Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FL Members from North Carolina

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lately, I've seen more and more folks from NC posting on the Fedora Lounge. Where across the state do you live, and is anyone interested in trying to get folks together?

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Raleigh, here... though currently my vintage-ism lies only in my DVD & music collection (no hats or suits), so wouldn't really be able to join in on dress-up occasions.

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
I am in Durham. I wouldn't able to add to the stylish-ness of the group, either. Actually, I am pretty new to the whole Golden Era, so I think I may feel out of place. Since I don't have much knowledge about anything vintage, I would have a hard time participating in conversation.

So, I would like to have a get together, but perhaps at a later time when I wouldn't just sit all quiet in a chair :D lol

Mr Thompson

New in Town
I've been noticing the influx of Carolinians as well, and might I just add: goody for us! I'm just outside of Charlotte. It might be a hoot to get something going on, if there is enough interest, and everyone's schedule's amenable. North Carolina's a pretty big place, y'know, and I'm a pretty fair drive from the Research Triangle, or, well, just about anywhere else.;)

Big Man

kenmcneill said:
New guy from Lenoir. Just ordered my first Akubra.

Welcome to the Lounge. Lenoir is not too far from me. I used to volunteer a lot at Fort Defiance, so would pas through Lenoir on the way there.

ebb

New in Town

Hi, Asheville NC here. nice to meet you all. I have always wanted a classic fedora. Only in the past year have i bought one. I now have 3. I wear them all the time. I am hooked. Hope to see you all around.

Big Man

ebb said:
Hi, Asheville NC here. nice to meet you all. I have always wanted a classic fedora. Only in the past year have i bought one. I now have 3. I wear them all the time. I am hooked. Hope to see you all around.

Welcome! I used to visit Asheville a lot in my younger days. We always enjoyed eating at the S&W (when it was down town). My Dad used to buy his suits, shirts, ties, ans shoes from the Man's Store (when it was down town near the Imperial Theater). As a kid, I would go to the Fire Station and sit on the trucks and slide down the pole. I guess that's what got me my start. I've been a Firefighter for Oak Hill Fire/Rescue for 30 years now.

Have you been around Asheville long enough to remember any of these places?

Boodles

A-List Customer
Sorry Mr. Big, somehow I'm just now noticing this thread you started long ago. I live in Mooresville now but was in Charlotte from day one until about 20 years ago. My family has lived in Mecklenburg County for about 200 years. We visit my wife's family in Waynesville several times a year and I think about you and the '48 Mayflower whenever I see the Nebo/Lake James sign on I-40.

Big Man

Sorry Mr. Big, somehow I'm just now noticing this thread you started long ago. I live in Mooresville now but was in Charlotte from day one until about 20 years ago. My family has lived in Mecklenburg County for about 200 years. We visit my wife's family in Waynesville several times a year and I think about you and the '48 Mayflower whenever I see the Nebo/Lake James sign on I-40.

Next time you pass by, give me a shout. We'll grab a bite to eat and take a ride in the old Plymouth if you like. That is if I can get it running again. I had a problem with the starter solenoid and changed it out for a new one. Somewhere something is loose, and I can't get it back the way it should be. Oh well, another new problem to deal with ...

Boodles

A-List Customer
It would be great to meet you and the Mayflower. Sorry about the glitch with the starter.

Later this year we'll be taking our Kayaks to Lake James a time or two so we can see the lake down 15 feet. On one of those trips I'll send you a PM, a few days in advance, to see if you are about and have a few minutes that day to get a bite nearby.

In the old days we'd sometimes find that either the starter button itself or the primary wiring from the battery to the switch or from the switch to the solenoid had too much resistance, due either to bad wire or bum connection. That little bit of resistance would keep the voltage to the solenoid low enough to gum the works. Has your car been converted to 12 volts?

Next time you pass by, give me a shout. We'll grab a bite to eat and take a ride in the old Plymouth if you like. That is if I can get it running again. I had a problem with the starter solenoid and changed it out for a new one. Somewhere something is loose, and I can't get it back the way it should be. Oh well, another new problem to deal with ...

Boodles

A-List Customer
Gees Femme, I've talked with a lot of folk in Pinehurst over the years but never knew that anyone was actually from Pinehurst. Wonderful.

Even though I'm from Charlotte, which probably had 100,000 people when I was a kid, nowadays when you meet somebody here the first thing they say is "how long have you been down here"? I often answer, my family has been here for about 200 years. You must get questions like that a lot.

I'm originally from Pinehurst, NC but I live in Greensboro for the time being. It's great to see there are more members out there from NC.

Big Man

It would be great to meet you and the Mayflower. Sorry about the glitch with the starter.

Later this year we'll be taking our Kayaks to Lake James a time or two so we can see the lake down 15 feet. On one of those trips I'll send you a PM, a few days in advance, to see if you are about and have a few minutes that day to get a bite nearby.

In the old days we'd sometimes find that either the starter button itself or the primary wiring from the battery to the switch or from the switch to the solenoid had too much resistance, due either to bad wire or bum connection. That little bit of resistance would keep the voltage to the solenoid low enough to gum the works. Has your car been converted to 12 volts?

If you haven't been there yet, you should stop by the new section of Lake James State Park (on NC 126, just past the "old" part of the park). It's really nice. When my son's were little, we used to kayak all over the lake. There are some great sights to see, and the shoreline is especially interesting when the lake is down a lot.

The old Plymouth is still a 6 volt system. Everything is tight. I'm beginning to think that the new solenoid I put on is defective. I've got a couple more "trial and error" things to do to see if I can nail down the problem.

Let me know when you will be passing through. There is a good place to eat, Roma's Pizza, right in the middle of "down town Nebo" :D at the only stop light. We eat there so much that when they see us coming through the door they automatically start fixing "the regular order". I don't know what would happen if we ever changed what we ate. [huh]

Boodles

A-List Customer
We'll be sure to take a look at the new section of the Lake James Park, thanks. I hope you don't give up kayaking. Even at 63, I still enjoy a lazy paddle on flat water. I like getting out on the lakes when the water is low. A few years back we made it to Badin and Falls Lake (Yadkin/Peedee) when it was so dry all over NC and upper SC. What an interesting sight.

You are going to reel me in with the Roma's Pizza place, Mr. Big. That is a must do.

If you haven't been there yet, you should stop by the new section of Lake James State Park (on NC 126, just past the "old" part of the park). It's really nice. When my son's were little, we used to kayak all over the lake. There are some great sights to see, and the shoreline is especially interesting when the lake is down a lot.

The old Plymouth is still a 6 volt system. Everything is tight. I'm beginning to think that the new solenoid I put on is defective. I've got a couple more "trial and error" things to do to see if I can nail down the problem.

Let me know when you will be passing through. There is a good place to eat, Roma's Pizza, right in the middle of "down town Nebo" :D at the only stop light. We eat there so much that when they see us coming through the door they automatically start fixing "the regular order". I don't know what would happen if we ever changed what we ate. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld