Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Identifying - Common Jewish Hat from the early 20th Century

smarks15

New in Town
Hi all,

I wanted to know if anyone knew anything about the hats seen in the pictures below. They were quite common with Orthodox Jews prior to the 2nd World War and, within the community, seem to be remembered as being of Austrian origin (I have heard of one being produced by Huckle - Vien but cannot verify). Given that these differ from later Huckle-made Hasidic hats (and that later hasidic Huckel hats took inspiration from this mystery model), it is unclear whether the connection is genuine or just speculation based on the similarities. The oral tradition surrounding these hats within the Jewish community centers around the supposed Austrian origin of these hats. Apparently, they were popular in Austria around the turn of the century and, because of this, Jews who traveled to Israel would wear them in order to avoid persecution from Ottoman authorities; apparently, wearing popular Viennese attire would indicate you were an Austrian citizen, so police would avoid unnecessary confrontation in order to avoid international incident. Whether this is true or not, I do not know, but it's an interesting story regardless!

I have two requests with this post, first, does anyone know what style this would be called or if it was a specific make/model? Secondly, if anyone has seen any (or finds one available), let me know!

Interestingly, Orthodox Jews in this period were often dressing as respectably trendy as possible (compared to today when the clothing seems quite dated). The idea being that you wanted to demonstrate to others that, as an Orthodox Jew, your lifestyle and background were to be respected and seen as fashionable. This fits well with the story of Viennese fashion and is also why you see a lot of old photos of Orthodox and Hasidic Jews wearing fedoras, colorful suits, and, basically, a wide range of acceptable formal clothing of the time (often with less eye-catching colors).

Thanks for any help!
Sam

Old Hat.jpg
Rabbi Sonnenfeld.jpg

Jerusalem 2.png

Jerusalem.png

Hi all,

I wanted to know if anyone knew anything about the hats seen in the pictures below. They were quite common with Orthodox Jews prior to the 2nd World War and, within the community, seem to be remembered as being of Austrian origin (I have heard of one being produced by Huckle - Vien but cannot verify). Given that these differ from later Huckle-made Hasidic hats (and that later hasidic Huckel hats took inspiration from this mystery model), it is unclear whether the connection is genuine or just speculation based on the similarities. The oral tradition surrounding these hats within the Jewish community centers around the supposed Austrian origin of these hats. Apparently, they were popular in Austria around the turn of the century and, because of this, Jews who traveled to Israel would wear them in order to avoid persecution from Ottoman authorities; apparently, wearing popular Viennese attire would indicate you were an Austrian citizen, so police would avoid unnecessary confrontation in order to avoid international incident. Whether this is true or not, I do not know, but it's an interesting story regardless!

I have two requests with this post, first, does anyone know what style this would be called or if it was a specific make/model? Secondly, if anyone has seen any (or finds one available), let me know!

Interestingly, Orthodox Jews in this period were often dressing as respectably trendy as possible (compared to today when the clothing seems quite dated). The idea being that you wanted to demonstrate to others that, as an Orthodox Jew, your lifestyle and background were to be respected and seen as fashionable. This fits well with the story of Viennese fashion and is also why you see a lot of old photos of Orthodox and Hasidic Jews wearing fedoras, colorful suits, and, basically, a wide range of acceptable formal clothing of the time (often with less eye-catching colors).

Thanks for any help!
Sam

View attachment 637078 View attachment 637085
View attachment 637087
View attachment 637086
Maybe this article will help you:
https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/the-meaning-behind-of-different-jewish-hats/

I notice the hat is similar to some of those worn by Amish, which are fur felt, lower crown hats with bound brims.
You can find some of these type hats on Ebay or Etsy (used), there are also some Amish hat makers that sell similar hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1