Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have any of your sports interest revived in recent years?

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
At school and college I played Rugby and avidly followed the game. Since then, although I remained vaguely interested, I concentrated on other interests, mainly the arts and outdoor pursuits such as hiking. Now, after several decades, I suddenly find that I am closely following everything Rugger-related - watching, reading, getting updates on my phone, etc. My friends have noticed this change and comment on it, but I can’t give them a clear explanation except that it is a healthy antidote to the rest of the news.

Have any of you had a similar experience of a sports interest from the past suddenly coming back?

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As a kid I loved „my“ football team Borussia Mönchengladbach (try to pronounce that…:)) and followed it best possible, travelled to matches…
Over the years I still followed them occasionally but most of the time with just half an eye.
After almost perishing from cancer some years ago I decided to become a club member and support the club best possible ever since then.

It’s been just the opposite for me. I still watch American football, because it is quite entertaining, but I’d imagine the gladiator games in ancient Rome were quite entertaining, too. So it’s something of a guilty pleasure, as the game itself risks the health of the players. Boxing is even worse, yet I find myself drawn to a televised match.

But I don’t closely follow any sport anymore. I can name but a few players active these days.

I used to be a baseball fan, and I kinda wish I still was, because there’s a greater romance in that game than most others. And I really dig ballparks and am something of a student of their history. (The best ones are almost entirely gone now, alas.) But the game itself doesn’t compel me the way it once did. It’s akin to love that has gone out of a marriage. I treasure the memories more than the present reality.

It’s been just the opposite for me. I still watch American football, because it is quite entertaining, but I’d imagine the gladiator games in ancient Rome were quite entertaining, too. So it’s something of a guilty pleasure, as the game itself risks the health of the players. Boxing is even worse, yet I find myself drawn to a televised match.

But I don’t closely follow any sport anymore. I can name but a few players active these days.

I used to be a baseball fan, and I kinda wish I still was, because there’s a greater romance in that game than most others. And I really dig ballparks and am something of a student of their history. (The best ones are almost entirely gone now, alas.) But the game itself doesn’t compel me the way it once did. It’s akin to love that has gone out of a marriage. I treasure the memories more than the present reality.
I have maintained my life long love of baseball. We have a High A team in Vancouver but I boycott them ever since they confiscated my bag of pistachios after frisking me on entry. In doing this they force you to buy their overpriced food.....2 beer, 2 hot dogs = $40.

Last year we travelled down to Seattle to watch the Blue Jays play the Mariners. Tickets $100 each, not great seats. The aspect that vexed me the most was the manufactured or forced 'excitement' over the PA system. The cacophony was horrid. I am old school and go to a game to watch the game.......not to have my senses assaulted.

I do watch the Jays on tv each day.....either the full games as I sew a hat or the wonderful 30 minute condensed view...."Jays in 30". ......a most efficient way to watch a ball game.....ever!

As a kid I loved „my“ football team Borussia Mönchengladbach (try to pronounce that…:)) and followed it best possible, travelled to matches…
Over the years I still followed them occasionally but most of the time with just half an eye.
After almost perishing from cancer some years ago I decided to become a club member and support the club best possible ever since then.
I saw Borussia M play here in the early 1980's. They were my favourite team for a while. But I don;t follow soccer much now, other than the Euros or the Mondiale.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
That’s a really great story and heartening as well. Thank you for sharing it. Borussia Mönchengladbach are a great team, by the way. 6th in Bundesliga currently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1