Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting a '40s newspaperman-type flash camera

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Attn: Photobylan et al.

I am interested in procuring a 1940s style camera with a seperate flash - you know the type, the ones where the bulbs are used just the once.

The best thing about them is the "criiitch" crunching sound when the flash goes off.

I love that sound - they use it to great effect in "L.A. Confidential".

It would primarily be for a prop for the house, but I'd love if it were fully functional.

What should I be looking for in terms of make, model, etc.?

Think the photographers at the poolside at the opening sequence of "Sunset Boulevard", and you'll know what I'm looking for.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
There are some here that are better able to answer maybe,....

....but from my observations it seems that the Speed Graphic was one of the more popular cameras for news men. (Camera experts please correct me if I'm mistaken.) :rolleyes:

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Salv,

You hit the nail on the head. I wonder if I could score one on Ebay?

speed-graphic.jpg

db5zx

Familiar Face
Being a camera collector for exactly that era, I can tell you that you should definately look for a Graflex Speed Graphic. The Graflex that was manufactured in the 1940's was the Graflex Speed Graphic Anniversary Edition. The film size you want to look for is 4x5 inches. There are smaller ones 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 and 3 1/4 x 4 1/4, but those were rarely if ever used by the press.

You can find these cameras on eBay quite a bit, but they rarely come with a flash. The flash you want to look for is NOT the Graflex Graflite flash, these were made in the 50's and later. You could try to get a hold of an older Graflex flash, but these are the exact ones that George Lucas chose to make the Star Wars light sabers out of and they go for a s**tload of money. Most photographers back then didn't use the Graflex flash but used either the King Sol or the Heiland flash. Both can be had for a reasonable amount of money.

You should also check out www.graflex.org for more information.

Also, I do own two 1941 Speed Graphic Anniversary Edition (4x5 inch), one 1935 Pre-Anniversary Speed Graphic (3 1/4 x 4 1/4 inches) and a 1940's Graflex SLR, so don't hesitate to PM me if you need more info.

All of those cameras work more or less perfectly, and I can tell you from experience, you are noticed whereever you go with those to take a picture or two. And due to the large negative, these pictures are far superior to most of todays pictures.

Hope that helps you...
...Jens

Salv

One Too Many
There aren't any on ebay.co.uk at the moment but if you search ebay.com for 'graflex graphic camera' then click on the 'Vintage' category on the left there are a few. There's a wonderful looking 1955 Press kit with everything you could want - the camera itself, carrying case, flash, bulbs - but it has a starting bid of $249.99 and the seller only ships to the US.

Happy hunting.

PS Mr 'H' - I'm at work for a night shift, but what are you doing up this late?

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
That's fantastic information Jens. That's ever so helpful.

As I would be new t this, can you please tell me how much I should be spending, roughly? {(1) Camera and (2) Flash?}.

I'll bet you get noticed with it! Do you wear vintage when you have it out and about?

I know what you mean by the silky feeling of the black and white film:

Take this as an example (one of my favorites!):
plymoth95eg.jpg

Graflex Speed Graphics and changeable backs

They came in a couple of film sizes, and I understand some size film can be tougher to get than others. I do know that a few of the photographers have been able to adapt backs to their cameras to use Polaroid or other "Instant" films like Fuji and that seems like fun. I think those old Press Cameras are so cool. Here's an exchange with the gentlemen of the press from a famous movie:
"AH Let him roar, it makes a swell picture!"
"No wait he thinks you're hurting the girl!"
"Don't worry ladies and gentlemen, those chains are made out of chrome steel!"

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Salv said:
There aren't any on ebay.co.uk at the moment but if you search ebay.com for 'graflex graphic camera' then click on the 'Vintage' category on the left there are a few. There's a wonderful looking 1955 Press kit with everything you could want - the camera itself, carrying case, flash, bulbs - but it has a starting bid of $249.99 and the seller only ships to the US.

Happy hunting.

PS Mr 'H' - I'm at work for a night shift, but what are you doing up this late?

Salv,

Excellent info, as per usual!

I was just up late, 's'all!

BTW - what do you do? I never got around to asking you!

:cheers1:

db5zx

Familiar Face
Hi, Mr. H.,

glad I could help. As some people here pointed out, not all of the film sizes in use back in the days are still around. That goes especially for the 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 sheet film and the 620 roll film. Also, the so-called "film pack adapters" are no longer produced.

As I said in my other post, try to shoot for the 4x5 camera. That was the one used by most photographers back then. You can either get sheet film holder for that (which means changing the holder after each picture), try to get your hands on a 120 roll film back (which let's you shoot I think 12 6x6cm photos), or the Grafmatic film holder.

You have to watch out, the cameras of the 40's have the Graphic back, while the later cameras have the Graflok back. Those to are not interchangeable, what fits one doesn't fit the other.

For a Speed Graflex Anniversary Edition (the "Anny") in working condition, you probably can expect to pay around 150$ on eBay. A flash should cost you no more than 30 to 40. The film holders can go for quite a bit of money, so the best thing is to keep browsing until you find cheap ones.

Flash bulbs usually go for around 1$ per bulb, the bigger the lot is you buy, the cheaper you usually get them.

If you have more questions or would like me to send you some pictures of my collection, just PM me.

Jens

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Doh!

Response from sweetnetdeals
Item: Graflex Speed Graphic Press Camera Kit Flash 1955 WOW ! (7596419100)
This message was sent while the listing was active.
sweetnetdeals is the seller.

Sorry, we do not ship out of the country.
Respond to this question in My Messages.

:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

Salv

One Too Many
Off topic reply to Mr. 'H'...

Mr. 'H' said:
Salv,

BTW - what do you do? I never got around to asking you!

:cheers1:

Live system support in the airline industry. My company provides computer services to various airlines - reservations, departure control, cargo etc. - and since there's always someone flying somewhere in the world we need to provide 24 hour cover for the live systems in case of problems. So I've been asleep all day and I'm back at work now on a caffeine high :coffee: and I've got another night shift tomorrow, followed by a long weekend off.

As you were, gentlemen...

GearHead

One of the Regulars
You may want to check out graflex.org also.
A great source of info on the cameras.
I have a 1948 Speedgraphic and love it. I would try and get a 4x5 with a grafloc back.
4x5 sheet film is still readily available and if you get one with a grafloc back you can easily swap out 620 roll film adapters and polaroid adapters.
The crown graphics which where a later model in the early 50's are usualy more readily found with grafloc backs.
Mine doesn't have a grafloc back but is still pretty easy to use although I ony shoot 4x5 sheet film in the film holders.

Erick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally