Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Bob, There isn't any stitching visible on the underside of the brim. I don't think I have seen anything like this before. It might be similar to how the sweatband was attached. It definitely creates a unique effect. From the auction photos I thought the welt edge had a saw tooth cut.

Last edited:

navarre

Vendor
I do like the interesting stitch patterns on welted edges. Here is one that looks similar on a Portis Supreme that Buler posted back in '08. Not sure how close it is, but you hat did remind me of it.

I have a machine that can emulate the pattern, but does not do it with a blind stitch. Meaning that the stitch is visible on the underside. Here is a recent one that was certainly modeled after the Portis

navarre

Vendor
I've flipped the stitch so that the straight stitch runs next to the welt edge not on to of it, as shown on your hat and Buler's Portis.

And a note too all, sorry for posting non german hats in this thread. They're only here for comparison.

The straight stitch on the Borsalino is more on the edge of the welt. It's not really visible with the brim in the normal up position like the diagonal stitching which is right at welt edge (from a distance with the brim in the normal up position the diagonal stitching gives the illusion that it's the welt edge). As I mention the brim will not stay snapped down which I believe is by design (not a snap brim hat). I will have to look at it closer.

19414294976_fe858fe4e9_k.jpg

Here are a couple larger photos.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/532/19414294976_fe858fe4e9_k.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/532/19414294976_9f3cae1c41_o.jpg

Last edited:

Scott Stevens

New in Town
Someone on this forum shared a link to a German brand which makes workwear clothing and flat caps. They have their own website but I can't recall what it is. One of their flat cap styles was called 'worker cap'. Does anyone have an idea? Sorry to be so vague but it was last year. Thanks in advance.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
news of the flea market hunter. Some finds from Düsseldorf last Sunday!

A nice old Rockel.
RockelFedora3.jpg

and a nice stingy Stetson, probably made by Mayser or Wegener from Hutkönig !
StetsonPlayer3.jpg

and a nice Dobbs Twenty, probably made under Licence from Mayser or Wegener!
DobbsTwenty3.jpg

more news in the Borsalino Brotherhood

Attachments

• RockelFedora3.jpg
    RockelFedora3.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 127
Manfred, Congrats on the Flea Market haul! I would guess Mayser made the Stetson. I am pretty sure Wegener made the Dobbs. I have seen that same sweatband cord on Wegeners. I really like the Rockel! Has a really nice form and is in great condition.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up

A hat creation from an old German no name brand with soiling lining that I removed.
Flat brim now with new shape and more dents as he needs! Some brandings with a torcher on the ribbon and as decoration a nice feather that I found on a dog walk.
My all day chill hat now!
b3aaff0fc44005451dfff6bd9d6073ab.jpg

035eeb5aaec7ab8d18432f1dbdd17441.jpg

3fe85f25be69d0eb0ed011236bb77f8a.jpg

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Last edited:

Roka

New in Town
Hutmacher?

T0BYBMq.jpg

nkO10eS.jpg

mpCuY8y.jpg

RTRZzQ1.jpg

Can anyone appraise/explain these hats to me? I recently acquired them and would like to see what they are worth.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up

Welcome here, Roka!
Worth? Not so much as you think! The first hat has the typical Alpine style in German Trachten Hut and is very often to find. Böhm is a really good Brand and I guess he is from the 60 maybe 70.
The Dobbs is intresting because he is made from leather but I think not so old maybe 80. But I am not an expert for Dobbs!
Worth? I pay on my fleamarket Trips max 5 Euro for a Trachten Hat.

Roka

New in Town
Welcome here, Roka!
Worth? Not so much as you think! The first hat has the typical Alpine style in German Trachten Hut and is very often to find. Böhm is a really good Brand and I guess he is from the 60 maybe 70.
The Dobbs is intresting because he is made from leather but I think not so old maybe 80. But I am not an expert for Dobbs!
Worth? I pay on my fleamarket Trips max 5 Euro for a Trachten Hat.

Thanks for your insight! I am at a total loss for this sort of stuff. I appreciate it.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Today, my trip to Bonn, to a big fleamarket was great. I found some treasures. Borsalino, Mayser Superbe and Möckel!
Borsalino in the Borsalino Brotherhood. You will like it Steve!
This Mayser Superbe is nearly new! Unworn. He has a little spot on the ribbon.

MayserSuperbeGrau8.jpg

MayserSuperbeGrau9.jpg

MayserSuperbeGrau10.jpg

The Möckel in very cood condition but without a line. I put some in!

Moeckel4.jpg

Attachments

• MayserSuperbeGrau8.jpg
    MayserSuperbeGrau8.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82