Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting the Shine Off

H.Johnson

One Too Many
It depends on the finish. Chrome tanned leather is usually dyed with polyacrylic dye - acetone will remove the shine if used gently - if used to strongly it will remove the dye!

Vegetable tanned leather often has aniline dye and a 'fatty' finish which will respond adequately to white spirit or turpentine.

Be gentle!

vintage68

Practically Family
Wanted to revive this thread in case anyone else has some tips for removing the shine from leather items. I'm looking for a dull or matte appearance, similar to what leather looks like after many years of use.

vintage68

Practically Family
Wear it for many years, or acquire one that already has been.

I've always been puzzled by these kind of responses. Do people think they're being helpful by stating the obvious, or are they just trying to raise their post count? It just seems to me that your post doesn't further the conversation about different distressing methods.

Some people such as myself prefer things to have more of a lived in appearance, like Indy Magnoli's Grail Diary that duplicates the look from the movie prop. Waiting many years for things to have a lived in, well loved appearance ignores the whole question.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Then, you might want to ask the bartenders to move this thread to the "Outerwear" area for leather advice.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe