Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

I would say the blocking, finish and the bow design to some degree. It's very subtle. This isn't a hat that you would see made by a American hat company. You also see it in some Borsalinos (other Italian & French companies) especially the German market (Echter) ones.

Last edited:
I haven't found any American hat companies mentioned in pre WWII German and Austrian hat trade publications. The import competition was England, France and Italy. Borsalino being the major outside player for soft felt hats. That pretty much remained the case after WWII. You start to see American influence in the mid to late 1950s with licencing deals (see Stetson, Resistol, ect) but the styles are mostly market specific.

Last edited:

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
New Hückel Foulard. One of the five from the package.
A light gray Hückel Foulard with green/gray ribbon. New. From the 50s. I think
mid 50s to 60s, Steve, you, know it better.

hckelfoul.jpg

hckelfoul1.jpg

hckelfoul2.jpg

hckelfoul3.jpg

hckelfoul4.jpg

hckelfoul5.jpg

Last edited:
yes it's right, Steve. The brim length at german Hats are most shorter. The back brim most high up.
It's much harder to find a wide brim Hat in germany.

Manfred, I think the soft felt brim lengths in general were wider in the late 1940s into 1950s but hats from that time period are hard to find. Most of the hats that are available are from the mid 1960s and later so mostly on the stingy side. It is almost impossible to find any soft felts from pre WWII. The green Hückel Foulard in my avatar is from that time period. By the way nice find with the latest Hückel Foulard!

Last edited:

Hoss & da Posse

One of the Regulars
I received my two new (to me) Huckels and all I can say is "Wow!" What an awesome hat...the felt is soft and supple without being too thin and floppy. The Green Chevreau is a new favorite...the color is fabulous. Kinda like Lays potato chips...you won't want just one! Here are some shots:
IMG_3032.jpg

IMG_3033.jpg

IMG_3034.jpg

IMG_3035.jpg

IMG_3037-1.jpg

And the Grey Special
IMG_3028.jpg

IMG_3029.jpg

IMG_3031.jpg

Hard to photo the grey color; it's closer to the first (dark) shot but not quite that dark. The flash washes out the grey a bit

Hoss, Thank you for posting them in this thread! Do they have the hanger strings at the rear of the sweat? There is a label on the string with "Hückel" on one side and the cm size on the other.

Hoss & da Posse

One of the Regulars
Hoss, Thank you for posting them in this thread! Do they have the hanger strings at the rear of the sweat? There is a label on the string with "Hückel" on one side and the cm size on the other.
I don't find anything that matches your description. It seems as though the previous owner did not like size tags because none of the hats have a traditional tag at the rear of the hat. These are shots of the Chevreau at the bow on the sweat:
IMG_3048.jpg

IMG_3047.jpg

Interesting! The Weilheim sweatbands from this time period normally have "Hückel" on them with the hanging string at the rear like this one (my similar Chevreau).

6283307849_020c32c12f_b.jpg

6283823946_d91944e460_b.jpg

6283913608_7fed5911b7_b.jpg

Maybe it's a customization or they are replacement sweats. Hückels from this time period don't have paper labels.

I also noticed the sweatband seam is not stitched which is normally the case.

Last edited:

Hoss & da Posse

One of the Regulars
The only imprint on the sweat is the "Derendorf Essen". It was also printed on the plastic insert that holds the pinch at the front of the hat. I assumed that it was a shop name but the English translation was "their village food" so I'm not sure what it means

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Jeff, thanks for the kind words. I appreciate them.

Great Hats Jeff, my congrats. The imprint Derendorf is the retailer shop, Essen a city in germany.
Maybe 50 km away from me.
It looks like special version retailer sweatbands. Very interesting.

Last edited:

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
New hats from the flea market today.
Three Homburger, two Mayser. One from 1950 the other from 1968. Last one a short-brimmed Rheinhut Homburger.
The condition on all are very good.

The Mayser 1968

mayserhomburg68.jpg

mayserhomburg681.jpg

mayserhomburg682.jpg

mayserhomburg683.jpg

Mayser 1950

mayserhomburg50.jpg

mayserhomburg501.jpg

mayserhomburg502.jpg

mayserhomburg503.jpg

mayserhomburg504.jpg