Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filson Mackinaw Work Jacket

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16736

Haven't noticed this little guy before. It's a smart wool work jacket with flannel-lined body and satin-lined sleeves. Action back. Adjustable waist tabs. Inside pocket. Looks vintage, but it's brand new and returnable if you don't love it. Gray-black plaid is very nice. Looks like something Marlon Brando might've worn in On The Waterfront.

http://www.filson.com/men/coats-jackets/mackinaw-work-jacket-11010776.html#605

Last edited by a moderator:

Stringmaster

One of the Regulars
I just got one today in Navy--sharp jacket! I plan to use it as a sort of business casual jacket for work and for wearing with jeans on the town. I like the vintage vibe--kind of like a fancy mechanics jacket. They do fit big--I'm 5'10" and 162 and bought a small. It's a trimmer fit but not restrictive with the action back.

RMF308

One of the Regulars
Yes, it's a great jacket, I have a black and grey one. The jacket is also lined and it's made out of the thicker 26oz Mackinaw wool vs the 24oz wool of the Mackinaw cruiser.

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Yeah, I want one too.
Stringmaster, could you possibly post a pic of you wearing yours.
Hard to believe they fit that large.
Thanks.

Stringmaster

One of the Regulars
Yeah, I want one too.
Stringmaster, could you possibly post a pic of you wearing yours.
Hard to believe they fit that large.
Thanks.
Had the wife snap a few quick ones. It is a trimmer, more tailored look/fit, but I think it works for this jacket--easy to layer over a heavy flannel, but probably not a heavy sweater (which I wouldn't do anyway). Doesn't feel restrictive. This is the size Small, and I'm about 5'10", 162 lbs, 31-32 waist pants.

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Thanks Stringmaster. That looks great on you.
BTW, what's your chest measurement?
I thought I liked the gray/black plaid, but the Navy also looks killer.
I'm only 5' 7", 150 lbs.
Does that mean that I have to buy an XS?

Stringmaster

One of the Regulars
Thanks Stringmaster. That looks great on you.
BTW, what's your chest measurement?
I thought I liked the gray/black plaid, but the Navy also looks killer.
I'm only 5' 7", 150 lbs.
Does that mean that I have to buy an XS?
Thanks! I usually wear a 40 regular jacket. You might ask Filson for their recommendation--that's what I did. They show measurements on the website bit think they have more info on the different styles. I used the online chat. There are vendors that offer free shipping and returns like Zappos too.

Had the wife snap a few quick ones. It is a trimmer, more tailored look/fit, but I think it works for this jacket--easy to layer over a heavy flannel, but probably not a heavy sweater (which I wouldn't do anyway). Doesn't feel restrictive. This is the size Small, and I'm about 5'10", 162 lbs, 31-32 waist pants.

That's really sharp and looks quite versatile. Could wear that to work or out for fun and be equally comfortable. The two way zipper is a nice touch too.

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
That's really sharp and looks quite versatile. Could wear that to work or out for fun and be equally comfortable. The two way zipper is a nice touch too.
The 2 way zipper is nice but I don't get it on a shorter jacket.
On a long coat, sure, but on a shorter jacket...

D

Deleted member 16736

Another, much cheaper option ($220) is this Johnson Woolen Mills Field Jacket. Hip-length. Button cuffs. Zip pocket. Handwarmer pockets with vintage-style pocket stitching. Wide collar. Quilted back, but not sure about rest of jacket. (For the money, you can have it re-lined in rayon or anything you want.) Assorted colors. Nice in navy.

Attachments

• 10-73.jpg
    10-73.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,470

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
That is nice Joel. And it comes in a lot of interesting colors.
I wish they listed the wool weight, though. I really need something warm and short.
Now that you started it, does anybody else have other suggestions in a similar jacket?
Thanks.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
Now that you started it, does anybody else have other suggestions in a similar jacket?
Thanks.

Ralph Lauren do a lot of jackets in this style, I have an unlined 100% wool jacket and a lined one much like the above only with some leather reinforcements which I picked up just recently on eBay. Despite their high retail prices they seem to sell for very little on there.

D

Deleted member 16736

That is nice Joel. And it comes in a lot of interesting colors.
I wish they listed the wool weight, though. I really need something warm and short.
Thanks.

Thanks. I actually like it better now than the Filson model, and it's almost half the price. The pockets on the Filson seem way too high for the jacket. Looks almost awkward to put your hands in them.

Check out this Johnson Mills leather-trimmed wool jac coat in three combinations, including grey wool with black leather.

http://johnsonwoolenmills.com/product/jac-shirts-leather/

There's also this flannel-lined Johnson Mills wool shirt in assorted colors/plaids. Lovely in rich burgundy.

http://johnsonwoolenmills.com/product/flannel-lined-wool-shirts/

Attachments

• 5f-33.jpg
    5f-33.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 899
  • 4_lc-07.jpg
    4_lc-07.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 916
Last edited by a moderator:

IXL

One Too Many
^^^Those higher-than-usual pocket placements on certain Filson jackets allow one to cradle a rifle/shotgun while keeping the hand in the pocket. At least on any of them in their "hunting" line. It can be a nice feature while strolling across a three acre field toward the blind.

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
OK, I couldn't stand it so I purchased one of the Filson's in grey/black plaid. Like I said above, I'm 5'7", 150-155lbs soaking wet with a 40" chest. I bought a small and it fits great with room for a sweater if it's really cold. My local dealer sold it to me for $340 so I got a decent deal on it. This is one really nice jacket, with impeccable fit/finish everywhere. The only gripe I have is that there needs to be another button on the cuffs to close them up tighter to keep wind out. Other than that, I love it. I'll try to get some fit pix up later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld