Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help! I’m clueless!

DamselNDistress

New in Town
I’d like some suggestions from you experts. My husband is a singer/songwriter. He has gotten into this strange obsession with doo rags, which I am not very fond of. So my idea is to give him some other options with a collection of really cool 40s and 50s hats (he already has several good cowboy hats). His musical style is kind of country/folk/rock/big band. (how’s that for a combination!) Anyways, I see him in something like a Sinatra hat. I just purchased a brown Mallory homburg on Ebay (I think and hope it is a quality antique, rather than just vintage!). I’m a little confused about terms like snap-brim, stingy brim, etc, but I have gotten some ideas about good brands from this FAQ. Can any of you suggest some other styles that might be good? I just don’t want to end up with something that looks like a pimp hat! Your suggestions are appreciated.

Feraud

Bartender
Do not worry so much about the different terms but buy him something that looks nice! Brim length does not matter if the hat flatters a person.
Make sure he does not wear the do-rag under the hat. :)

RBH

Bartender
welcome to the Lounge DamselNDistress

I would suggest, till you find what style really suits him, to not start with too short of a brim. Most all people look fine with a med to wide brim in my opinion.
But if you arent suited to a stingy it is a look that does not work.
Good luck....

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Do-rag

doragmp2.png

If he's not too comfortable in a fedora type hat, a structured hat that may be too dramatic of a change right off....maybe a driving cap style? There are a lot of possibilities there, different fabrics, etc...and may feel more comfortable as a baby step away from Axle-dom. Point out that the singer for AC/DC wears one along those lines (if that will help!). I love that you're trying to steer him away from a fashion don't in a subtle way and give him some tasteful options! Ang

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
I'm Still Clue less

I was informed by my wife that they should be called Dont Rags. Anyway, the advice about a medium brim hat is pretty sound. 2 1/2 - 2 3/4. A reall good way to start is with a nice Panama, kinda break in slowly. Im discounting any need to be artistic and different.

DamselNDistress

New in Town
Thanks to all!

I appreciate all the suggestions. Luckily, my husband isn't afraid of hats--he has several cowboy hats, and heck, he even wore tights when he was a marathon rider (on a mule!). The doo rags are definately DON'TS. I think he will go for something stylish and a little flashy for performances. He does love the old 40s nd 50s movies.

The Duke

One of the Regulars
I agree with John a newsboy, ascot, or beret if he dosen't want to go for the fedora, and Welcome to the Lounge!

Pilgrim

One Too Many
If you want to get a hat for him - knowing he's a "hat guy - I'd say shoot for something with a 2" brim. That's an in-between size that looks good on just about anyone, but is neither stingy nor wide.

Universal colors that come in handy are dark grey, dark brown, and the always-popular tan.

BigSho

Vendor
Yeah a shorter brim might be better for a first time hat wearer because it is not as overbearing as some of the larger brim. I notice when a lto of people come in, musicians included, looking for their frist hat they tend to gravitate to pork pies because of their low profile and smaller brim. But if he is a cowboy hat wearer he might not be opposed to anything you get because of their already large dimentsions.

Jeremy
http://www.hats-plus.com

DamselNDistress

New in Town
Update!

Well, I need to join Ebay-Anonymous. In the past few weeks, I have bought 5 hats on Ebay and 1 from a vintage dealer. I've gotten 4 of the Ebay hats and I feel lucky so far. I bought 3 velour Sinatra-type, probably 70s. One is black, came in a Cavanagh hat box, but has a Johnny Carson label. I haven't been able to find any information about that brand. The other two are Stetson Sovreigns, one is brown with a kind of argyle hat band and the other is gray with a gray and blue feather hatband. I thought the gray one would be too pimpy looking, but it turned out to be the nicest of the three. The Stetsons both seem to be better hats. I paid $20-30 dollars for them.My husband loves all of them and thinks they will be a great rockabilly-honkytonk look, without looking country. (He's got enough cowboy hats!). Then, the fourth hat I got is the winner. I paid $19.35 for a brown Mallory Homburg. The seller said it was great-grandpa's hat from 1920 or 30. It has a price in the band of $11.95. I think it really is that old (probably 30s) and it looks new. My husband was really excited about that one--he said it has a pencil roll edge, which he said is hard to find these days. He must know more about hats than I realized! Anyway, all is happy in my household and I'm expecting diamonds soon! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken