Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Found A-2 while vintage shopping NYC

gruvi

Familiar Face
Today I went to NYC with family and a friend and in unexpected fashion, I discovered a vintage shop that had some really nice leather jackets from the 30s to the 60s. Some great jackets and I will strive to become a regular there.When I first walked in I spied mouton collars on the rack and upon close inspection, I saw they were civilian types from JC Penney's and such stores.I was flipping through all the hanging jackets, avoiding dwelling on everyone with handwarmers, just looking for those with cargo pockets only.Then I saw and ended up buying this -

IMG_20120401_195941.jpg

IMG_20120401_195546.jpg

IMG_20120401_195420.jpg

IMG_20120401_195746.jpg

IMG_20120401_195819.jpg

I posted more over at VLJ.

The seller said he was told by two very knowledgeable collectors this is a cowhide jacket. I wasnt aware there was a way to tell the difference from horse and wasnt aware that the genuine rough wears came in cow or steer for the 1401-P.Now I just need to decide what to do with it. Would you get the lining that is falling apart, partially replaced, or switch out the whole lining altogether? I didnt buy this for displaying, as I have no museum here, and no one that visits asks to see my jacket collection. What should I do? And in the meantime would it be wise to Pecard the thing? Back panel looks and feels sandy (looks like it has sparkles in the leather) but I dont want to ruin it for the next person that may be interested to have it after me. Any advice is greatly waited for!*
Thank you, Gerard

Good find. They're getting harder to find in vintage shops. Myself, I would just wear it as is. but I realise I can deal with more rips, stains and funk than many others.

I'm not certain, but it looks as though the back panel may be suffering from "red rot". So far as I can tell, this is pretty much irremediable.

bk

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
Great find. If it was mine I'd feed the leather with a light application of Pecards, can't see that doing anything but good however others here may know more. I've owned lots of original leather jackets and they have always benefited from some help.

With the lining I'd try wearing it and see how it goes. If the fragile area is only at the neck I'd go for a "field repair" patch of similar material before a full relining job.

Noticed the maker tag and coat hook are off centre. Does anyone know if this is that common on original jackets?

gruvi

Familiar Face
Rude to ask, I know, but just out of interest, how much did you pay for the jacket? Just interested to know what a NY vintage shop would charge for an issued A2 these days.

bk
Im not one to discuss prices. Nothing rare these days come cheap in the retail world, do they? :)

gruvi

Familiar Face
Great find. If it was mine I'd feed the leather with a light application of Pecards, can't see that doing anything but good however others here may know more. I've owned lots of original leather jackets and they have always benefited from some help.

With the lining I'd try wearing it and see how it goes. If the fragile area is only at the neck I'd go for a "field repair" patch of similar material before a full relining job.

Noticed the maker tag and coat hook are off centre. Does anyone know if this is that common on original jackets?
If you notice the lining there is torn. Its making the label off center since its no longer intact. Im still befuddled on what the leather is made of, its so soft. Im thinking, did horse come thin in these originally or could it be cow? There is too much smooth large ungrained areas to say its goat.

Well it is proven that A2s were made of horse and goat. Many original A2 jackets used thin hide. It has been speculated that possibly steer was also used..but has never been proven.
If the hide doesn't have some pebbly grain..I would bet it is Horsehide.
HD

gruvi

Familiar Face
Well it is proven that A2s were made of horse and goat. Many original A2 jackets used thin hide. It has been speculated that possibly steer was also used..but has never been proven.
If the hide doesn't have some pebbly grain..I would bet it is Horsehide.
HD
Parts do have some pebbled grain, and some parts, striated veiny grain, and the majority overall is flat and smooth.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I'm not certain, but it looks as though the back panel may be suffering from "red rot". So far as I can tell, this is pretty much irremediable.bk

A would be a shame if this is the case as the Baron is correct about the prognosis. However, on the plus side you'd have a desirable feature (in the Crown zip) that would recoup some money.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
If you notice the lining there is torn. Its making the label off center since its no longer intact.

No, the asymmetry is more than simply a case of torn lining - if you look at the rear shot (collar stand and hanger stitching) the positioning is very clear.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Yes, certainly common. Quality control, though not terrible, was less than tight. Especially for such minor features. they weren't fashion pieces, after all!

bk

Having said that, I've owned four original Perry Sportswear A-2s (and seen a number of others in both horsehide and goat) with an offset hanger, just like this Roughwear. I too thought that this was simply a QC issue, but the odds were stacking (in the case of the Perrys), although I can't explain why this would be employed.

Well, now i'm going to have to check my issued A2s for offset hangers when I get back to London. ;)

I see the Perry on Acme depot also has a wonky hanger, as do some, but not all, of the Rough Wears.

Having said that, I've owned four original Perry Sportswear A-2s (and seen a number of others in both horsehide and goat) with an offset hanger, just like this Roughwear. I too thought that this was simply a QC issue, but the odds were stacking (in the case of the Perrys), although I can't explain why this would be employed.

Last edited:

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Up to now, the Perry Sportswear contracts have been the only ones that I've seen with offset hangers - the Roughwear is a new one on me!

gruvi

Familiar Face
Gentleman, please, stop trying to make a red rot rumor on this jacket. The leather on it is not otherwise abnormal, nor flaking, nothing indicates leather diseases so please, no more prognosis wanted, okay? This jacket isnt dying anytime soon :)

gruvi

Familiar Face
You started it Buddy! ;)

Listen, I know and anyone with half a brain knows, the internet is an abused substance and people take liberties they wouldnt in person with others (unless they have a true mental illness), but how old are you? Ever hear the popular phrase of "if you cant say something nice"...?
Its evident you are being passive aggressive and I dont enjoy how you are coming at this thread with your negative waves. I am being sincere and open so please don't abuse any role you are allowed here, okay? Thanks.

Feraud

Bartender
gruvi, I suggest you take a step back and a deep breath. Bear in mind you posted the jacket asking what to do about it and provided the information that members are drawing conclusions from.
Don't take it too badly if others are giving opinions you disagree with.

gruvi

Familiar Face
gruvi, I suggest you take a step back and a deep breath. Bear in mind you posted the jacket asking what to do about it and provided the information that members are drawing conclusions from.
Don't take it too badly if others are giving opinions you disagree with.
Excuse me. When I joined it was fun to read this forum. Now in recent past I see a boatload of passive aggressive replies to many threads as if the emotional maturity level dropped off the map, and bartenders that pipe up to protect this behavior doesnt make it lessen. There is a difference between getting positive mature feedback, and smarmy or negative laced "opinions".
If the expectation of coming here for education is not to receive fun, enlightening positive input, then so be it and I will go back to just reading and not posting anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe