Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Post and First Panama Hat!

Luvwine1

New in Town
I am a brand new member. However, I was a long time lurker often mining the archives here for information. While I have a number of Akubra hats I enjoy, I only recently began reading about Panama hats. I just got my first one (with another on order elsewhere) and though perhaps someone might benefit from my experience.

I decided not to spend too much on my first couple of Panama hats, so my first order was from Panama Hats Direct. I read here that the glued on ribbons were a major criticism re PHD, so I asked them to sew the ribbon. They agreed. My first hat is a “Havana” model, size 62, in “super fino” grade. I also chose a brim around 3” in size for sun coverage. I have a “fino fino” “trilby” on order from Panama Hats Depot and will be curious to compare. Communication was good. Pics below. Hat fits well—slightly loose— but expect the leather sweat will shrink a bit to make it even better. My only wish is that the hat were a bit “deeper” as there is no space between the top of my head and the interior of the crown. Still, this is not a “hiking hat” but rather a sun hat, so I expect it will serve me well.
IMG_8373 Large.jpeg
IMG_8372 Large.jpeg
IMG_8371 Large.jpeg
IMG_8375 Large.jpeg

I am a brand new member. However, I was a long time lurker often mining the archives here for information. While I have a number of Akubra hats I enjoy, I only recently began reading about Panama hats. I just got my first one (with another on order elsewhere) and though perhaps someone might benefit from my experience.

I decided not to spend too much on my first couple of Panama hats, so my first order was from Panama Hats Direct. I read here that the glued on ribbons were a major criticism re PHD, so I asked them to sew the ribbon. They agreed. My first hat is a “Havana” model, size 62, in “super fino” grade. I also chose a brim around 3” in size for sun coverage. I have a “fino fino” “trilby” on order from Panama Hats Depot and will be curious to compare. Communication was good. Pics below. Hat fits well—slightly loose— but expect the leather sweat will shrink a bit to make it even better. My only wish is that the hat were a bit “deeper” as there is no space between the top of my head and the interior of the crown. Still, this is not a “hiking hat” but rather a sun hat, so I expect it will serve me well. View attachment 628530 View attachment 628531 View attachment 628532 View attachment 628533
Do they now offer leather sweats as standard? When I ordered mine about 18 months ago they only offered cloth sweat bands.

Luvwine1

New in Town
Do they now offer leather sweats as standard? When I ordered mine about 18 months ago they only offered cloth sweat bands.
Yes. I read about the cloth sweats in the past, but as you can see, the sweats are now leather standard. I am sure they would do cloth if preferred. I was also pleasantly surprised they agreed to sew the ribbon. I am not knowledgeable enough to comment on the quality of the grosgrain ribbon. I think the leather sweats in the Akubra hats I have seem nicer but I only just got my PHD hat.

Yes. I read about the cloth sweats in the past, but as you can see, the sweats are now leather standard. I am sure they would do cloth if preferred. I was also pleasantly surprised they agreed to sew the ribbon. I am not knowledgeable enough to comment on the quality of the grosgrain ribbon. I think the leather sweats in the Akubra hats I have seem nicer but I only just got my PHD hat.
I ordered my PHD hat without a ribbon and without a sweat so I could sew on vintage ribbon and a quality sweat. I ordered a super fino and think the weave quality is quite good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads