was being forced out at closing time today. I'll go earlier tomorrow and see if I can really get a sense of the sizing.

In other news - does anyone have any advice on mending torn B3s? Anything one should pay particular attention to with the restitching? How about re-oiling the coat?

Thanks!
Luke

Siggmund

One of the Regulars
How long is the tear? Is the leather brittle and likely to tear again? Use a simple loop stitch with 2mm spacing using cotton-poly thread in the best matching color you can find. Let the stitching hold the leather, not pinch it, so that the mend doesn't raise the profile of the leather. For brittle leather... don't bother trying to repair it. For a long tear you might consider using a patch underneath, but this is tedious and may reveal the flaw in the jacket because it will cause a variation in how the leather lies. Also, to use a patch, you have to shave-off the shearling and glue the patch onto the hide to ensure a permanent bond. I use Barge Cement. It's a rubber cement used to glue soles onto shoes. The results aren't that great as it stiffens the leather quite a bit. For conditioning the leather I use Pecard's.

octopus_luke

Familiar Face
Thanks for such detailed advice, Siggmund. I would say that the leather actually is rather brittle. The whole is around 1.5 inches and bang-on the back of the elbow (a space that would naturally cause movement/any irritation on the stitching.

The leather certainly needs to supple up. I like the patina, but it feels like the leather has never been conditioned.

In sum, I guess I need to go back and try it again tomorrow. Perhaps I just got caught up with the fact that it was the first 100% shearling jacket I have tried on. Wow, what a feeling!

s4rmark

One of the Regulars
I would say that the size "50" would be euro size which would equate to a size 38 to 40 inch imperial size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HiredGun