Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit check on my new Cooper A2

TLW '90

Practically Family
So how bad or how acceptable is it ?
20240812_093500.jpg

20240812_093500.jpg

To my eye the only problem area is the shoulders.

For comparison here is my CMPD surplus which I consider a good fitting jacket.
20240509_093255.jpg

The Cooper is 3" broader in the shoulders, sleeve length is equal ( shorter if excluding the knitts ) body length is equal, and the body width is 1.5 smaller than the CMPD which is sized for a removable liner.

I just don't know which things are simply the nature of such a jacket and which things look bad.
I've never had a jacket in a supple goatskin that drapes more nor have I had anything with knitts, so I just don't know what to expect.

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Some contracts have wider shoulders and some narrower. For A2 I prefer the wider shoulder contracts otherwise the mobility will be very limited. I think the your fit is fine for A2, you can't expect the A2 to fit like cafe racers or half belts.
Here's my relaxed shoulder A2,
IMG_7137.jpg

TLW '90

Practically Family
Thanks for the reassurance.
Btw the pocket flaps on your A2 are awesome.
I didn't pay attention to mine when I bought it, and when I started doing a little research afterwards I read about how the Coopers had a boring square flap compared to others.
Apparently not all of them because I was surprised that mine were pointed, nothing crazy or cool looking like your jacket but certainly more visually appealing than the square flaps some had.

Last edited:

TLW '90

Practically Family
The jacket fits you well. If you look at the original A2 jacket, they mostly have big shoulders View attachment 632745
Now that really makes me happy with how this jacket fits.
I completely forgot Steve wore an A2 in the great escape, there were too many great actors like him James Garner Charles Bronson and Donald Pleasance in the movie for his jacket to capture my attention.

There's nothing in that picture that I can call out as a bad fit, but then if I looked like Steve McQueen we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

TLW '90

Practically Family
unless the pics are lying. it looks big and bulky.
They might be a litte bit, because the measurements check out aside from of course the shoulders.
I am just wearing a T shirt under it which is something I basically do when I can just barely get away with wearing a jacket, so the fit that I normally like is based on layering.

javajakamama

Familiar Face
They might be a litte bit, because the measurements check out aside from of course the shoulders.
I am just wearing a T shirt under it which is something I basically do when I can just barely get away with wearing a jacket, so the fit that I normally like is based on layering.

it's pretty amazing how our minds interpret sizing with a capture in time. it's like once you see it, it can't be undone nor will you think it's anything other than what you see. even though it's very sliding and not what you see.

many pics lie with infinite detail concerning perception . it's just like taking watch sizing pics.

TLW '90

Practically Family
The fit Looks fine to me, looks very comfortable both open or closed.

I have a jacket thats more comfortable open than closed which I don't find ideal, and the CMPD surplus is comfortable either way except when sitting down but thankfully that one has a two way zipper I can open from the bottom when sitting

This jacket is comfortable opened or closed sitting or standing which is great.

Viking752

Practically Family
The Cooper looks good on you, the A-2 style and fit can be challenging. I went through 4-5 of them including Avirex, Cooper, Vanson , Cockpit USA , Schott 174 to land on this Schott 184. It may not be the perfect fit for the purist but I find it comfortable and easy to wear and side entry pockets are a must for me.
IMG_1937.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1