Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Here is my newest, well its actually probably my oldest hat. I couldn't find much on the Philipp Neubauer name, but the felt feels really nice. Its stamped 1911! Its a very interesting hat in that its flanged like a homburg, but the brim is soft like a fedora.

Iyor, wonderful find, the Homburger. The Date looks like a 1941. But 1941 or 1911, is a really good looking Homburger.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
The new arrivals, Steve.

Iltis Homburger mid gray, very stiff felt and leather sweatband. Stamped with VEB Lederwerk 1949. No label inside.

iltis.jpg

iltis1.jpg

iltis2.jpg

iltis3.jpg

Manfred, Super! Is "VEB Lederwerk 1949" on the inside of the sweatband? That must be the leather supplier. I think Iltis must be the hat model name. It is definitely (VEB, sweatband, liner) from a East German maker. I think the Wegener Homburg is 1960s. By the way nice ribbon / bow work!

Last edited:

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Josh and Steve, thank you very much for the kind words. I really appreciate them.

The stamp is on the inside of the sweatband. VEB Lederwerk August Apfelbaum, the Name Iltis could be the felt. Iltis is an animal in Germany, polecat in Englisch.

I am sure it is just the model name of the hat. No brand hats (no manufacturer mark) with fancy model names were fairly common during that time period in Germany. This hat was from a East German source so probably very competitive price wise.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Custom made P. & C. Habig Wien Special Zefir with Ventilo, size 59cm. My guess is mid 1950s.

7306668274_3b33dccc71_b.jpg

Steve, fantastic Habig, a black beauty in my eyes, why I have not noticed him?
Very good Hat in slightly worn condition. My Congrats, Steve.
Fritz Reinhardt was the retailer of my two Echter Borsalinos. Both Hats are on the way.

Manfred, Thanks! It was a Buy It Now that I negotiated on the price. I have some hats from Frankfurt stores but not sure about Fritz Reinhardt. Looking forward to the details on your Borsalinos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken