Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat band leather wrinkled and stiff

Naphtali

Practically Family
I have a hat I used to wear when hiking. It had been in "hidden storage" for several years. I want to wear it again but its leather band has some wrinkling and is stiff. I have a hat retainer-stretcher.

What to do about softening band's leather sufficiently to smooth wrinkles as band becomes softened?

I have a hat I used to wear when hiking. It had been in "hidden storage" for several years. I want to wear it again but its leather band has some wrinkling and is stiff. I have a hat retainer-stretcher.

What to do about softening band's leather sufficiently to smooth wrinkles as band becomes softened?
A good leather cleaner and then a conditioner to soften. Put the hat jack into the hat but just until it is taut not tight. If you attempt to stretch it in its dry state you risk tearing it. If it is a cheap hat/cheap leather (i.e. "genuine" or reconstituted leather) you may not be able to bring it back to life.

Reactions: RBH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jrichards1007