Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear to go with our jackets

IrishStu

One of the Regulars
New Red Wing Blacksmiths.
IMG_20240716_094624.jpg

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
After making a big mistake a couple of years ago selling my grail horsebutt Clinch Jodhpur boots (I still don't know why I made this...) I always thought that I will never be able to get these in my size again and decided to buy the black Engineer boots. As I finally found the Jodhpur in a shop in my size I decided to sell my black Engineer boots (and Motor Japan Engineer boots) and buy the Jodhpurs which I will receive latest next Tuesday :) I can't be happier than now to get my real grail boot!

1721215212632.jpeg

1721215231814.jpeg

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Thanks a lot! That’s exactly the kind of intel I had been looking for.

After my most recent trip to London, I have found a new desire to dress more „British“ once in a while. I don’t really mind the quality of the current boots for very occasional wear, but higher sense of quality always translates into more fun for me personally.
I quite like the looks of the red „made in England“ 1460 boots, so I guess I will give them a try now…

So here they are.

In terms of Dr. Martens I do like them. They seem reasonably well made, and the leather is noticeably thicker and more „spongy“ than the standard boots.
The whole packaging including a little booklet about how they are handmade in Northamptonshire is nice and emphasises the notion of „something special“.

The boots seem to run ca. half a number smaller than the standard line, which is potentially due to using thicker leather on the standard last. The standard boots fit me a hair big, so I am ok with this, but a hint to this in the online size calculator would sure be helpful.

Have only tried them, not worn them, so judgement is reserved. The boots go for EUR 270 vs. EUR 200 for the standard models which seem appropriate in terms of cost of labour in the UK alone.

IMG_9372.jpeg

Drzdave58

One of the Regulars
So here they are.

In terms of Dr. Martens I do like them. They seem reasonably well made, and the leather is noticeably thicker and more „spongy“ than the standard boots.
The whole packaging including a little booklet about how they are handmade in Northamptonshire is nice and emphasises the notion of „something special“.

The boots seem to run ca. half a number smaller than the standard line, which is potentially due to using thicker leather on the standard last. The standard boots fit me a hair big, so I am ok with this, but a hint to this in the online size calculator would sure be helpful.

Have only tried them, not worn them, so judgement is reserved. The boots go for EUR 270 vs. EUR 200 for the standard models which seem appropriate in terms of cost of labour in the UK alone.

View attachment 627825
Nice boots! I've had a few pairs of DM's and always found them to be very comfortable.

Observe

One Too Many
So here they are.

View attachment 627825
Have you ever looked into Solovair? My understanding is they're similar to DM but apparently overall better construction, materials, etc. Haven't had experience with Solovair myself; had a canvas pair of DMs years ago (think similar to high-top Chucks but look like a pair of DMs) but got rid of them as they didn't match my style.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Have you ever looked into Solovair? My understanding is they're similar to DM but apparently overall better construction, materials, etc. Haven't had experience with Solovair myself; had a canvas pair of DMs years ago (think similar to high-top Chucks but look like a pair of DMs) but got rid of them as they didn't match my style.
I own two pairs of Solovair's. Exactly the same materials and construction quality as the (made in England) DM's I had in the early-mid 90's.
I cannot comment on the modern made in England DM's as I have never handled any. Ten years ago my girlfriend got a pair of standard DM's, made in Vietnam or China, I really don't remember. Much worse compared to both the Solovair's and my DM's from the 90's.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Nice boots! I've had a few pairs of DM's and always found them to be very comfortable.

Thank you. I have always had one or two pairs of Docs since I was a student in London in the 90s (at that time poor as a mouse in a church and really frustrated how they would only last me some 15 months before the leather would crack at the toebox).

I never had a pair „Made in England“ though, and it seemed like a nice way to elevate my game.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab

I have not, although I have heard a lot of positive things. Mostly compared to modern day DMs.
I have to admit, I buy DMs as a brand/image thing, and in part to buy back my student days, so I really don’t mind the quality that much…

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I own two pairs of Solovair's. Exactly the same materials and construction quality as the (made in England) DM's I had in the early-mid 90's.
I cannot comment on the modern made in England DM's as I have never handled any. Ten years ago my girlfriend got a pair of standard DM's, made in Vietnam or China, I really don't remember. Much worse compared to both the Solovair's and my DM's from the 90's.

Hmm, I started buying DMs ca. 1994 and was not at all impressed with the quality.
I had them (always the glossy black 8-hole-boots) as my „only boots“ and the leather would reliably crack and tear after 12-18 months. Always a financial nightmare, as I had a budget of exactly GBP 5 per day after rent and tuition fees.
My parents once gifted me a pair in brown pull-up leather for Christmas once, and they were much more resilient. Not quite the „real-deal for me, though…

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Hmm, I started buying DMs ca. 1994 and was not at all impressed with the quality.
I had them (always the glossy black 8-hole-boots) as my „only boots“ and the leather would reliably crack and tear after 12-18 months. Always a financial nightmare, as I had a budget of exactly GBP 5 per day after rent and tuition fees.
My parents once gifted me a pair in brown pull-up leather for Christmas once, and they were much more resilient. Not quite the „real-deal for me, though…
I also had the brown pull up leather version.
When I started wearing DM's (a year earlier than you) I was impressed by them. Because the only other shoe I had worn were all-stars and hi-top Nike's.
Obviously you cannot compare any DM (MIE or not) or Solovair with Tricker's!

Observe

One Too Many
When I started wearing DM's (a year earlier than you) I was impressed by them. Because the only other shoe I had worn were all-stars and hi-top Nike's.
Trickers are absolute tanks. Put my Burfords through their paces and they held up incredibly well. Sadly I had to part ways with my Trickers as I came to realize that none of their lasts worked well for my feet.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Trickers are absolute tanks. Put my Burfords through their paces and they held up incredibly well. Sadly I had to part ways with my Trickers as I came to realize that none of their lasts worked well for my feet.
yeah, Tricker's are really sturdy boots. The only brand that I have used that is sturdier (seriously built as tanks and totally indestructible) is William Lennon.
20210928_181352.jpeg

NZJono

One of the Regulars
I’ve got or had 3-4 pairs of MIE docs and several pairs of Trickers. I think the DMs hold up well to Trickers in terms of fit and finish, and are very comfortable for walking around all day if needed. Certainly Trickers have got thicker leather but overall I can’t complain about Made in England docs. I posted a couple of photos a few weeks ago of a couple of pairs.

KBlake

One Too Many
John Lofgren Engineers 1 week update. Have been wearing these pretty solidly all week - putting them on has got easier, and the natural CXL has all over got a lot more pliable, with some nice patina in the works. The picture doesnt really show it too well but hey've darkened I would say a fair amount perhaps because I have been wearing them a lot. Currently trying to resist the urge to buy some black engineers of some description
View attachment 625860
These look so good! I’m very tempted to get them. Are they easier to get on and off?

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
These look quite nice!
So here they are.

View attachment 627825
Here is a very in-depth review of these for your enjoyment...

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I’ve got or had 3-4 pairs of MIE docs and several pairs of Trickers. I think the DMs hold up well to Trickers in terms of fit and finish, and are very comfortable for walking around all day if needed. Certainly Trickers have got thicker leather but overall I can’t complain about Made in England docs. I posted a couple of photos a few weeks ago of a couple of pairs.
I've got to admit that DM's are more comfortable than Tricker's!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delrey486